'Completely different' OL working toward different results

Yeah...in the 5th rd. Still, no way the Vols should EVER give up 5 sacks to a Southern Conference team.
I guess you slept through that game. That UTC DE was probably the best DE this OL faced all season. Minus Dooley's screwups he would've been wearing orange. Here ya' go again, KB. You've slipped back into that old groove of serving up nega Vol-ley-balls. Apparently your previous comment on the OT's is just par for the course with you. I don't get internet haters, but your ilk have...to your discredit...made your mark. Who cleans your messes up? The only positive result of this unwarranted negativity is these young student athletes will acquire even bigger chips on their shoulders...just to shut your crowd up. Nonetheless, you'll no doubt run back into denial when these fellas (OTs) DO shut you up. OK, now. Peck out your rant.

Reactions: 6 people
The offensive line TN put on the field last year was probably the best display of lack of talent and lack of coaching in the SEC.
...and you got KB started. Regardless of raw talent, there's no offensive staff anywhere who can coach up an entire starting O-Line to execute complicated zone read schemes. Study the game. SEC O-lines require experience just to stand on the field. These guys are "getting it."

Reactions: 2 people
I guess you slept through that game. That UTC DE was probably the best DE this OL faced all season. Minus Dooley's screwups he would've been wearing orange. Here ya' go again, KB. You've slipped back into that old groove of serving up nega Vol-ley-balls. Apparently your previous comment on the OT's is just par for the course with you. I don't get internet haters, but your ilk have...to your discredit...made your mark. Who cleans your messes up? The only positive result of this unwarranted negativity is these young student athletes will acquire even bigger chips on their shoulders...just to shut your crowd up. Nonetheless, you'll no doubt run back into denial when these fellas (OTs) DO shut you up. OK, now. Peck out your rant.

Lol. Still got an axe to grind or something from a different thread there buddy? I'm a NegaVol?? Riiight.

So UTC has one DE get taken in the 5th round and that validates them dominating our OL? Brilliant on your part. Sounds about right. Btw Einstein, Tull had only 1 of the 5 UTC sacks. Probably the best pass rusher we faced all year?? Ever heard of Dante Fowler? Eric Striker?

Davis Tull had to walkon at freaking UTC. Had zero offers coming out of HighSchool. As it turns out the kid got healthy, committed himself to becoming a great player and showed out at the combine. He wasn't ever going to Tennessee....or Ohio State or Alabama or Southern Cal either.

If you're good with a vastly superior Tennessee team giving up UTC's season high in sacks, think that's normal, and wanna "call me out" for stating that should never happen, go right ahead. However, I'm gonna. suggest you're in the VAST minority chief. Have a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think a weak DL has contributed to the learning curve of the OL, 2 years back we really didn't have a DL that could pressure our OL so this spring is going to be interesting. With a mass of players coming back from the DL and with the new recruits we are going to find out how far they have really came, or is it just a smoke screen.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah I mean I have to agree with 1stand here. 5 sacks to UTC is lack of talent but coaching comes into play too. There is no way UTC's front 7 was that much more talented than our O-line. Probably a lot of missed assignments.

I'll bite! UTC had a DE drafted and a DT that was the best available for last few picks of the 7th round. They were pretty good up front.

What DE's in the draft did UT play against that were better than Chattanooga's Davis Tull who was a 5th round pick?

- Fowler FL 1st round
- Ray MZ 1st round
- Dupree KY 1st round
- Golden MZ 2nd round
- Smith KY 4th round

This begs the question, why was Kentucky not better?

I'll bite! UTC had a DE drafted and a DT that was the best available for last few picks of the 7th round. They were pretty good up front.

UTC had a couple of good DLs in Tull and Freeman. However, they didn't exactly terrorize qbs all year long. For example.....

0 sacks vs Jacksonvill St
1 vs Central Michigan
1 vs The Citadel
1 vs Wofford
2 vs Furman
3 sacks vs Austin Peay
3 vs Mercer
3 vs W. Carolina
4 vs Samford
4 vs VMI
4 vs Tn Tech......
.......And a season high 5 vs Tennessee

What DE's in the draft did UT play against that were better than Chattanooga's Davis Tull who was a 5th round pick?

- Fowler FL 1st round
- Ray MZ 1st round
- Dupree KY 1st round
- Golden MZ 2nd round
- Smith KY 4th round

This begs the question, why was Kentucky not better?

Is also begs the question.. Was our OL scared ?

think that DT just signed as a FA w/ the Titans...not drafted per say, but will get a shot. UT's OL definitely didn't impress, but UTC had a pretty good DL.

