Consistency helps DeBord move UT offense forward

kamoshika

You can see that this is year three in this program," he said of the offense. "They are a lot further along than I thought they would be, body-wise and execution wise."

DeBord has kept them moving forward by staying largely the same. The system is the same, down to much of the terminology. He likened it to entering a group that had studied French for three years, and not deciding to suddenly start speaking Spanish to them.

"We've added a few wrinkles, but the terminology and the formations are the same," DeBord said. "These players haven't taken a step back because of that."

All of that, from the skill sessions to the meeting room and now to the practice field has provided a foundation for Tennessee to run at the pace that Jones wants to see his offense operate.

"Without a doubt, the tempo of practice is the fastest I have ever been around," DeBord said. The NFL coaches I have been around were all into tempo and going fast, but nothing like what Butch has. I love it and it really makes the players focus."

Tempo From Meeting Room To The Field - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Reactions: 6 people
I know the jury is still out on this hire, but it seems that Butch knew what he was doing when he hired this guy. The mattress burners and bridge jumpers need to eat some crow with all of the silliness they posted.

Reactions: 11 people
By the end of spring the bridge jumpers will be predicting a 12 win season and when they win 9 or 10 countvocula and the rest will burn mattresses again.

Reactions: 7 people
By the end of spring the bridge jumpers will be predicting a 12 win season and when they win 9 or 10 countvocula and the rest will burn mattresses again.

countvocula, oregon vol, KBVol...maybe they will accidentally get a little gas on their jorts too?:birgits_giggle:

I think we all will be pleasantly surprised with his ability and play calling.

I know the jury is still out on this hire, but it seems that Butch knew what he was doing when he hired this guy. The mattress burners and bridge jumpers need to eat some crow with all of the silliness they posted.

If "the jury is still out", how can it seem that Butch made the right hire at this point? I've definitely warmed to the idea of coach DeBord being our new OC from the point where, as a fan, I looked at his profile....and I'm 100% behind him....but let's get a little better sample size and some actual games played and hopefully won before declaring all the "mattress burners" and "bridge jumpers" wrong and demanding their collective meaculpas.

If "the jury is still out", how can it seem that Butch made the right hire at this point? I've definitely warmed to the idea of coach DeBord being our new OC from the point where, as a fan, I looked at his profile....and I'm 100% behind him....but let's get a little better sample size and some actual games played and hopefully won before declaring all the "mattress burners" and "bridge jumpers" wrong and demanding their collective meaculpas.
No meaculpas are to be expected from VN's current ilk of negavols. At the first miscue (& they're inevitable), you, KB, and the other usual suspects will continue casting your characteristic aspersions...darkening yet another day. You're all like my sister-in-law in Poughkeepsie.

Reactions: 5 people
No meaculpas are to be expected from VN's current ilk of negavols. At the first miscue (& they're inevitable), you, KB, and the other usual suspects will continue casting your characteristic aspersions...darkening yet another day. You're all like my sister-in-law in Poughkeepsie.

Wtf are you talking about? Was it casting aspersions to question, as a fan, the candidacy of a guy who had been completely out of coaching for 2 years and hadn't served as offensive coordinator for 8 years? Especially when there appeared to be young dynamic OC candidates that Tennessee could've looked at?

Yeah, I'm such a NegaVol that you'll never see me second-guessing my earlier/initial thoughts/opinion or admitting I may have been wrong....unless you read about 2 posts earlier. And btw, could you provide a list of who "my ilk" is so I can better coordinate my aspersions with them so we can better "darken" your VN experience?

Reactions: 5 people

His comments after the first spring practice!? I assume we'll be running essentially the same offense we ran last year--but with better execution, better blocking by the line, and I'm sure the coaches will focus on improving the passing game so Dobbs doesn't have to run quite so much. But I'll be surprised if they change things too much.

Reactions: 1 person
We HAVE to warm to this guy. We have no choice! He's a UT coach now--the die's been cast. I will say this: WE OUGHT to be a pretty good offense this year, maybe better than pretty good. We've got serious talent at RB and WR, a smart, agile, fast-emerging QB, and a OL that should be significantly improved. It's all about the execution.

Reactions: 3 people

Agree. Jones has not proven he has a winning plan or formula in the SEC but he DOES have a consistent and reasonable plan. One element is that he seems to look for good chemistry over best resumes for his staff

Wtf are you talking about? Was it casting aspersions to question, as a fan, the candidacy of a guy who had been completely out of coaching for 2 years and hadn't served as offensive coordinator for 8 years? Especially when there appeared to be young dynamic OC candidates that Tennessee could've looked at?

Yeah, I'm such a NegaVol that you'll never see me second-guessing my earlier/initial thoughts/opinion or admitting I may have been wrong....unless you read about 2 posts earlier. And btw, could you provide a list of who "my ilk" is so I can better coordinate my aspersions with them so we can better "darken" your VN experience?

We need our own version of the journolist so we control the agenda better. FTR I'd be glad to be in your ilk even though I didn't share your reaction to DeBord

I'll be honest I thought he was the best available because of the consistency factor, but he's NOT giving me that warm smiley feeling. I keep hearing little things like he's impressed with the speed, or these guys are much farther along than he expected. This just tells me he thinks that the vols should be winning more games and that tells me he is not expecting the battle that he is about to face on the field this season. This is SEC. It's faster, it's bloodier...get used to it fast coach D. Michigan football won't do it.

Reactions: 2 people
...tell you something else. I love that he is developing the passing game. We definitely need more of a pro attack, but incase no one is paying attention, almost all of our receivers have been doing mental walk throughs for almost entire season. To my immediate knowledge (without looking up), I think we have two or three running backs, two tight ends, a slant runner and a deep threat and some of those guys are pretty inexperienced. I don't think our deep threat guy has even finished developing his body yet. I got a queasy feeling about all this.

HHIquow.gif

Also he already proved he can beat Florida so that's a plus

Georgia Southern's coach can make the same claim. Not sure that helps at this point. We need to sacrifice a chicken or something before the UF game. :crazy:

...tell you something else. I love that he is developing the passing game. We definitely need more of a pro attack, but incase no one is paying attention, almost all of our receivers have been doing mental walk throughs for almost entire season. To my immediate knowledge (without looking up), I think we have two or three running backs, two tight ends, a slant runner and a deep threat and some of those guys are pretty inexperienced. I don't think our deep threat guy has even finished developing his body yet. I got a queasy feeling about all this.

Wait, what are you talking about? Our receivers are going to be healthy for fall camp...at least for the most part. We have guys that are lightning fast and can get open deep. Pig, North, Pearson, Smith, Malone, and Williams are all down field threats. Lets face it, if this guy can just get the O-Line to block worth a sh!t then he will look like a genius. You need protection for your QB to complete deep passes.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait, what are you talking about? Our receivers are going to be healthy for fall camp...at least for the most part. We have guys that are lightning fast and can get open deep. Pig, North, Pearson, Smith, Malone, and Williams are all down field threats. Lets face it, if this guy can just get the O-Line to block worth a sh!t then he will look like a genius. You need protection for your QB to complete deep passes.

Most of those names haven't taken the field in quite some time...some coming up on a seasons worth of time. You can't just throw a receiver back in the mix with out field time. ...he'll hurt himself. Especially with new back up qb's...they will have no chemistry ect...We will know more come fall camp but they are missing spring practice. We are very limited until proven other wise. You can't count any of those guys in the mix right now. North did NOT pan out last year like expected and every one said he would be the big name before the season. There are other names but you get the picture.

VN Store

Back