Coaching Search: INFORMATION ONLY!

Rob Lewis (TOS):

"I like Underwood and Prohm. After that I would perhaps list Pitino, I'm a little unsure about him but like the fact that he would have massive contacts and relationships that I think he could probably put to good use.

I think there are several solid candidates out there."

Reactions: 1 person
Rob Lewis (TOS) on Barnes:

"I would think that Tennessee was giving up and not interested or committed enough to make a hire that could be a long term solution and put the program on solid footing.

Tennessee beat Rick Barnes twice when he had Lamarcus Aldridge and Kevin Durant. I'm not very impressed with him. Just my opinion."

Reactions: 11 people
Don't know if this has been said,but,tifwiw

@TheVOLColonel: @TonyBasilio I believe from several people I have talked to, that Tennessee has indeed reached out and talked to Rick Barnes this evening!

Reactions: 3 people
@wesrucker247: IÂ’ve heard enough to believe that if #Vols give Rick Barnes a fair offer, heÂ’ll take it. I think he wants the TN job.

Reactions: 2 people
@GoodmanESPN: Tennessee had already reached out to the Barnes camp by the time he was officially out at Texas. Two sides been talking over the weekend

Rob Lewis (TOS):

"We'll pile on here and add that everything we're hearing makes it seems to us that Tennessee and Rick Barnes are approaching a deal.

We've heard from multiple sources that Tennessee officials have met at an off-campus location today with a potential candidate. As noted previously, we've got solid information that Barnes flew out of Texas last night. Additionally, in talking with multiple people we can't locate anyone who can confirm that Dave Hart has been in his office today.

We haven't been able to nail down beyond a shadow of doubt that Barnes is in town, but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence to strongly suggest that's the case. However, we're going to stop just short of saying that's a gospel fact as we've not been able to confirm that from primary sources.

Additionally, we've heard that some sort of negotiation is already underway to address the assistant coaches' salary pool. That would be in keeping with Barnes being 'the guy' as his loyalty to his staff at this point is well documented and it's a veteran group that would probably be looking for significantly more than what was being paid to Tyndall's staff last year. If Tennessee were in negotiations with a mid-major type coach, it's doubtful that assistant's pay would be something coming up at the moment.

Everything we're hearing seems to strongly suggests that Barnes is going to be the guy and that contract details are being discussed but we feel like things are still in the negotiating stages with nothing signed as of yet."

Per Brent Hubbs (TOS):

"No snags that I'm aware of. The plane that flew to Austin yesterday hasn't left yet, but it's only 8:40am there. I'm hearing that a press conference may be late this afternoon."

@Ben_Fred: While no formal announcement from Tennessee, chairs are being set up press-conference style at Pratt Pavilion.

VN Store

Back