Congrats Jordan Reynolds

Schaquila Nunn survived the first round of cuts, including a recent top 10 pick.

If she makes a final roster, that would mean that Holly had a WNBA worthy player on her bench that she underused...

I've stated before coaches know talent and in that limited amount of time her getting double double almost every time she played significant minutes stood out. Even if she doesn't make the team look for her to head overseas and really learn the game.

Remember she didn't start playing until she was 17 so she doesn't have as many miles or the nagging injuries that other players may have. She can play in the league because she's not afraid to bang, rebound and do the dirty work.

Reactions: 2 people
Did anyone here really think JR was WNBA material?

Could have been had she been coach to use her size and played more on the wing instead of on the ball. There are several players that are in the WNBA and are given chance after chance that are also an offensive liability. As stated she was never used correctly nor was it demanded of her to perform better. She (Jordan) knew that her spot was safe essentially (kind of like Mercedes does) especially after Te'a went down.

I am hoping Holly bring coaches in who can develop players to perform better as she hasn't been able to (and that is just my opinion).

Have you seen anything that would indicate Nunn's actually gone to training camp? She didn't play in their preseason game and is the only player on their roster who hasn't been assigned a jersey number. I haven't seen her in any media day photos either.

She isn't at training camp but it doesn't hurt her, if you look at their Roster they are loaded at the 5 spot and there are only 3 players on the team who naturally play the 4 spot (Hembry, Izzy and Nunn)

Vicky Baugh & Day are competing for a Spot at the 5 alongside Alexander

DeSousza and Dos Santos will more than likely be trying to get their respective countries to qualify for the Olympics so there is a shot until she is released. She also is on a rookie contract which helps as players like Baugh and DeSousza would have to get close to max deals because they are veterans.

WNBA teams try to cut operating cost and when it comes to a Rookie and a Vet who's on their last leg they tend to keep the rookie because it saves them $

Reactions: 1 person
Could have been had she been coach to use her size and played more on the wing instead of on the ball. There are several players that are in the WNBA and are given chance after chance that are also an offensive liability. As stated she was never used correctly nor was it demanded of her to perform better. She (Jordan) knew that her spot was safe essentially (kind of like Mercedes does) especially after Te'a went down.

I am hoping Holly bring coaches in who can develop players to perform better as she hasn't been able to (and that is just my opinion).

The difference is that the WNBA players that were in the league a long time were offense-challenged in the WNBA, not in college. Plus, there was some other part of the game that they excelled at. Armintie Herrington wasn't much of a scorer in the WNBA, but she was a big time scorer in college. Plus, she was an excellent defensive player. Jordan was a bad offense/defense player in college, and really had nothing to bring to the WNBA.

It's great that she was drafted so early, but I'm pretty sure most saw that as a wasted draft pick and gave her zero chance to make a final roster.

The difference is that the WNBA players that were in the league a long time were offense-challenged in the WNBA, not in college. Plus, there was some other part of the game that they excelled at. Armintie Herrington wasn't much of a scorer in the WNBA, but she was a big time scorer in college. Plus, she was an excellent defensive player. Jordan was a bad offense/defense player in college, and really had nothing to bring to the WNBA.

It's great that she was drafted so early, but I'm pretty sure most saw that as a wasted draft pick and gave her zero chance to make a final roster.

Knowing Michael Coopers desire for Big point guards I know he doesn't think it was a wasted pick and as I've stated I don't think Jordan was challenged, she knew her position was safe.

Knowing Michael Coopers desire for Big point guards I know he doesn't think it was a wasted pick and as I've stated I don't think Jordan was challenged, she knew her position was safe.

Last year, Jordan's starting spot was safe, but she also started the previous 2 years when there were more competent players like Ariel who should have been ahead of her. Holly was keen on her for some reason that never showed up in her 3 years as a starter.

I'm sure Cooper thought that she had some potential, but that pick was likely viewed as a head scratcher by any one outside of the Cooper residence. Jordan wasn't even on the radar on virtually every mock draft. She was probably surprised that she got picked at all. She was simply not WNBA material. Even if Cooper likes big PGs, he should have realized that was all she had, along with average speed for a P5 player and below average everything else.

She isn't at training camp but it doesn't hurt her, if you look at their Roster they are loaded at the 5 spot and there are only 3 players on the team who naturally play the 4 spot (Hembry, Izzy and Nunn)

Vicky Baugh & Day are competing for a Spot at the 5 alongside Alexander

DeSousza and Dos Santos will more than likely be trying to get their respective countries to qualify for the Olympics so there is a shot until she is released. She also is on a rookie contract which helps as players like Baugh and DeSousza would have to get close to max deals because they are veterans.

WNBA teams try to cut operating cost and when it comes to a Rookie and a Vet who's on their last leg they tend to keep the rookie because it saves them $

You are correct, she has not been at camp. After she attended the combine/play day in TX she has been back in Knoxville attending classes. may have something to do with foot.

All these ladies thinking they will become ESPN sports commentators/tv personalities better rethink. Get a degree that gets you a job.

KD is looking at law school in her future. :)

Her plan is to be the agent representing all these girls trying to be pro athletes/ESPN sports commentators/tv personalities!

You are correct, she has not been at camp. After she attended the combine/play day in TX she has been back in Knoxville attending classes. may have something to do with foot.

WNBA is stupid for starting training camp before school let's out and the international leagues wrap up.

good lord, you get drafted and two weeks and 15 posts later on a congratulatory thread and you're on the street.

That is basically how roster cuts work. It's a very competitive league. Anyone who is not a first round pick is really fighting against the odds.

That is basically how roster cuts work. It's a very competitive league. Anyone who is not a first round pick is really fighting against the odds.

