Could Barnett/Vereen/Kongbo/Lewis

We don't have a Von Miller, but our defense will wreak havoc next year. I'm sure Barnett has his eye on UT's all time sack record before he leaves next year and becomes a first round draft pick.

No but we have the best de in the nation so maybe he can make up for it.

Point being from all posts, our defense should be awesome.

I'm looking forward to some pass rushing packages with Barnett and Kongbo playing DT and then Vereen and Phillips coming from the outside.

Seems like every time someone mentions the DL, Phillips name is left out. Once he is healthy, he will be a significant contributor. Can't wait to see him play.

Phillips was bumped to a 5 star rating after the All Star Game for a reason! He's a baller and will wreak havoc for years to come, and in my opinion, be a top 3 round draft pick.

We don't have a Von Miller, but our defense will wreak havoc next year. I'm sure Barnett has his eye on UT's all time sack record before he leaves next year and becomes a first round draft pick.

We have a Von Miller.

The DLine depth we have going into the spring is ridiculous. Dare I say we'll enter spring practice with enough bodies to actually move the defense forward!?

Depth puts everyone on notice... All of our DEs (minus Barnett) should be working every day to earn their game reps bc they'll definitely be at a premium. It's an exciting thing to watch unfold... expecting a lot from Phillips, Taylor, and Butcher this spring & summer.

Phillips is as talented as any de out of hs I've seen. Highlights were unreal then he was straight up unblockable in the all America game. Also, butcher had an incredible highlight tape as well. To have enough depth that those guys didn't get to play right away is amazing

How do you know that? Von Miller was an unheralded 3 star coming out of hs. Look what he's become

with some help on the other side, Barnett could be in for a Von Miller type season. It will be impossible to double team him now

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how Shoop works with this talent. I always had doubts about the D-line rotation under Jancek. Phillips, when healthy, did not see enough action at end. He was mainly played at DT on 3rd and long situations.

Kongbo certainly won't be under pressure to hit the field as a starter. In fact, it is nice to have experienced pass rushers in Barnett and Vereen to teach the new guys. I think this will pay dividends when the next group of starters comes into being.

He never played football till his Senior year in HS
5 games as a Senior in HS
Redshirted at Wyoming
moved on to Arizona Western where they were 7 w- 4 Ls so if he played in all 11 JC games that's 16 games under his belt in his lifetime. Now he is going into the best college football conference in the world.
Not sure if he will just come right in and take over.

Agreed I would expect Kyle Phillips to be in the mix much earlier. Remember we get 3 years of eligibility with Kongbo since his current status is redshirt sophomore. With him having such little football experience, expect him to have a learning curve.

My opening rotation would be Barnett / Phillips starting with Vareen and Lewis backing up. Kongbo in the mix later on in the season, sprinkled in a la kahlil mckenzie last year.

Edit: also forgot about Andrew Butcher. I wonder how he fits into the mix.

Last edited:
Certainly hope so!

One thing is for sure though, our opponents will set new record for HOLDING our Dlinemen! :banghead2:

You're assuming that the holding actually gets called. Ask Barnett how that went last year.

I'm still unsure of how well Kongbo will do from the start, but he has great people in front of him to learn from. Given that, I'm sure he will catch-on quickly.

I have doubts about Kongbo starting in the opener. He may be one of the most talented JUCO DEs ever, here or anywhere else, but he is yet to play in front of 102,455. If he turns out to be as good as Butch feels he is, he may start as soon as the battle at Bristol.

With the depth and the increased number of options we have, I am very excited at the potential of our front four.

VN Store

Back