Coleman Thomas named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Congrats to CT. This kid took a lot of heat last year when he was asked to play tackle.

BIRMINGHAM -- Tennessee's Coleman Thomas was named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week, as announced by the league office on Monday.

The sophomore center helped lead a Vol offensive line as Tennessee piled up 248 rushing yards against Missouri, which was allowing just 113 rushing yards per game. Tennessee did not allow a sack. The Vols had their seventh game this season with 200-plus rushing yards and have their most rushing yards in a season (2,351) since the 2004 season (2,418).

Thomas is the second UT offensive lineman to be receive weekly conference honors this season. Kyler Kerbyson was named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week on Sept. 7.

Attachments

• unnamed (14).jpg
    unnamed (14).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: 33 people
But but but but our oline is horrible!

I'll take 250 rush yards and no sacks against a front 7 like Mizzou's any day.

Reactions: 12 people
Glad to see the recognition. The passing numbers didn't reflect it, but the interior pass protection was much improved.

Reactions: 2 people
But but but but our oline is horrible!

I'll take 250 rush yards and no sacks against a front 7 like Mizzou's any day.

That number is even more impressive considering we weren't much of a threat to throw the ball downfield, imo.

Reactions: 11 people
What are all the negavols going to say with some positive recognition on the o-line. Remember, they are the reason for all of our offensive problems.

Reactions: 1 person
That number is even more impressive considering we weren't much of a threat to throw the ball downfield, imo.
Congrats CT!! Honor well deserved!! Freak, thanks for recognizing the youngster as he took a lot of unnecessary attacks last year as a frosh.

Reactions: 3 people
Center is obviously his natural position. He should never be removed from the center spot IMO

What are all the negavols going to say with some positive recognition on the o-line. Remember, they are the reason for all of our offensive problems.

Well I don't consider myself a nega vol, but Thomas has not really been the issue all season. It's Crowder, Wiesman, and Kerbyson that have been the main problems.

Well I don't consider myself a nega vol, but Thomas has not really been the issue all season. It's Crowder, Wiesman, and Kerbyson that have been the main problems.
I cannot cosign Kerbyson being an issue this year. He's had a bust or two but overall he has had a very solid season and been a solid performer for 119.

Reactions: 4 people
Thomas is a good athletic center, just not a tackle. He's been playing pretty well all year imo, we just need to get stronger on the interior.

Kerbyson has been our most consistent player on the o line all year.

Maybe we just watch different games? Kerbyson killed two drives in Saturday's game alone - one by missed block and one via penalty. I would argue that Thomas has been our best, followed by Robertson and even Hall once he was inserted into the lineup.

The one consistent thing about Kerbyson is he has been a fixture at LT, but I certainly wouldn't point to him as a standout performer. And it's not his fault, he's a C-USA talent at OG, not an SEC tackle.

I cannot cosign Kerbyson being an issue this year. He's had a bust or two but overall he has had a very solid season and been a solid performer for 119.

I will concede he's been the least-bad option, but I will have to disagree on the "solid performer" label.

I believe his heart and desire is there, he's just limited by talent.

I'm more worried about SteelerVol...anybody check on him? :unsure:

Maybe we just watch different games? Kerbyson killed two drives in Saturday's game alone - one by missed block and one via penalty. I would argue that Thomas has been our best, followed by Robertson and even Hall once he was inserted into the lineup.

The one consistent thing about Kerbyson is he has been a fixture at LT, but I certainly wouldn't point to him as a standout performer. And it's not his fault, he's a C-USA talent at OG, not an SEC tackle.

Fair points but you can hand pick any game where any of our guys on the o line have made huge mistakes. Agreed he is not a tackle but he would be a more than serviceable guard in this league. Robertson has been out too much this year. Gotta stay healthty to contribute.

Fair points but you can hand pick any game where any of our guys on the o line have made huge mistakes. Agreed he is not a tackle but he would be a more than serviceable guard in this league. Robertson has been out too much this year. Gotta stay healthty to contribute.

Agree on Robertson's health. I was judging solely on his play when in the lineup.

My apologies for derailing the thread. Kudos to Thomas on a great week and solid season. Future is bright for our Vols!

Thomas is a good athletic center, just not a tackle. He's been playing pretty well all year imo, we just need to get stronger on the interior.

If Coleman Thomas gets stronger, he'll be an nfl player. Maybe even a top 3-4 round pick. He has crazy athleticism for a center. Just needs to get stronger at the point of attack.

VN Store

Back