Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Gotta admit.. dr pepper and ribs is a new one hahah
Yea, I've never done it, but some may have.

I've never been set up at a restaurant to smoke ribs, so I had to figure out the next best way. Now 35 years later I still cook them the same way. They get a little time on the grill and then in the oven. If its ever something you want to try let me know and I'll take the time out of my busy day teaching homeless kids how to read and write and type out the instructions for you.

Ribs on a grill... Spare ribs are more forgiving. Baby back ribs will go from perfectly done to burnt in less time than it takes you to drop a deuce, so, no water closet breaks for you, grill master.

Prep the ribs to your liking. Try marinating them in mojo sauce the night before or rubbing them down with Creole spices.

If it's a 3-burner gas grill, you'll fire up one burner and place the smoke box atop it. You'll arrange the rib racks on the grill off the direct heat. Cook 'em closed top. Keep the temp ~275f. Start 'em bone side down. Check 'em & move 'em around as needed ~every 30 minutes until they're done. If you want to glaze them with BBQ sauce, brush 'em only in the last 1/2 hour.

If you've a charcoal grill, bank you coals to one side (improvise a baffle if you can). Arrange the ribs off the heat. Check 'em every 15-20 minutes. Move them around as needed (objective is all racks done to the same degree at the same time).

If you're not sure about when ribs are done on the grill, you can play it safe by putting them on the grill for the first 30 minutes to give them a touch of smoke, then finish them in a slow cooker/crock pot (Put 'em in dry with no fluid).

If you're not sure about when ribs are done on the grill, you can play it safe by putting them on the grill for the first 30 minutes to give them a touch of smoke, then finish them in a slow cooker/crock pot (Put 'em in dry with no fluid).
+1 This is how we do them.

I’m one of those people who want the meat literally falling off the bone. If I ever wind up with dentures, I want to be able to eat ribs with my teeth in a glass. nom nom nom

Reactions: malinoisvol
Edit to add: I was hungry when I posted, lol.

We finish our ribs in the oven, not in a crockpot (or crackpot), wrapped in foil, no liquid. Part way through we paint them in homemade bbq sauce.

—the denture-free bit doesn’t really work, as we usually grill corn on the cob with the ribs. So we do need the toothers for that. 🌽 🌽 🌽

Reactions: Behr
+1 This is how we do them.

I’m one of those people who want the meat literally falling off the bone. If I ever wind up with dentures, I want to be able to eat ribs with my teeth in a glass. nom nom nom

Never mind.

Last edited:
Haha, that's a good one H, but he may not have a scents of humor, I think he's serial.

We like to marinate them for about 8 hours in Dr. Pepper first. The off brand Dr.Thunder has been said to work just as well and is much cheaper, but none of us have tried it.

After marinating them, place them in a crock pot and cover with water. Note: sometimes it will take more than one crock pot, depending on how many rack o ribs you have.

Cook them on low for about 2 hours. Note: If you cook longer than that, they get so tender they fall off the bones and becomes a big mess in the crock pot.

After they cool I use a sharp chefs knife, a serrated bread knife will work too, and cut them in pieces with 3 bones each.

I serve them with Kraft BBQ sauce on the side for dipping. **Shout Out to our resident Kraft executive Ill.!!
Tried something similar except I just poured almost a 2 liter of Coke in the crock pot a cooked on low for 6 hours.. No marinating needed and they were delicious to me. Sadly, I am the only one in my house that eats ribs

Reactions: Behr
Tried something similar except I just poured almost a 2 liter of Coke in the crock pot a cooked on low for 6 hours.. No marinating needed and they were delicious to me. Sadly, I am the only one in my house that eats ribs
Sorry man, its all BS. Its a joke among the regulars in here. I've never done any of that

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Young squires, young squires... Soda pop is for whole hogs only. You ought to know that.

Sorry man, its all BS. Its a joke among the regulars in here. I've never done any of that
:D It seemed kinda odd to me that YOU were cooking ribs that way but to each their own. Sadly, until I get a good grill I will have to stick to the crock pot.

:D It seemed kinda odd to me that YOU were cooking ribs that way but to each their own. Sadly, until I get a good grill I will have to stick to the crock pot.

Lulz, I don't know what you mean by "YOU", cause I ain't nothing special, that would be Joy, he a special Secy beast.

I understand some people use soda to marinate meat. I don't. I don't marinate meat period, unless someone requests me to, and I would never use Dr. Pepper, Coke, Pepsi, 7-Up etc.

Maybe it is good, but I know there are many other ways that are much better. I just can't justify marinating a good piece of meat in Soda Pop. But like you said, to each their own.

There's nothing wrong with doing what you want to do, or what you have to do. I wouldn't cook ribs in a crock pot because that's not the best way to enjoy them and their flavor. But if that's how you like them, wtf should anyone else care? Just don't side them with Mac n chez, that's nasty.

HBPW uses a 1/2 can of coke to baste her ham shanks, but that's it.

VN Store

Back