Curious, if you had to choose the better season would it be 2022 or 2023?

I'd take 23.... 22 was the overall more talented team and more fun to watch. But gotta respect and love the grind the 23 team put in to pull it together and peak at the right time. Making the CWS and having a chance is all you can ask for... Coach TV did a heck of a job

I’m just glad we’re having this conversation. 22 vs. 23 debate is a high class “problem” to have. Oh yeah, CWS in 21 as well. We are relevant on the national scene once again, which was a long time coming.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
22 by a mile. Best team in college baseball for three months. Finally won a SECT this century. Regular season SEC champs with a weekend to spare. The ending was as painful as any UT loss of any sport but only because of lost opportunity.

2022 - FUN, FUN, FUN. It was must see TV, some pun intended, and I watched every game I possibly could.
2023 - Best coaching job I have seen as a TN fan. Replacing all 8 starters and still making it to Omaha was fantastic.

Even though we made the WS in 2023, imo, 2022 was more successful. Reason is, it created so much fanfare around the program, that it will be felt for many years to come in recruiting and it is the main reason for the stadium upgrades.

Reactions: greasemachine
1989 because it had Chuck Webb running all over the field and 1990 didn’t.

Vols disappointed in 1990 with arguably more talent. 2 losses and 2 ties following the 11-1 89 season that only got the Vols a Cotton Bowl bid

2022 was the most dominant modern team UT ever produced.

It ended in an upset but there was zero doubt it was the best team of the year. It won 2 trophies. It was the #1 team for 80% of the season and the #1 seed. It was the best hitting and pitching team in the nation.

2023 had good matchups and advanced further in tourney but had far fewer wins and far more losses. It basically won 2 games more than 2022 in the post season. It didn't hit consistently. For some reason it didn't pitch as well until the end of the season despite having nearly everyone back.

Mine is 2023. Advancing to CWS being the difference regardless of overall wins and entertainment value.

It’s a good question. I had more fun in 2022, but 2023 was enjoyable in a different way. Seeing the team turn it around to make it to Omaha was special. I’ll say that 2023 was the season we needed to have after 2022…getting to Omaha and winning a game.

2023, but not until May. 2022 was more fun to watch until after the SECCG. Then it was not nearly as fun.

just for poots and googles, can you imagine if the 23 team had gilbert or beck in the lineup? That’s what we were missing. Clutch hitting at its finest.

I am thankful none of our kids cussed the ump or flipped off an outfielder on tv. But maybe that’s why we couldn’t get a hit. We weren’t nasty enough.
Last years line up was ridiculous. Them two plus Luc, Trey, and Ortega were also clutch.

How did the 23 team exceed expectations? Just curious cause I keep seeing this comment.
Replaced 8 starters and followed perhaps best team in college baseball history. The 23 preseason rankings were a joke and were based on success of 21 and 22 teams. 23 started 5-10 and finished 11-4 in SEC. A great story of facing adversity and overcoming it. Best coaching job I’ve witnessed.

Replaced 8 starters and followed perhaps best team in college baseball history. The 23 preseason rankings were a joke and were based on success of 21 and 22 teams. 23 started 5-10 and finished 11-4 in SEC. A great story of facing adversity and overcoming it. Best coaching job I’ve witnessed.
Yep, all preseason rankings are a farce with a rare exception here and there. I do think we were a top 10 team, but #2 was crazy

2022 - FUN, FUN, FUN. It was must see TV, some pun intended, and I watched every game I possibly could.
2023 - Best coaching job I have seen as a TN fan. Replacing all 8 starters and still making it to Omaha was fantastic.

Even though we made the WS in 2023, imo, 2022 was more successful. Reason is, it created so much fanfare around the program, that it will be felt for many years to come in recruiting and it is the main reason for the stadium upgrades.
Agree 100% 🧡

You should have witnessed my 98 and 99 tee ball teams. We went from 1-11 to 11-1. I kind of think I had the greatest coaching job in the history of all baseball. Just saying.

Mine is 2023. Advancing to CWS being the difference regardless of overall wins and entertainment value.
Very compelling question, and here's my answer. There is a national champion every season, but a team like the '22 Vols comes along once every 50 years or so. In fact, many long-time experts called that the best college baseball team they ever witnessed. Not to mention, watching wins is a lot more fun to me than watching losses. So, my vote is for the '22 team. Having said all that, I was very proud of this team's resolve. TV is the real deal, and if he stays a while, we will bring home the big one at least once.

Don’t disagree for the most part. But the 2021 team is actually responsible for the resurgence of the program, the planned stadium upgrades, and the huge contract extension for Vitello. That all happened before the 2022 season.

2022 Vols was the most fun I’ve had watching baseball since some of those 90s Braves teams. I didn’t live in Tennessee when Helton was leading the team, but I’m sure it was a lot of fun to watch.

You should have witnessed my 98 and 99 tee ball teams. We went from 1-11 to 11-1. I kind of think I had the greatest coaching job in the history of all baseball. Just saying.
I think I remember reading about that. One of the best “worst to first” stories in recent times. Kudos to you! Haha

VN Store

Back