Contractor needed in Northwest Georgia

NWGVol

If anyone local to Chattanooga area has recommendations for a contractor to repair fire damage from a small house fire, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some roof work will need done along with couple windows replaced and siding replaced. Extent of damage not completely known until I can get a contractor out.

@orangeslice it seems like I recall you being a builder. If you’re interested or know of someone, please let me know.

Reactions: joevol33
I live in Ooltewah and had a fire on my outside living space on Thanksgiving. Was very fortunate that it was extinguished before entering our living area. After waiting on State Farm for 6 weeks I finally got an estimate for the repairs. I’m now on my 3rd contractor who said they would do the work and nothing has been started. Finally got fed up and started the repairs myself this week and I imagine it will hurt my insurance payout. Best of luck finding someone as I’ve had zero luck.

I also inherited a 50+ year old cabin in Townsend 2 years back that was in a terrible state of decay needing a complete gutting and foundation. I was planning on doing some of the work and subbing out all the big stuff. Hired a crew that worked one week then ghosted me. Hired a guy to lay some block who sent a single Mexican who didn’t speak a lick of English. After those fiascos I hired a 75 year family friend to help me and I’ve been working on it for 1.5 years and am down to landscaping and small stuff. It’s really challenging to find help these days! Certainly not how I pictured retirement either

Last edited:
Reactions: Wireless1
If anyone local to Chattanooga area has recommendations for a contractor to repair fire damage from a small house fire, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some roof work will need done along with couple windows replaced and siding replaced. Extent of damage not completely known until I can get a contractor out.

@orangeslice it seems like I recall you being a builder. If you’re interested or know of someone, please let me know.

Orangeslice@epbfi.com
I don’t check that often so let me know if you email me.

I live in Ooltewah and had a fire on my outside living space on Thanksgiving. Was very fortunate that it was extinguished before entering our living area. After waiting on State Farm for 6 weeks I finally got an estimate for the repairs. I’m now on my 3rd contractor who said they would do the work and nothing has been started. Finally got fed up and started the repairs myself this week and I imagine it will hurt my insurance payout. Best of luck finding someone as I’ve had zero luck.

I also inherited a 50+ year old cabin in Townsend 2 years back that was in a terrible state of decay needing a complete gutting and foundation. I was planning on doing some of the work and subbing out all the big stuff. Hired a crew that worked one week then ghosted me. Hired a guy to lay some block who sent a single Mexican who didn’t speak a lick of English. After those fiascos I hired a 75 year family friend to help me and I’ve been working on it for 1.5 years and am down to landscaping and small stuff. It’s really challenging to find help these days! Certainly not how I pictured retirement either
Demographics (Boomers retiring and leaving the workforce) plus not being replaced by the generations behind them because we disincentivized the trades in schools.

If you are retired right now or close to retirement and think it is bad in the construction industry, keep in mind that this is going on in other industries, as well. How many doctors are going to be around 5 years from now? What about farmers?

Honestly…..homeowners are as bad as contractors.
I’m in a position that I don’t have to work for people I don’t know anymore. I actually put one of my best clients in time out not long ago. I only communicated with his wife for about 2 weeks. Lol
The flip side of bad contractors is that I have people willing to wait till I get to it….. which is nice.

I honestly don’t get it. We got a couple of quotes to paint our house and one guy sent us the quote 2 weeks after we had already hired someone else and they had finished the job…then he got mad we “wasted his time.” Then we hired someone local to hang our TV on some brick and hide the wires, he said he could do it, showed up, was missing one of the screws for the mount, then decided he didn’t want to hide the wires so he gave us some of those cheap plastic covers and then tried to charge us for hiding the wires.

After that, we only deal with actual companies or recommendations from people we trust.

Demographics (Boomers retiring and leaving the workforce) plus not being replaced by the generations behind them because we disincentivized the trades in schools.

If you are retired right now or close to retirement and think it is bad in the construction industry, keep in mind that this is going on in other industries, as well. How many doctors are going to be around 5 years from now? What about farmers?
Not worried about doctors as young folks are encouraged to obtain more and more degrees, farmers are definitely a concern

Honestly…..homeowners are as bad as contractors.
I’m in a position that I don’t have to work for people I don’t know anymore. I actually put one of my best clients in time out not long ago. I only communicated with his wife for about 2 weeks. Lol
The flip side of bad contractors is that I have people willing to wait till I get to it….. which is nice.
Then your likely a dependable person who tries to do what he says and doesn’t oversell his quality which is likely why you’re in demand and get your work via word of mouth advertising. Unfortunately for the occasional shopper for construction services, folks like you aren’t easy to find these days.

Not worried about doctors as young folks are encouraged to obtain more and more degrees, farmers are definitely a concern
Rising tuition costs, the emergence of at home working and some of the nonsense that was revealed during COVID I predict will be factors (on top of demographics) in finding more candidates that move into the medical field.

VN Store

Back