I posted this in another thread but I will reiterate here. Based on the research getting invited to the draft and actually being chosen mean nothing. You still have to MAKE the team. You are generally safe as a 1st rounder unless you stink it up at training camp. 2nd rounders stick rate it about 50% and 3rd rounders is roughly 10%.

If you weren't a top player @ the college level and I mean tippy top, being able to score, rebound, & distribute the ball @ a moderately high level... you have little to no chance of staying on a WNBA roster. In a weird draft year where there isn't a lot of competition it could happen but with the way some of the top 50 players have been transferring during their college years some of these drafts are incredibly imbalanced.

Reactions: 3 people
What, that Schaqila makes a final roster? Not saying she will, but if she does (and she's halfway there), then yes...that would not be a good look for Holly.

You watched Qui play, did you honestly think she was under-utilized? She played her role well enough. Yes a WNBA team may have a need or be willing to invest in her size for the future, but that doesn't reflect poorly on Holly. She brought her to TN, for goodness sake.

Reactions: 6 people
You watched Qui play, did you honestly think she was under-utilized? She played her role well enough. Yes a WNBA team may have a need or be willing to invest in her size for the future, but that doesn't reflect poorly on Holly. She brought her to TN, for goodness sake.

It's AMB....Dawn Staley could wear purple socks and it'll reflect poorly on Holly with his logic.

Reactions: 4 people
I believe the first games are next Saturday, 05/13/2017. I'm sure ESPN/ESPN2 will provide coverage.

Of course I watched Qui play, and like many others on this board, I wondered why she didn't play more, especially against physical teams that were crashing the boards hard. Qui was a huge part of why Tennessee beat ND, but she was never given consistent minutes after that. Even in the NCAAT, she has a career game to help put Dayton away, but barely sees the court against a Louisville team that lacks experienced size in the post.

Have you seen how brutal the WNBA roster paring is? Every year, there are All-Conference, All-Americans and former 1st round WNBA picks that get sent home during training camp. If Qui outlasts players that were stars on their top 25 teams and makes a WNBA roster, then absolutely that is a sign that she was underused this past season because the short WNBA roster means that they only keep players that can produce...and there are plenty of highly decorated players competing for those spots at the end of the bench.

Of course I watched Qui play, and like many others on this board, I wondered why she didn't play more, especially against physical teams that were crashing the boards hard. Qui was a huge part of why Tennessee beat ND, but she was never given consistent minutes after that. Even in the NCAAT, she has a career game to help put Dayton away, but barely sees the court against a Louisville team that lacks experienced size in the post.

Have you seen how brutal the WNBA roster paring is? Every year, there are All-Conference, All-Americans and former 1st round WNBA picks that get sent home during training camp. If Qui outlasts players that were stars on their top 25 teams and makes a WNBA roster, then absolutely that is a sign that she was underused this past season because the short WNBA roster means that they only keep players that can produce...and there are plenty of highly decorated players competing for those spots at the end of the bench.

Qui hasn't even been in training camp from anything that I've seen.

Holly i guess is to blame that Qui was out of shape...game wise...and recovering from a broken leg. Of course! And Nared or Diamond, or Russell should have played less so she could it only makes sense right? Holly haters come up with the craziest things!

Reactions: 5 people
Holly i guess is to blame that Qui was out of shape...game wise...and recovering from a broken leg. Of course! And Nared or Diamond, or Russell should have played less so she could it only makes sense right? Holly haters come up with the craziest things!

Or, you know, she could have sat Alexis/MeMe if they were not hitting perimeter shots and played Diamond at SG and Jaime at wing (her natural position), and gone with the double post lineup when they were playing against good teams that lacked post depth or teams that were controlling the boards.

As of today, San Antonio has waived another 3 players. 2 of them were also post players, one of which was a WNBA veteran who has played a backup role in the league for a few years and the other was a 2nd year player who was an ACC All-Conference selection for multiple years. Yet Qui, who was sparingly used by a mediocre team that lacked physicality, rebounding and size, is still on the roster going into the final round of cuts.

For the record, Qui broke her foot, not her leg. She was healthy by the time that she committed to Tennessee. But as you are the resident Holly worshipper and she is perfect in her eyes (because most coaches would have lost 26 games over 2 years with her roster, right?), you act like it would have been an Act of God for Qui to be in game shape by the time SEC play started. Holly worshippers come up with the craziest things!

Qui hasn't even been with the team and hasn't signed, so she can't get cut.

Interesting. Do you know how that works? i.e. they have the rights to Qui but she doesn't take up a roster space, or do they have to sign her to a contract to lock her in should another team express interest?

Qui hasn't even been with the team and hasn't signed, so she can't get cut.
The options are: Signed, Waived, Traded I believe. I don't think the word cut is used in recruiting terminology. If she was an active player and was let go, most appropriately it would be called released.

Not positive about any of this. Just my educated opinion.

Interesting. Do you know how that works? i.e. they have the rights to Qui but she doesn't take up a roster space, or do they have to sign her to a contract to lock her in should another team express interest?

Yes they hold her rights and she doesn't take up a roster spot. All draft picks are instantly added to that teams roster once the draft is completed.

I am sure San Antonio knows why she isn't/wasn't there at training camp and possibly excused her for it.

San Antonio has 15 players still listed on the roster and can only keep 12.

Neither DeSousa or Dos Santos are at camp (both have overseas/olympic commitments) and probably will miss the first couple of games.

They will either sign her by their first game Saturday the 13th or go into the game without depth at the 4/5 spot.

We will see soon!

Yes they hold her rights and she doesn't take up a roster spot. All draft picks are instantly added to that teams roster once the draft is completed.

So if a team drafts a player but doesn't sign them to a contract, does that player have the right to sign a contract with a different team?

VN Store

Back