Cuonzo releases Landry

There's a lot of assuming going on in this thread. Nowhere in the article does it state Coach Martin hung him out, or that he cut ties with Landry. How do we know that Martin didn't sit down with the Landry family to discuss his options. In that sit down made it clear that there likely wouldn't be a lot of playing time, and because of this Travon asked for a release? You can't release a player from a LOI without his approval, in other words landry either had to ask for it, or approve it.

I'm not saying this is exactly how it went down, but there are players released from their LOI every single year, if it's as simple as that it's truly not a big deal. What I do find funny is that in November when Landry signed there's people saying "Wtf CCM, you have no clue what you're doing, you're lost"...no Landry gets released from his LOI and it's "Wtf CCM, you have no clue what you're doing, you're lost".

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
There's a lot of assuming going on in this thread. Nowhere in the article does it state Coach Martin hung him out, or that he cut ties with Landry. How do we know that Martin didn't sit down with the Landry family to discuss his options. In that sit down made it clear that there likely wouldn't be a lot of playing time, and because of this Travon asked for a release? You can't release a player from a LOI without his approval, in other words landry either had to ask for it, or approve it.

I'm not saying this is exactly how it went down, but there are players released from their LOI every single year, if it's as simple as that it's truly not a big deal. What I do find funny is that in November when Landry signed there's people saying "Wtf CCM, you have no clue what you're doing, you're lost"...no Landry gets released from his LOI and it's "Wtf CCM, you have no clue what you're doing, you're lost".

Can you honestly not see the difference? He should not have signed him bc it was obvious he was not going to add anything to our team....he did sign him and then ran him off within two months of him showing up on campus. Telling him that u will never ever play is the same thing as running him off.....I'm positive that wasn't the recruiting speech he gave him when he got him to sign.....it's not right or even close to ethical at all but I'm glad he did it bc Martin is not a high major player.

Reactions: 1 person
It's just business. Good call by CCM. Now let's get ready to Dance in 2014!! Elite 8 or better.[/

I agree it's just business, in business you're fired for not performing. Wait somethings not right here....can't quite remember... Something about Georgia twice.... Then NIT.... First round mercer .... Almost had it..

Reactions: 3 people
If you average less than 3 points or 3 asst a game you have to know your chances of playing at the D1 level is slim. It's business, hope he finds the right college that will be a fit for him.

Reactions: 4 people
If you average less than 3 points or 3 asst a game you have to know your chances of playing at the D1 level is slim. It's business, hope he finds the right college that will be a fit for him.

Sadly he had better stats than the guy who got his scholarship.

Can you honestly not see the difference? He should not have signed him bc it was obvious he was not going to add anything to our team....he did sign him and then ran him off within two months of him showing up on campus. Telling him that u will never ever play is the same thing as running him off.....I'm positive that wasn't the recruiting speech he gave him when he got him to sign.....it's not right or even close to ethical at all but I'm glad he did it bc Martin is not a high major player.

Show me an "ethical" coach, by your apparent definition, in D1 basketball. Releasing players from their LOI is hardly an uncommon practice, this happens weekly, if not daily, this time of year. I guess you'd have found it more "ethical", if Martin would've lied to Landry and said "oh yea you'll be getting PT here", and then let him rode the bench and transfer next year?

Right or wrong situations like this have become the norm in collegiate athletics. :dunno:

Some people aren't going to like this but CCM has lost any integrity he ever had with this move.

CCM let Landry sign early then let him sit through the late signing period before letting him go. That is something that you just cannot do and expect anybody believe a thing you have to say from now on.

It isn't like he let him go for another elite recruit, nobody knows if Thompson is that much better than Landry, you sure cant trust Martin and staffs evaluations of him.

If there was any chance this was going to happen then you dont let Landry sign in the early period and let him know you are going to continue to recruit PGs'

You just cannot let it play out like this.

Unacceptable in my book and should be in everyone's book as well

Reactions: 6 people
Seems like a pretty dirty thing to do to me. Maybe CCM did sit him down and tell him there would be no PT for him. Maybe he should have done that 6 months ago so the kid could evaluate his options. CCM strung him along in case he did not land a better player, I think that is obvious. It's a tactic I think you get a bad reputation for and with the way our BB team has been playing, I don't think CCM should be doing it.

It isn't like he let him go for another elite recruit, nobody knows if Thompson is that much better than Landry, you sure cant trust Martin and staffs evaluations of him.

Lmao I was waiting for this. Sign Landry and people b!tch that he sucks, sign a top 150 player in the country at his position and now the move gets criticized. Some people will always find something to b!tch about.

