Current Starters who get replaced by new comers

Please dear baby jesus spare me from watching McNeil take horrible angles and getting railed in pass coverage another year. I honestly see tkjr as the ss. Would not surprise me in the least bit to see Gaulden or Evan berry take the number 2 corner spot and see mosely and Payne shirt.

McNeil's aight. He's not a world-beater but very serviceable, I could see him having a breakout year. Not sure he's warranted the hate you're giving him, at least as it stands right now.

Reactions: 6 people
McNeil's aight. He's not a world-beater but very serviceable, I could see him having a breakout year. Not sure he's warranted the hate you're giving him, at least as it stands right now.

He's not terrible, he just hasn't improved from his freshman year.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat out.

What bothers me is how slow he is and seems to always be chasing the play and never making it.

Reactions: 1 person
What bothers me is how slow he is and seems to always be chasing the play and never making it.

I think his speed in and of itself isn't too bad for a safety. I think his instincts/play recognition is just slow enough that he's often late getting to where he needs to be. And sometimes the angles he takes are really bad.

I remember reading that the coaches practiced the exact play where Matthews had his big catch in last year's Vandy game over 20 times in one practice because they knew it would be coming. McNeil still couldn't quite get there in time to make the play.

Unless the influx of competition really lights a fire under his behind and makes the light come on in his head, I think by midseason he'll have been unseated by one of our new safeties.

I don't see Bates taking JRM's spot, but I do see him playing a decent amount this year. I think they will slide him in at LB some on passing downs maybe whenever they let Maggitt line up at DE to get a decent rush on passing downs. Bates also has good speed apparently, so I think that would be the best way to get him involved early.

But off the top of my head a couple of the most likely to get replaced, and most interesting are Brendan Downs, and McNeil. It might not be right away, buy I expect Helm will end up being the starter by years end after a little time in the weight room and learning the system. I also think TKjr could end up starting from day one if he is as good as advertised, and that is mostly because of the weakness we have in the secondary. He could either take Mcneil's spot at safety and McNeil could get moved to Nickel and Coleman the bench. Or TKjr could just end up playing nickel himself and taking Coleman's spot directly. If he doesn't end up playing much in the secondary this year they should still try and find a way to get him some touches at PR or KR. Makes me nervous most of the time having a freshman on PR but I think KR would be ok. But maybe give him a couple looks at PR against some of the weaker teams on our schedule or just any game where we have a decent lead.

Hurd is an obvious choice but he will get plenty of playing time regardless just because of the position he plays, well that and he is also very talented. So it doesn't really matter who starts at RB as both Lane and Hurd will see plenty of carries, and rest assured we will need both of them to make it through the SEC.

Malone also looks like he will def start, and is probably the most obvious choice. Pearson also, will at least play a lot if he doesn't end up taking Pig's spot.

And then we have Medley. I've never seen him kick but if he is as good as advertised he could easily start from day 1 given our struggles at kicker the past few years (outside of Palardy's last year).

One more thing. I think Justin King will end up being a good player for us at some point and will break out by the end of the year. He's too good of an athlete not to. Looked good his freshman year and have been hoping to see more of him after not much playing time last year. I like our athletic ability at LB a lot more this year than I have in a while. Should help us not get burned on the outside as much hopefully

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't see Bates taking JRM's spot, but I do see him playing a decent amount this year. I think they will slide him in at LB some on passing downs maybe whenever they let Maggitt line up at DE to get a decent rush on passing downs. Bates also has good speed apparently, so I think that would be the best way to get him involved early.

But off the top of my head a couple of the most likely to get replaced, and most interesting are Brendan Downs, and McNeil. It might not be right away, buy I expect Helm will end up being the starter by years end after a little time in the weight room and learning the system. I also think TKjr could end up starting from day one if he is as good as advertised, and that is mostly because of the weakness we have in the secondary. He could either take Mcneil's spot at safety and McNeil could get moved to Nickel and Coleman the bench. Or TKjr could just end up playing nickel himself and taking Coleman's spot directly. If he doesn't end up playing much in the secondary this year they should still try and find a way to get him some touches at PR or KR. Makes me nervous most of the time having a freshman on PR but I think KR would be ok. But maybe give him a couple looks at PR against some of the weaker teams on our schedule or just any game where we have a decent lead.

Hurd is an obvious choice but he will get plenty of playing time regardless just because of the position he plays, well that and he is also very talented. So it doesn't really matter who starts at RB as both Lane and Hurd will see plenty of carries, and rest assured we will need both of them to make it through the SEC.

