Cookware Thread

Cast Iron and stainless steel. I love both, they last forever and look like they're new and I've had them forever.

I'm going to second All-Clad Stainless. I purchased All-Clad Master Chef series over a period of about 5 years (15-20 years ago). I have NEVER regretted that decision ... They are WONDERFUL to cook with. The only regret I've had is that you can't put the aluminum-exterior pots in the dishwasher, which is went I recommend the stainless.

It is quite the investment, but you can buy seconds (cosmetic issues only ... And I have personally never been able to find the cosmetic problem) from Cookware-N-More online, for about 50-70% of retail. These are great pans. I have the following ...

(1) 10" nonstick frypan
(1) 10" nonstick saute pan
(1) 14" saute pan
(1) 1 qt saucier
(1) 2 qt sauce pan
(2) 4.5 qt sauce pans
(1) 6 qt stock pot

I've also had several high end knives, including a Wusthof Santoku, a MAC Chef's knife and others, but I always go back to the Brazilian-made Tramontina knives. A real bargain for a nicely balanced knife.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about these particular products.

Edit: most of our stock pot cooking is done in a Lodge Porcelain Cast Iron pot.

Damn! Y'all some rich f&ckers! :rock:

Ha! Not me. The steak knives were a gift on my 40th.

Are you still in Sarasota? Curious if you've been to Tsunami Sushi. Hadn't been in a while but stopped in last weekend. I have never tasted anything there I didn't like. If I lived downtown I'd be there all the time.

Ha! Not me. The steak knives were a gift on my 40th.

Are you still in Sarasota? Curious if you've been to Tsunami Sushi. Hadn't been in a while but stopped in last weekend. I have never tasted anything there I didn't like. If I lived downtown I'd be there all the time.

I've not been there in a while. I agree. It's a good spot.

I've been looking at some videos on identifying old cast iron skillets,it seems the one I got from my great Aunt was patented in 1933,so it was probably bought in the 30's or 40's,it was made by the John O. Johnson Co,ugh from Bammer land as is Birmingham :)

it is my corn bread skillet ,it seems it was part of a 2 piece set,it is the top to a Dutch Oven set ,I never did see the bottom part as a kid lol

Oh and the numbers on the bottom of them(like a 8 or a 3) were the size of the old wood stoves hole size,so the skillet would fit it,if I got that right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmDBvgTWFE

Reactions: 2 people
I've been looking at some videos on identifying old cast iron skillets,it seems the one I got from my great Aunt was patented in 1933,so it was probably bought in the 30's or 40's,it was made by the John O. Johnson Co,ugh from Bammer land as is Birmingham :)

it is my corn bread skillet ,it seems it was part of a 2 piece set,it is the top to a Dutch Oven set ,I never did see the bottom part as a kid lol

Oh and the numbers on the bottom of them(like a 8 or a 3) were the size of the old wood stoves hole size,so the skillet would fit it,if I got that right

Very cool.

Believe it or not, but Consumer Reports rates Ginsu knives as one of their top rated! I just remember the late night info commercials with that loudmouth cutting thru steel then cutting sheets of paper.

The quality of those vintage cast iron skillets is far superior to anything made today. Hold on to what you have and if you can find more, get it.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back