Criticism of the officials (merged)

The refs were horrible whether they were biased or not i think they were but they prevented us from playin our game

yes, the refs sucked and it definitely affected the game way more than it should have, but I am not blaming the loss on the refs. We played pretty poorly and vanderbilt was on fire most of the game. Not to mention lofton went stone cold after he hit his 6th 3.

I will not make any excuse for the pathetic game we played tonight, but how many seconds were lost while the refs wouldn't give us a foul at the end while we were TRYING to foul Vanderbilt, but they were calling everything prior to that.

Yes that is what bothered me the most. over 30 seconds went off the clock with that. pathetic.

These refs were absolutely horrible for both sides. Totally inconsistent and partially blind. They took over the game.

glad to hear most of you all are not blaming the refs. Grabbing the jerseys and running into players are going to get a whistle every time. Whether you're ranked 286th or first. Poor execution on the Vols part, especially since Vandy kept fouling in the final minutes instead of wrapping it up.

It wasn't just the refs fault of course. Shots weren't hitting, it happens. But the shot selections and defense at times were atrocious. There was one time Lofton took a three shot in transition and not one orange jersey was in the area to rebound, great if it hits, but it clearly didn't. That's just one example of course. The timeout before the end of the first half killed us, not only was it a waste of a timeout, but it was poor execution the moment the ball was inbounded. That could have easily been the difference in the game with a switch in momentum.

The officiating did not cost us the game. We missed too many layups and free throws. However, if we are going to call the jersey grabbing on our guys please call it when they hold Lofton by the shirt almost every trip down the floor. The road team is not going to win at Vandy. Those of us old enough to remember recall the night Phil Cox charged over Tyrone Beaman in the most obvious charge in the history of the SEC. With one second to go it was called a block and Cox made both foul shots to win for Vandy by one so tonight is no surprise I thought we played hard, but we still have work to do.

The real travesty is that these three officials were striding to one up Teddy V all game. I think its safe to throw them into his category for this game...
They were bad for both sides.

It was pretty bad, I was sitting there wondering how we can be called for some fouls, and on the opposite end of the court Vandy would do the same exact thing and not get called. It happened enough that I started noticing it every time.

And for those of you who like to call me a 'second class' fan because I don't spend my life on the computer posting on this board, I would like to know how many games you all actually attend. I have been to EVERY home game this season, so do NOT lecture me on 'fan ethics'... who cares anyway? No other SEC team uses 'fan ethics', why can't we complain when its obvious we were wronged several times?

Because they sure did get the job done efficiently tonight.. atleast 5 calls went against us that made no sense that vandy got points out of...

you people are a bunch of ..

crying_baby.jpg

man up and quit crying about the refs...

It wasn't just the refs fault of course. Shots weren't hitting, it happens. But the shot selections and defense at times were atrocious. There was one time Lofton took a three shot in transition and not one orange jersey was in the area to rebound, great if it hits, but it clearly didn't. That's just one example of course. The timeout before the end of the first half killed us, not only was it a waste of a timeout, but it was poor execution the moment the ball was inbounded. That could have easily been the difference in the game with a switch in momentum.

what beat tennessee was vandy's big man being able to beat the "hot press" so often. It didn't look pretty, but after the first couple of possessions in the second half, vandy figured it out. Tennessee had too many spurts of the same sloppiness I called out in the Memphis game and this time Vandy capitalized. The refs had nothing to do with this game, other than calling a tight game. If you can't play your game when the refs are calling it tight, March is really going to suck for you. I don't really care for Tennessee basketball, but I'd hate to see UK sneak up and win the freaking SEC.

It was pretty bad, I was sitting there wondering how we can be called for some fouls, and on the opposite end of the court Vandy would do the same exact thing and not get called. It happened enough that I started noticing it every time.

And for those of you who like to call me a 'second class' fan because I don't spend my life on the computer posting on this board, I would like to know how many games you all actually attend. I have been to EVERY home game this season, so do NOT lecture me on 'fan ethics'... who cares anyway? No other SEC team uses 'fan ethics', why can't we complain when its obvious we were wronged several times?

Because it makes us sound like crybabies.:crazy:

Because they sure did get the job done efficiently tonight.. atleast 5 calls went against us that made no sense that vandy got points out of...

Now you are sounding like those few Memphis fans (and I mean very few).

Like Rasputin said, their 2nd best player was on the bench quite a bit due to fouls.

Who's crying? They sucked! Since this is America, those of us who agree have as much freedom to post as you all, oh mighty ones...

Seriously though, I am not the normal type to scream foul after games, but this was an important game coming off an historic win and ranking, it only makes these few fouls hurt even more..

what beat tennessee was vandy's big man being able to beat the "hot press" so often. It didn't look pretty, but after the first couple of possessions in the second half, vandy figured it out. Tennessee had too many spurts of the same sloppiness I called out in the Memphis game and this time Vandy capitalized. The refs had nothing to do with this game, other than calling a tight game. If you can't play your game when the refs are calling it tight, March is really going to suck for you. I don't really care for Tennessee basketball, but I'd hate to see UK sneak up and win the freaking SEC.
call it whatever, but a combined 69 FTs in a game is far too much ref intervention.

I understand the officiating didn't lose the game, but the style of officiating put us at a huge disadvantage. We played poorly and lost, but that doesn't excuse the black haired ref for being the worst official ever.

I wouldn't say vandy capitalized on it all....Tennessee made stupid mistakes, when they would get within 2-4, make a defensive stop, then throw the ball right back away with a bad shot, offensive call, or just straight turnover. Tennessee helped vandy in that regard, and really vandy should have won by much more with the numerous droughts in scoring Tenn went on.

Face it guys we got beat by OURSELVES and Shan Foster. They called a consistent game. They did call some cheap fouls on both ends, but remember it was a very physical game. Ogilvuy dint hardly see the floor. Gordon fouled out. JuJuan gets a T. Pearl and Stallings get T'd. Our big men stayed in foul trouble. So they called both ways.

Remember this side. Ramar ALWAYS has the green light. JP is not mentally tough, he always wants a foul. Everything Foster threw up went in. It was not a good night for the Vols. Like the KY game, Lofton kept us in it. We looked @ the AP Poll and we saw were #1 and we got the big head. Well I hoped they enjoyed the ranking, cuz we jus lost it.

You must beat a team by 20, to win by 2 on the road.

To those complaining about the officials...

We shot 29 FTs, they shot 31. Ogilvy played about 10 minutes tonight. Quite whining like memphis fans.

I'm not saying the officials were anything but poor, but it ultimately didn't create an unfair advantage for Vandy other than that they shoot FTs better.

VN Store

Back