Malone also looks like he will def start, and is probably the most obvious choice. Pearson also, will at least play a lot if he doesn't end up taking Pig's spot.

And then we have Medley. I've never seen him kick but if he is as good as advertised he could easily start from day 1 given our struggles at kicker the past few years (outside of Palardy's last year).

One more thing. I think Justin King will end up being a good player for us at some point and will break out by the end of the year. He's too good of an athlete not to. Looked good his freshman year and have been hoping to see more of him after not much playing time last year. I like our athletic ability at LB a lot more this year than I have in a while. Should help us not get burned on the outside as much hopefully

A well-reasoned analysis. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Supposedly went from 165 to 183 in record time. I'm guessing water weight. Still very skinny.

He gained water weight?? WTF? What did he do, drink 4 gallons of water before weighing in? hehehe

Seriously though, the secondary is the spot on the field that could be the most in flux. The one safety position and one corner could end up seeing a number of possible new faces come fall.

I really like Bates also but I don't think he snags a starting spot until next season. It will be nice to have him pushing JRM though.

He gained water weight?? WTF? What did he do, drink 4 gallons of water before weighing in? hehehe

Seriously though, the secondary is the spot on the field that could be the most in flux. The one safety position and one corner could end up seeing a number of possible new faces come fall.

I really like Bates also but I don't think he snags a starting spot until next season. It will be nice to have him pushing JRM though.

Was kinda kidding because they said he gained 18 lbs in about 5 weeks. Yet, he still looks very frail and clearly needs to put on weight. Thought maybe he put on "water weight" and then sweat it off or something. ☺️
The good thing is that he's a very talented kid, incredibly fast kid who will really be a player once he does put that weight on and get stronger.

Was kinda kidding because they said he gained 18 lbs in about 5 weeks. Yet, he still looks very frail and clearly needs to put on weight. Thought maybe he put on "water weight" and then sweat it off or something. ☺️
The good thing is that he's a very talented kid, incredibly fast kid who will really be a player once he does put that weight on and get stronger.

Haha I got ya.

He still has 4 months so I hope he puts it to good use because he is a sure piece of talent the way I see it also :)

Haha I got ya.

He still has 4 months so I hope he puts it to good use because he is a sure piece of talent the way I see it also :)

Me too. Coaches really seem to like his toughness and how he competes. And man that speed....

Its been so since I've hear anything about King, I honestly didn't think he was with the team anymore...:dunno:

I think Bates will be a permanent player at LB. Not sure if we have the 'depth' for a bonifide replacement; however, I think he will play more so than most outside of Curt and AJ.

JRM had a very very solid spring. Hubbs thinks that he has that position locked down this year.

I think Bates would have to come in and ball like Eric Berry to take that spot away from JRM.

I like Chris Weatherd to play a lot don't know if he will start. Gavin Bryant should see a lot of linebacker duty as well. On the DL we have three very good freshmen coming in so those guys better get a to work and get better because help is coming.

Maybe his point but not clearly stated whether he was talking 2013 starters or projected 2014 starters when the "kids" get to camp.

Its been so since I've hear anything about King, I honestly didn't think he was with the team anymore...:dunno:

yeah I thought the same thing halfway through last fall, and had to ask the board about him. He apparently spent last year just trying to find a new position, and redshirted, but I believe he is pretty settled in at LB now. Although I did like him running the option in the wildcat his freshman year. Looked pretty good a few times. But I don't think CBJ is into experimenting with the wildcat package as much as Dooley was. Nevertheless, the kid is a good looking athlete who I believe will eventually make an impact no matter where he lines up. Just may take a little while to adjust to the new position, but he has three more years to play now thanks to last years redshirt. That was a smart move IMO

Last edited:
I like Chris Weatherd to play a lot don't know if he will start. Gavin Bryant should see a lot of linebacker duty as well. On the DL we have three very good freshmen coming in so those guys better get a to work and get better because help is coming.

Gavin Bryant seems to be overlooked, guess its his grades? That dude is mean.

Gavin Bryant seems to be overlooked, guess its his grades? That dude is mean.

You're right, he is, me included. Don't know why cause it was huge when he verbaled to us. Butch signed so many studs a few are getting lost in the shuffle I guess.

We do look forward to seeing Gavin Bryant, but he is neither one of the established vets, nor one of the young and improved holdovers like JRM, nor one we've seen like Jakob Johnson, nor a legacy kid like a Bates or Berry. We do want to see him, but at the moment he is just a little bit less imaginable to some of us than these others.

VN Store

Back