Culinary, Arts, Thread.

Italian Ricotta Cheesecake
ricotta-cheesecake-with-raspberries.jpg

Did Dr approve of this type of diet ? That much protein can damage your kidneys over time
No...it can't..... That is more bad 1980's medicine. I am also doing bloodwork, and checking for such things. My Dr doesn'tt really approve per say, but he's not telling me not to either. He's SDA so he's just kinda like......have ya considered vegitarian? That's okay though. In fact I consider it a bit of my safety net. He is actively looking for signs it's doing something bad, and that as far as I am concerned is a good thing when doing anything extreme. Being SDA he'd prob like to show how it's not the best diet. So far I have enjoyed him unable to find any issues, and lots of improvement across the board. Still I like that he's looking for issues. It might surprise people here, but I tend to look for people professionally that will take a different view or even an opposing view. It's how I keep myself honest. I might not end up agreeing with them, but it helps me keep things in perspective. The key here though is while he's not promoting this diet, he doesn't get mad at me for trying it, nor does he ignore positive results, and can admit when he's wrong. Being SDA though he'll never be "for" carnivore. I am NOT SDA though......and my canines, genetics, build, own experience has shown this works very well for me atm. I plan on changing back to keto, and maybe eventually back to south beach once I achieve my goals....

It's a myth it's always been a myth, if you spent time working around preditor animals ( I did for years at nature center) common sense would prevail if you just thought about it.

Last edited:
So I need a recipe to make ground chicken/turkey into a decent hamburger. Can't add stuff like bread crumbs either because gluten. I made some a couple weeks ago and they were.....edible, just not very tasty. I seasoned the heck out of them too and cooked them over the charcoal.

Reactions: VolNExile
So I need a recipe to make ground chicken/turkey into a decent hamburger. Can't add stuff like bread crumbs either because gluten. I made some a couple weeks ago and they were.....edible, just not very tasty. I seasoned the heck out of them too and cooked them over the charcoal.
What can you use as a binder?

use Capon instead of chicken - Thank Rusty later

Maybe add a whole lot of diced onion, both for texture/ bulk and for flavor. Also bell peppers, mushrooms - again diced, turning them into a similar size and texture as ground beef

Can you eat other forms of animal protein besides chicken and turkey? Ground beef, ground pork. For flavor, you probably want something with higher fat levels than poultry, even if it’s only part of the whole.

What of any of these can you eat: eggs, milk, bread (any kind of non-gluten), raw oatmeal

Can you eat ketchup and/or tomato paste? Both of those would add good flavor + juiciness. Also diced sun-dried tomatoes

Mebbe cooked brown rice if you can eat it (think Minute rice servings) as a small portion of the patty - it can be juicy plus adds volume/ bulk

I used to make traditional ground beef patties with Italian salad dressing. This was back in the 70’s, so not exactly sophisticated, but the Wishbone or whatever it was added flavor + juiciness

— just spitballing here - I have no personal experience with Chron’s/ ulcerative colitis/ other hellish autoimmune digestive diseases

Maybe add a whole lot of diced onion, both for texture/ bulk and for flavor. Also bell peppers, mushrooms - again diced, turning them into a similar size and texture as ground beef

Can you eat other forms of animal protein besides chicken and turkey? Ground beef, ground pork. For flavor, you probably want something with higher fat levels than poultry, even if it’s only part of the whole.

What of any of these can you eat: eggs, milk, bread (any kind of non-gluten), raw oatmeal

Can you eat ketchup and/or tomato paste? Both of those would add good flavor + juiciness. Also diced sun-dried tomatoes

Mebbe cooked brown rice if you can eat it (think Minute rice servings) as a small portion of the patty - it can be juicy plus adds volume/ bulk

I used to make traditional ground beef patties with Italian salad dressing. This was back in the 70’s, so not exactly sophisticated, but the Wishbone or whatever it was added flavor + juiciness

— just spitballing here - I have no personal experience with Chron’s/ ulcerative colitis/ other hellish autoimmune digestive diseases
Ulcerative colitis. No red meat, no dairy, no gluten, no seeds, no legumes. At least not for a while.
The onions idea sounds good, kids might complain, but whatever. I had not thought about adding something like Worcestershire but maybe I will if it checks out. I don't know if the added liquid will make the patties too mushy as they are really mushy to start with. I will probably add some finely minced gluten free bread into the mix though. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Duh.

Reactions: VolNExile and McDad
Ulcerative colitis. No red meat, no dairy, no gluten, no seeds, no legumes. At least not for a while.
The onions idea sounds good, kids might complain, but whatever. I had not thought about adding something like Worcestershire but maybe I will if it checks out. I don't know if the added liquid will make the patties too mushy as they are really mushy to start with. I will probably add some finely minced gluten free bread into the mix though. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Duh.
Onion powder? Garlic powder? Other dried herbs & spices for flavor? Have you tried adding a beaten egg to the mixture? If eggs are OK on your diet, they might make the mixture more mushy raw, but will firm up and help to hold the patties together when cooking. Admittedly, I’ve used eggs for pan fried turkey burgers. Never attempted grilling them.

Onion powder? Garlic powder? Other dried herbs & spices for flavor? Have you tried adding a beaten egg to the mixture? If eggs are OK on your diet, they might make the mixture more mushy raw, but will firm up and help to hold the patties together when cooking. Admittedly, I’ve used eggs for pan fried turkey burgers. Never attempted grilling them.
Eggs are supposed to be OK, but it has not always been the case since March. I guess my best bet is just more seasoning and some toated gluten free bread crumbled into tiny bits to hold it together. And just deal.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back