UTC had a couple of good DLs in Tull and Freeman. However, they didn't exactly terrorize qbs all year long. For example.....

0 sacks vs Jacksonvill St
1 vs Central Michigan
1 vs The Citadel
1 vs Wofford
2 vs Furman
3 sacks vs Austin Peay
3 vs Mercer
3 vs W. Carolina
4 vs Samford
4 vs VMI
4 vs Tn Tech......
.......And a season high 5 vs Tennessee

how many of those teams run the option more than pass?

Lol. Still got an axe to grind or something from a different thread there buddy? I'm a NegaVol?? Riiight.

So UTC has one DE get taken in the 5th round and that validates them dominating our OL? Brilliant on your part. Sounds about right. Btw Einstein, Tull had only 1 of the 5 UTC sacks. Probably the best pass rusher we faced all year?? Ever heard of Dante Fowler? Eric Striker?

Davis Tull had to walkon at freaking UTC. Had zero offers coming out of HighSchool. As it turns out the kid got healthy, committed himself to becoming a great player and showed out at the combine. He wasn't ever going to Tennessee....or Ohio State or Alabama or Southern Cal either.

If you're good with a vastly superior Tennessee team giving up UTC's season high in sacks, think that's normal, and wanna "call me out" for stating that should never happen, go right ahead. However, I'm gonna. suggest you're in the VAST minority chief. Have a good one.

really no axe to grind and no dog in the hunt...its a little disingenuous to hammer Tull...broke his leg during his HS SR year....still no major offers; but he was a 3 year All American, which albeit at a different level, aint to bad. He's going to get a shot a playing on Sundays...guess someone in the NFL thinks he's pretty good.

Reactions: 2 people
I will never forget that either. They should be reminded of it every day in the off season too!
Since Georgia returns not one on their DL this year, I'm thinking they'll experience massive growing pains teams will exploit, just as our OL was exploited last year.

really no axe to grind and no dog in the hunt...its a little disingenuous to hammer Tull...broke his leg during his HS SR year....still no major offers; but he was a 3 year All American, which albeit at a different level, aint to bad. He's going to get a shot a playing on Sundays...guess someone in the NFL thinks he's pretty good.
He got drafted and we went 0fer in the draft. Think I'd be slightly humble about this year's draft and another school and it's player.

how many of those teams run the option more than pass?

Looks like 2 teams ran the ball substantially more times than they threw it...Wofford and The Citadel.

However, all teams that UTC played threw the ball approximately 35% of the time and ran it 65%. They registered 26 sacks vs the other 11 teams combined....26 sacks in 242 pass attempts....10.7% of pass plays

Vs Tennessee, they registered 5 sacks on 25 Tennessee pass plays....20% of the pass plays.

Thomas is the one that scares me the most, i know he was a freshmen but he got run over and thru nearly every play, and Shy Tuttle did a pancake on him in the spring game, and he is just a freshmen i know he is a 5 star, he has to improve my hope that is Drew Richmond comes in day 1 and take over at Tackle, he has the talent if he can get the system down then by mid season we just might have a decent OL.:good!:

Thomas really needs to RS if all possible this year

Looks like 2 teams ran the ball substantially more times than they threw it...Wofford and The Citadel.

However, all teams that UTC played threw the ball approximately 35% of the time and ran it 65%. They registered 26 sacks vs the other 11 teams combined....26 sacks in 242 pass attempts....10.7% of pass plays

Vs Tennessee, they registered 5 sacks on 25 Tennessee pass plays....20% of the pass plays.

good to know...it does make a difference if they played more option or running teams. The OL didn't shine last year...not that I could do better...but not at a major university to play OL.

good to know...it does make a difference if they played more option or running teams. The OL didn't shine last year...not that I could do better...but not at a major university to play OL.

True, however, as you can see, they didn't record very many sacks at all last year vs some very poor teams....had a sack approximately 1 out of every 10 pass attempts they defended. Versus Tennessee, it was 1 out of every 5 pass attempts defended. Tifwiw, IRS, MONY MONY, SCOTUS, ATM, FDR, NIMBY, PB&J

Last edited:
Agreed, Thomas was a nightmare last year. As long as he is not playing, we stand a fighting chance.

Thomas is the one that scares me the most, i know he was a freshmen but he got run over and thru nearly every play, and Shy Tuttle did a pancake on him in the spring game, and he is just a freshmen i know he is a 5 star, he has to improve my hope that is Drew Richmond comes in day 1 and take over at Tackle, he has the talent if he can get the system down then by mid season we just might have a decent OL.:good!:

VN Store

Back