Reactions: 10 people
Seems like a pretty dirty thing to do to me. Maybe CCM did sit him down and tell him there would be no PT for him. Maybe he should have done that 6 months ago so the kid could evaluate his options. CCM strung him along in case he did not land a better player, I think that is obvious. It's a tactic I think you get a bad reputation for and with the way our BB team has been playing, I don't think CCM should be doing it.

You think Martin told Landry YOU HAVE to sign your LOI in November? From everything I've heard Martin was hoping he would wait, because of this right here, but Landry wanted to go ahead and sign.

Your last sentence is a bit hypocritical isn't it? You say the team has been playing poorly, but criticize him for upgrading a position of need with a top 150 recruit.

Last edited:
Well, it's a crappy thing to string a kid along like what was done with Landry, but it is what it is. This is done all the time. Saban does this to 10 commitments a year. Butch Jones will do this to this upcoming class with all the commitments he has already. Landry signed his LOI in Nov at the beginning of basketball season. He failed to improve, everyone knew this. This move is good for TN and Landry. It's much better to part with him now, then to do it next year. He didn't improve his Senior year, CCM was honest with him and his family and it was the best move for both parties. Maybe it could have happened sooner, but realistically, there could have been a scholly available for Landry a week ago.

One thing that will sting from all this is bye bye Lindsey.

Lmao I was waiting for this. Sign Landry and people b!tch that he sucks, sign a top 150 player in the country at his position and now the move gets criticized. Some people will always find something to b!tch about.

Your integrity is right up there with Martin's. He signed a 3 star PG to replace a 3 star PG who he screwed.

Show me an "ethical" coach, by your apparent definition, in D1 basketball. Releasing players from their LOI is hardly an uncommon practice, this happens weekly, if not daily, this time of year. I guess you'd have found it more "ethical", if Martin would've lied to Landry and said "oh yea you'll be getting PT here", and then let him rode the bench and transfer next year?

Show me a link where it happens all the time.....I could have told him last November not to let him sign.....is really that bad of a talent evaluator....it is not that he cut him free....it's that he strung the kid out till may.....as a dad I would be more than pissed. I have no respect for Zo anymore.

Well, it's a crappy thing to string a kid along like what was done with Landry, but it is what it is. This is done all the time. Saban does this to 10 commitments a year. Butch Jones will do this to this upcoming class with all the commitments he has already. Landry signed his LOI in Nov at the beginning of basketball season. He failed to improve, everyone knew this. This move is good for TN and Landry. It's much better to part with him now, then to do it next year. He didn't improve his Senior year, CCM was honest with him and his family and it was the best move for both parties. Maybe it could have happened sooner, but realistically, there could have been a scholly available for Landry a week ago.

One thing that will sting from all this is bye bye Lindsey.

Neither will sign guys then tell them they dont have room for them during the summer

Show me a link where it happens all the time.....I could have told him last November not to let him sign.....is really that bad of a talent evaluator....it is not that he cut him free....it's that he strung the kid out till may.....as a dad I would be more than pissed. I have no respect for Zo anymore.

Bolded part 1: seriously, this is the first player being released from a LOI you've ever heard about? There's been at least 20 this offseason alone I would say, look em up, it won't take long.

Bolded part 2: that's your opinion, not fact. You don't know he was strung out, maybe he asked for a release, YOU DON'T KNOW.

Bolded part 3: well sorry to hear that, I'm sure that hurts Zos feelings. However, a father of a top 20 recruit and 5* thinks Zo is the guy who should be his father figure the next 4 years, and the respect a father a recruit has is probably more important than yours.

Last edited:
You think Martin told Landry YOU HAVE to sign your LOI in November? From everything I've heard Martin was hoping he would wait, because of this right here, but Landry wanted to go ahead and sign.

Your last sentence is a bit hypocritical isn't it? You say the team has been playing poorly, but criticize him for upgrading a position of need with a top 150 recruit.

No, I am sure CCM did not force him to do anything. He also had not told the kid at that point he was trying to find another PG to take his spot either.

It's not hypocritical at all. My opinion of dropping a kid without warning has nothing to do with our team playing poorly. There are things you do in recruiting and things you don't. When you cross that line, let the shi*storm begin.

When your winning titles and have kids lined up around the block looking to commit, then you can pull some BS like this and usually get away with it. I thought CCM had more integrity than this.

Best of luck finding a place to play to Landry. You deserved better kid.

Martin is the coach, don't let him sign

VN Store

Back