Country music thread

I can deal with Brad Paisley okay, but most everything on the radio these days is trash...The non-stop Tim, Faith, Montgomery Gentry, Keith Urban stuff doesnt work for me...

Going to see George Strait and Ronnie Milsap tonight, really looking forward to it, but i really don't care for much music that has been put out in the past 10-12 years or so...So i generally listen to country from that time all the way back to the 30's, i like it all, and for newer music it's the Texas Country like Cooder Graw and Cory Morrow.

I saw George Strait and Millsap earlier when they were in Knoxville. Great show.

I like Brad Paisley but there are very few others today I like. I do however love Hank Sr and Jr, George Strait, Johnny Cash, David Allan Coe, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Charlie Daniels.

Rascal Flatts sucks a$$ in my opinion.

I like the new "Americana" genre -- more singer/songwriter country sound, less "Nashville." I do like Nickel Creek and Alison Krausse -- a little more bluegrass-oriented, I guess. Mainstream Country is just kind of at a standstill, IMO. Most of the stuff out now could have been released 10 years ago and would still fit right in. I just really like to hear people expanding the horizon, I guess.

Oh, and Faith over Carrie, ANYDAY. . . .ANYTIME.

I saw George Strait and Millsap earlier when they were in Knoxville. Great show.

Awesome concert tonight, Ronnie is great, and George is, well, George. The best live shows i've ever seen were Chris Ledoux (several times) and Willie Nelson (ditto)...but this one was up there

I don't know if I've seen Alan Jackson's name yet.

Hank Williams Sr.
Dwight Yokam
Wiskeytown
Sawyer Brown
Nashville Skyline

Dumas Walker always makes me smile. And I oddly like that song "Some Beach." But it's a damn Mustang in the video, and that bothers me.

That's close to over the line...but they were pretty darn good....man..I'm conflicted...should we vote on this?

I would say that "Mountain Music" gives them an automatic in regardless of other BS they may have put out.

A fun show i saw in the fall was Eric Church, his songs that got radio play here aren't the good ones, he seems to be a good 'ole boy and the show was a hell of a good time

My wife's uncle used to be roomates with Phil Vasser in Nashville once upon a time.....I like some of his stuff

Alabama

THE GROUP ONLY

The only country group in recent memory worth a mention, the last other than Alabama were 1 hit wonders Pirates of the Mississippi, with "Feed Jake", i love that song. And no, Rascal Flatts and Sugarland are not Country music, though they may be played on "country" radio

Malcolm's 5 greatest COUNTRY songs ever
1.)Golden Band (George Jones)
2.) Jambalaya {On The Bayou} Hank Williams
3.) Will The Circle Be Unbroken (The Carter Family)
4.) Stranger To the Rain (Keith Whitley)
5.) Amarillo By Morning (Chris Ledoux, made famous by King George Strait

Honorable mention: Tight Fittin Jeans(Conway Twitty), He Stopped Loving Her Today(George Jones) Good Hearted Woman(Waylon Jennings) Walkin The Floor Over You(Ernest Tubbs) Act Naturally(Buck Owens) im gonna stop listing cause it's not possible to have a top 5

I love it all, the old and the new. I guess favorite all time would have to be Alabama. I do love Hank Jr and Kenny Chesney, call me crazy!! LOL

huge country fan

grew up listening to "new" at the time Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, Clint Black and of course Garth Brooks. Give me Waylon, Willie, Cash, Hank Sr (and some Jr), Merle, Coe, George Jones, or CDB and i'm a happy camper. Also I can't help but be a huge George Strait fan. For the new stuff it's hit or miss. I prefer Toby Keith's earlier stuff, Kenny Chesney's first couple of albums were good but now he's just a Jimmy Buffett wannabe and he's awful. I like most of Brad Paisley's stuff, Tim McGraw is hit or miss, I like Green Grass Grows, Just to See You Smile and a few others. Big Miranda Lambert fan, she is country. There is way too much pop in today's country. I also love Alison Krauss.

The only country group in recent memory worth a mention, the last other than Alabama were 1 hit wonders Pirates of the Mississippi, with "Feed Jake", i love that song. And no, Rascal Flatts and Sugarland are not Country music, though they may be played on "country" radio

The bass player for Pirates of the Mississippi was my roomate for a month in 2001.

Sara Evans is tops in my book....:yes:

then some old country
George Jones
Don williams
Merle Haggard
Hank sr.
and then throw in some Alan Jackson & Shania twain

VN Store

Back