Dabo Swiney: Bold calls in crucial times define a coach !!

He won, so it is hard to criticize. That said, I thought the way he handled the last minute, pace and timeout use, was horrible.

No lie. They needed to move a lot faster in that final minute. It almost cost them.

Reactions: 1 person
No lie. They needed to move a lot faster in that final minute. It almost cost them.

Yep. A tipped pass or bobbled drop and that extra second ticks off and game is over.

You'd look real dumb running out of clock with timeouts in your pocket.

They had the luxury of having Boyd and then Watson. Both threw for over 10,000 yards in their career and were great rushers too. Either they have a great QB coach or were fortunate enough to have two gems. It seems their offense will take a step back with a new play caller and I do not believe Johnson or Lawrence fit their scheme as much.

It'll be interesting to see how their offense is without Watson, Scott, and Williams. But the true difference in teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc right now and Tennessee is they are able to plug and place from their depth chart and never miss a beat. They still win 10+ games. Every. Season. We have to build quality depth to start truly competing.

Regardless, right now Clemson is whipping us on the recruiting trail. Almost every kid who is interested in us seems to be more interested in Clemson when they get that offer. But can you blame them? And now Clemson has a national championship trophy to show off. And any young WR is instantly interested in Clemson. Recently, they are WRU.

They had the luxury of having Boyd and then Watson. Both threw for over 10,000 yards in their career and were great rushers too. Either they have a great QB coach or were fortunate enough to have two gems. It seems their offense will take a step back with a new play caller and I do not believe Johnson or Lawrence fit their scheme as much.

It'll be interesting to see how their offense is without Watson, Scott, and Williams. But the true difference in teams like Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, etc right now and Tennessee is they are able to plug and place from their depth chart and never miss a beat. They still win 10+ games. Every. Season. We have to build quality depth to start truly competing.

Regardless, right now Clemson is whipping us on the recruiting trail. Almost every kid who is interested in us seems to be more interested in Clemson when they get that offer. But can you blame them? And now Clemson has a national championship trophy to show off. And any young WR is instantly interested in Clemson. Recently, they are WRU.

Sometimes it's a great coach, sometimes it's a great player. Cam Newton is the reason Auburn won a NC, not Gus. Vince Young, not Mack. Tebow a big reason for Florida success. Watson and Dabo, we will see. Sometimes a once in a lifetime player comes along and can change the whole dynamic of a program. Those players make their coaches look 10 times better than they actually are and can actually win in spite of their coach's gameplan. Hope UT can get one soon.

Funny how he spent his first 3 or 4 years "Clemsoning" and losing to SC, but now he's a bold genius. #sportsnarratives

He needed a the best qb in the country to win his big ball games. Look for Dabo to go Sumlin after Watson leaves.

lol. All coaching decisions are 50/50 anyway. Get it right and you're a genius. Flub it and you're the biggest idiot to ever put on headsets.

This all day.

If Dabo loses on a bobbled/dropped pass he gets flamed. People would say "he had Alabama's defense wore out, why didn't he take the points and beat them in OT?"

What-ifs, Dabo got this one right. I'm happy for him, either team winning sucks for a Vols fan, so when in doubt root against Bama. However, let's not act like this is Dabo's 4th year either.

Before that play, they were 3-3 on scoring TDs in the Red Zone in the game. They were 3-4 in the Red Zone against OSU in the semifinal. They were 5-5 in the Red Zone against VT in the ACC Championship.

It is a lot easier for a coach to play for a TD and the win in that situation when you've scored a TD 11 of the last 12 times you've been in the Red Zone against a conference championship game opponent and the #3 and #1 teams in the country.

Would Butch have made the same call? You can say no, based on what you saw from UT this year. But if UT is in that situation with the success inside the 20 that Clemson has, I think he would.

Not necessarily. We stormed back against the Aggies with injuries and turnovers, yet he was a pansy not going for two to win the game. Even in post game, he said there was never talk or a conversation about going for two.

I think Dabo got lucky. A Deshaun Watson doesnt come along every day

I think Butch will have to have the same type of luck to win a NC here

This bunch can turn a discussion of a Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition to a Butch sucks thread in the bat of an eye..

Well, it's common knowledge Butch is nothing to look at in a thong.

Not necessarily. We stormed back against the Aggies with injuries and turnovers, yet he was a pansy not going for two to win the game. Even in post game, he said there was never talk or a conversation about going for two.

We were moving down the field at will on them, going for 2 would have been a bad call

Dabo may not be a coaching genius, but at least he surrounded himself with great coordinators. It may have taken a roster full of great players and an amazing QB to finally win a National Championship, but heck I'd take being in the conversation and winning 10+ games every season too.

Reactions: 3 people
Dabo may not be a coaching genius, but at least he surrounded himself with great coordinators. It may have taken a roster full of great players and an amazing QB to finally win a National Championship, but heck I'd take being in the conversation and winning 10+ games every season too.

He was smart enough to take Boyd after the offensive geniuses in Knoxville told him to take a hike. He was smart enough to see what Boulware could become. He was smart enough to win his division for the first time ever in his year 1.i don't think Dabo is the next Saban but I'd consider him a huge upgrade over jones.

I think this season we'll get to see Butch's killer instinct in action as never before.

I agree. It'll be sink or swim. I think this season will show us if Butch can take this team to the next level or not. I just hope we haven't missed our window to do so. Go Vols!

Dabo's not a great coach and often mismanages the clock as poorly as Butch.

What Dabo does is recruit like a machine and hire great assistants. And he still almost blew it this season with NC State missing a 33 yard field goal at the end of regulation to go to overtime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but he's much better in the recruit's living room than he is on game day.

Reactions: 2 people
Dabo's not a great coach and often mismanages the clock as poorly as Butch.

What Dabo does is recruit like a machine and hire great assistants. And he still almost blew it this season with NC State missing a 33 yard field goal at the end of regulation to go to overtime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat, but he's much better in the recruit's living room than he is on game day.
he did it in the national championship. when clemson was driving inside the 20 they didn't call a time out and were down to like 10-15 going for a spike with a time out left. even the announcers asked why wasn't he calling a time out. no coach is perfect. even the best

VN Store

Back