Could Majors have won a NC here?

Would Majors have eventually won a NC here?

• Yes

Votes: 85 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 115 57.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
That’s your assumption. I attended all of those games. 1990 was a fantastic season and that schedule was extremely difficult any of those games easily could’ve gone the other direction. Think about 1998 and how many of those games we narrowly won, not just Arkansas. It was not like those teams were crushing people. And PF could beat Bama but not Florida. It’s so funny to me how people ripped Johnny, (I did too at times) but not rip PF for similar flaws in coaching.
Season ticket holder from 1988 till 2002. I was also there what difference does that make ? Thread is about Jonnie not Phil and we all know Jonnie s pucker factor was plus 10 when playing Bama.

Thought his 1990 team was his most talented. Still couldn't get it done.
This. I think pound for pound we had the best team in the country that season, even after the injury to Chuck Webb, but we were always a play away. First it was the tie vs Colorado (who won the national title), we controlled Auburn on the road but let them come back then we missed a FG late to settle for a tie, Still, we were ranked #3 and sh!t the bed at home against a sub-par Bama team, then threw a costly INT in the end zone while driving for the winning TD against #1 ND. We shot ourselves in the foot all season.

Depends on how many team play-off. We were ranked #8 after the Vandy game.

89 was probably the best chance if Reggie hadn't pulled his trick before the Alabama game. Still scored 30 on the Tide without him.

And of course will never know what 90 would have produced with Webb playing a whole season.
In 1985 we tied UCLA first game of the year. We blew that one, led 26-10 with only 6 plus minutes left and majors went ultra conservative and they came back and tied us. Then first game after Tony Robinson goes down Dickey kind of struggled and we had to rely on a 60 yard Carlos Reviez field goal to tie Georgia Tech. The only other game we lost was to a Florida team that was on probation 17-10 at Florida field. Had we won both of them ties we would have been playing for it all that year.

No doubt Majors enjoyed his bourbon as do a lot of people. That being said, it's sort of a false narrative that he was drunk all the time. He would have never lived up into his mid 80s
Plenty of "alcoholics" live into their 80s....

In 1985 we tied UCLA first game of the year. We blew that one, led 26-10 with only 6 plus minutes left and majors went ultra conservative and they came back and tied us. Then first game after Tony Robinson goes down Dickey kind of struggled and we had to rely on a 60 yard Carlos Reviez field goal to tie Georgia Tech. The only other game we lost was to a Florida team that was on probation 17-10 at Florida field. Had we won both of them ties we would have been playing for it all that year.
Crazy thing is…. Even if all that had happened, we’d have still been tied into the Sugar Bowl playing UVA at the end of the year. Picking national champs was a complete beauty contest back then.

If you haven't realized, OP is Phillip Fulmer. He posts 1 to 3 threads a week, hilarious threads once you catch on, trying to pump his legacy. The OP lives in 1998, hasn't skipped a beat. Relishes every second of his own glory. It's why we don't worship Fulmer these days. Had he no ego, I'd be wrong. But he just had to be the "main character" for the vols, and destroy his beautiful legacy over the years. Had fulmer left when he did and retired, he'd be loved by all, even with the dark ending years.

OP loves to say schizo tier **** like "If only I had a sabbatical, I needed a little break, and would have brought dozens of more championships" but Fulmer is so droolingly senile he was a Pruitt guy with no discernment for modern football

Do you think had he not been let go in favor of Fulmer during the ‘92 season, he would have won a NC here and, if so, before the ‘98 season?

Regardless if he had stayed out the ‘92 season or won the power struggle, Fulmer would have been gone to another program. Would Fulmer have taken coaches with him or would they have stayed? I, for one, was glad that we, the legions of the miserables had Fulmer and thus our ‘98 NC. But, had Majors remained the HC, I don’t ever see him winning a NC. Now, to be fair, it took Fulmer many years to get us to the top. Seems Johnny’s teams were too up and down week to week. Beat a good Florida team then turn around and lose to a good Bama team then tie an average to good team like Auburn.

Also, seems to me the coaching style difference between the two also separates them. Fulmer was more of a players coach and more hands on; at a time we need both.
Yes

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
This. I think pound for pound we had the best team in the country that season, even after the injury to Chuck Webb, but we were always a play away. First it was the tie vs Colorado (who won the national title), we controlled Auburn on the road but let them come back then we missed a FG late to settle for a tie, Still, we were ranked #3 and sh!t the bed at home against a sub-par Bama team, then threw a costly INT in the end zone while driving for the winning TD against #1 ND. We shot ourselves in the foot all season.
The Colorado game was the one that they got the extra down on the tying scoring drive towards the end of the game.

I remember going into the ‘95 season every one seemed to be against Fulmer promoting Chavis to DC. Then as that and subsequent seasons played out, everyone forgot about that.

I wonder, had Fulmer left to be HC at another program, would Chavis and Cutcliff followed or, would they have stayed behind to be with Majors?

We may never know but it is a good hypothetical question. To answer that one, you have to wonder where Randy Sanders would have ended up, too.

I don’t know, but I think if Majors had inherited the program Fulmer had inherited as a young coach, he’d have won multiple NCs. So much of Majors years were spent building. Fulmer couldn’t have done what Majors did. Not from scratch.
The program that was handed to Fulmer should have won 4 NC.

Johnny was a great coach with some stacked rosters at Tennessee; goes to show how difficult it is to win a national championship. Everything has to go just right, plus some luck to boot.
Yep, I think if Webb hadn’t got hurt in opener in 1990 we may have won it that year. He was a game changer type of player and no doubt the best back in the country when he went down. The 85 and 89 teams no doubt were both capable of beating anyone. GBO

Ok. My statement wasn't meant to be all-inclusive of alcoholics. You don't know that he was alcoholic, do you? Know him personally?
Right. My grandfather was very very close friends with him, practically best of friends. Majors wasn't an alcoholic. He enjoyed alcohol and was a socialite. He didn't sit there withdrawing all clammy when he woke up! I'd say he was a functioning drinker, not an alcoholic. Alcoholics cannot go 4 hours without a drink, or you would know; I lived with one (not family, my friends dad.). It is on par with benzos and opiates withdrawal, he wouldnt be able to coach, 24 hours is deathly territory. My grandfather didn't drink much at all. He also had a heart attack before Majors, some people think it is correlated like that for Majors.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back