Country music thread

Had the privilege of meeting Drew Womack in Austin earlier tonight. Great guy. He's a talented artist, kind of unfortunate he hasn't really made it big. However, he penned "She's Got It All" for Kenny and "I Hope You Dance", so he's a talented guy.

Sons of the Desert had a little bit of success. Whatever Comes First was a top 15ish hit. Are the Womack Bros no longer together?

so I'm still trying to give Eric Church a chance... The lyrics to "Carolina" are really good and I'm usually a sucker for those type of songs, but it made me realize something. Even though I typically like the "outlaw country" sound, I just don't like his specific sound. "Carolina" is easily my favorite lyrical work by him, I just can't get into it. The only song by his that I really like is the hit, "i love your love the most" or whatever the proper name is. I'm sorry, but I promise I've tried to like him.

I'm a huge Church fan, but I give you major kudos for listening to his music! Bigger man than me to try out something you don't exactly "like." And coming from a Church fan, I do really like "Carolina". I also like "Lightning", it's a well-written piece.

so I'm still trying to give Eric Church a chance... The lyrics to "Carolina" are really good and I'm usually a sucker for those type of songs, but it made me realize something. Even though I typically like the "outlaw country" sound, I just don't like his specific sound. "Carolina" is easily my favorite lyrical work by him, I just can't get into it. The only song by his that I really like is the hit, "i love your love the most" or whatever the proper name is. I'm sorry, but I promise I've tried to like him.

Say what?? Bill is starting to like eric church??

that's nowhere close to what I said

Most anything by Jamey Johnson.

Couldn't agree more. The guy's raw and real and It's easy to like that with all the cookie cutter stuff that's out there today. I went to that show he did at the Joe a month or so ago and he just sang....and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. If you can appreciate that you know where I'm coming from bud.

Skip Ewing has written, and recorded, some great songs but never got as much air play as he deserved, imo.

Out of everybody people just mentioned this is the only guy I've never heard of. I liked that song you posted and I'll do some digging into him and see if I find something I can do.

Bart Crow Band, Randy Rogers Band and if you have listened to Cross Canadian Ragweed, check them out.

I like the Randy Rogers Band. Out of all the bands with their style they get my vote. I've sang Hill Country for a few years now...great song. I'll look into the Bart Crow Band some more for sure.

I'd like to add Jason Boland and the Stragglers to that list.

Bottle by my Bed is another great one. The guitar at the end is what gets me. Out of all these people we're talking about, I just know a song or 2 from each artist but I'll try and find a few more songs from each of them.

I'll add to the list, too.
- Chris Knight. Another guy who's not the best singer in the world, but his lyrics are amazing and he's just singer...not a fireworks on stage kinda guy. Becky's Bible, Me and This Road, and It Ain't Easy Bein Me (Blake Shelton Covered it).
-Roger Creager. His live album is really good with a couple damn good songs on it. Shoulda Learned by Now, Late Night Case of the Blues, and L.A. Freeway(cover) are good ones.
-Guy Clark. Been around a while and he's got some good ones. I'll suggest Stuff That Works and Dublin Blues to anybody.

- Chris Knight. Another guy who's not the best singer in the world, but his lyrics are amazing and he's just singer...not a fireworks on stage kinda guy. Becky's Bible, Me and This Road, and It Ain't Easy Bein Me (Blake Shelton Covered it).

He probably has some newer albums out that I'm not familiar with with just about every song from The Trailer Tapes is great. In particular Hard Edges and Rita's Only Fault.

I'm going to the Eric Church concert next Friday, I'm excited! Brantley Gilbert is his guest act. Should be a good one. I don't think country is as dead as some people make it out to be. I like all eras of the genre. We all know that it will sound drastically different in 20 years, so I've just grown to appreciate all of it.
With that said, old rap is way better than today's "rap." Thanks, mainstream culture.

They don't make country music anymore.

they make very little of it, but they make it.

If Alan Jackson can get George Jones' and Merle Haggard's stamps of approval, I'm going to say he's making country music. No offense, (actually yeah, I guess it might be), but their opinion has a lot more value to me than yours.

If Alan Jackson can get George Jones' and Merle Haggard's stamps of approval, I'm going to say he's making country music. No offense, (actually yeah, I guess it might be), but their opinion has a lot more value to me than yours.

I like all kinds of country ranging from the classic and outlaw country through today's version, and I must say that Alan Jackson is a bona fide country legend. I've seen him twice in concert.

I don't think I like living in a world where Alan Jackson doesn't have a mustache.

As for the song, it's pretty good but there really isn't too much that's country about it. You could just as easily categorize that song as easy listening and nobody would think anything of it if they didn't know who was singing it.

I don't think I like living in a world where Alan Jackson doesn't have a mustache.

As for the song, it's pretty good but there really isn't too much that's country about it. You could just as easily categorize that song as easy listening and nobody would think anything of it if they didn't know who was singing it.

it's got the fiddle, steel guitar and is his standard sound. What more do you want from it?

it's also not the first time he's gone sans 'stache.

it's got the fiddle, steel guitar and is his standard sound. What more do you want from it?

it's also not the first time he's gone sans 'stache.

Upon second listen, I did pick up more of the steel but still just didn't strike me as all that much of a country song. Doesn't really matter, is a good song whatever you call it.

alan_jackson.jpg

And that's how Alan Jackson should look.

Alan Jackson is one of the few. But he also spans several decades.

He seems like a good guy as well I have surveyed property that ajoins some of his.

Gonna be some good country music at Lincoln's tomorrow night if anybody listens to that kind of stuff anymore. Sorry no Band Perry though. Can't get past the fact that the 2 guys in the band play tummy sticks.

Gonna be some good country music at Lincoln's tomorrow night if anybody listens to that kind of stuff anymore. Sorry no Band Perry though. Can't get past the fact that the 2 guys in the band play tummy sticks.

1. How do you know this?
2. If true, what does it matter?

VN Store

Back