Culinary, Arts, Thread.

As an aside, mal - My last memory of Steak & Ale was going to one for dinner with two colleagues. We all ordered strip steaks, medium rare. Theirs were picture perfect examples, the steaks you would see in magazines and TV ads. The first one served to me was burned black on one side and barely marked on the other. I sent it back. The manager spoke to me, apologetically, promising me a properly cooked steak would be out, shortly. While my coworkers were enjoying their perfect steaks, I ate my salad and baked potato. The next steak to be brought to me had the faintest of single marks on each side and had clearly been put in a microwave. I called over the manager, showed him the steak presented to me and urged him to look at the remaining halves of my companions steaks, then asked rhetorically which he believed to be grilled medium rare strip steaks and which he would want served to him. In reply, the manager asked if the restaurant could prepare another entree for me. I recapped that the three of us had arrived together and ordered at the exact same steaks at the same time. I wanted what they had been served, and if his kitchen could produce but two of them for our table, I would forgo an entree and pay for my side dishes. He "comped" my meal. I tipped the waiter as if I'd been served the meal I'd ordered.
Love folks who know how to complain the right way. 1533698688659.gif

Recipe request/ challenge:

Red chili sauce (for enchiladas, etc) as served at Taqueria del Sol.

I see plenty of recipes online, and I’m getting ready to start experimenting, but I’m only now getting my arms around Scofield heat, and I’ve no idea how to evaluate recipes beforehand. Many chilies could be killed in this process, not to mention my taste buds.

As a side note, I have never seen a sauce (without a ton of chunky things in it) in a commercial restaurant like this one that didn’t have at least one shiny pool of golden oil.

So anyway, a red chili sauce, not too hot and not too cool, smooth and deep and fiery all at once, and no little puddles of separated oil. Go.

(To add: I have their book, as we are branching into Mexican, and I have been looking online for the recipe for 6+ months. Not in the book, and no luck so far online.View attachment 162210
No problem, just let me finish restoring Stevie Wonders eyesight first.

Haha, Seriously.

First off, you probably can't find that recipe because he don't want you to know its doctored up Big Mac special sauce sauce. Yea, I'm exaggerating, but in the neighborhood.

Second, how hot is not too hot? How smooth is smooth? Is it redish brown, orange red, maroon red, bright red? How deep is deep? Is it thick? How thick?

Okay, I'm pretty much finished being a smartass, for a minute.

Find a picture of a sauce that looks like it. Doesn't matter if its grape kool aid, as long as it looks like it..color, consistency etc.

Obviously you know how many different ways there are to go about this. Many don't even use peppers.

Reactions: VolNExile

I see plenty of recipes online, and I’m getting ready to start experimenting, but I’m only now getting my arms around Scofield heat, and I’ve no idea how to evaluate recipes beforehand. Many chilies could be killed in this process, not to mention my taste buds.

As a side note, I have never seen a sauce (without a ton of chunky things in it) in a commercial restaurant like this one that didn’t have at least one shiny pool of golden oil.

So anyway, a red chili sauce, not too hot and not too cool, smooth and deep and fiery all at once, and no little puddles of separated oil. Go.

(To add: I have their book, as we are branching into Mexican, and I have been looking online for the recipe for 6+ months. Not in the book, and no luck so far online.View attachment 162210

stacked-enchiladas-2.jpg

IMG_6878.jpg
picdtZkSe.jpg
IMG_9890.JPG

@Behr do you ever use this? We love it! it makes such a deeper flavored broth than what you buy in the can/box.
shopping

Reactions: Behr
Can you see a difference in color between the one you posted and the 3 I posted? If not, they are all 4 different, but all 4 "red sauce".
Yes sir. I see 4 different shades of red.

Yes sir. I see 4 different shades of red.
Yea, I was being a smartass but not in a mean way. She didn't ask ME for a good red sauce recipe, she asked me to try to duplicate one I know little to nothing about. Lulz.

I got a good one that will be in between the color of the one you posted and #3. I don't know if its anything like what Limatro is looking for, but if you get any of it in your hair, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get to it.

@VolNExile, I've patronized Taqueria del Sol over the years. Your exile must be in metro Atlanta...

Taqueria del Sol has a couple of signature sauces the recipes for which are online - Lemon cream sauce, and Morita pepper sauce.

Have you tried writing to them? Contact link.
Good idea, I’ll try!

My exile was originally (2010 - 2013) in the Bay Area, and now it’s Asheville NC. We now drive monthly to and from Memphis (8-ish hours of I-40 hell), and on the return we stop at the restaurant on Charlotte Ave in West Nashville. *sudden flash to an old Jimmy Buffet song*

Reactions: Tin Man
The color of the top one!!! And like I said, very glossy and smooth, but not oily looking. There must be a ton of roasted red peppers involved.

I know I’ll have to sacrifice my own taste buds in figuring out the heat. I was just hoping that someone might be familiar with this particular version and could add to my hand waving.

I’m not at all sure that I’ve ever made a sauce that didn’t involve flour or otherwise say “First make a roux.” lol

@Behr do you ever use this? We love it! it makes such a deeper flavored broth than what you buy in the can/box.
shopping
What is it? All I see on mobile is an empty square.

I’d be happy to start with store-bought and then start messing with it.

Oh ok. I thought it was a red chili sauce.
I'm not at home right now so I can't tell you exactly how much, but I can tell you that you will need 5 or 6 dried guajillo chilies, 3 or 4 dried Ancho chilies and 2 or 3 Arbol chilies. May want to check my spelling on the guajillo, but its close.

You will also need some Abuelita Mexican Chocolate. My phone knew how to spell that! You won't need much, but its not really expensive and you will find others uses for it. Its pretty good stuff. Got a good mole recipe? Its used in the best ones.

My Public has all the peppers and the chocolate in the Hispanic section. If yours doesn't, I would try a Hispanic grocery if you have one near by, obviously.

Once you get the ingredients its easy. You'll need some fresh garlic too.

I saw a recipe with those ingredients, including the chocolate! I’d rather try your version, of course.

There’s a tienda that’s a three-minute walk away, so I will start there. We have Ancho chilies growing in back, but nothing dried.

WOODROW!

I just seen the first post in this thread. Howdahell did I not see that before?

Me = molasses in January

VN Store

Back