Coaching Carousel Updates

For those wanting to look at a final score and draw conclusions about Steele remember these things:

1. Chavis gave up I believe it was 62 to a team
2. Steele gave up 63 with 2 of those TD drives totaling 50 yards combined
3. Steele had top 25 Ds the two years prior
4. Steele has an amazing resume of coaches he has worked for
5. Clemson didn't have an offensive drive that lasted more than 2 minutes and 57 seconds.
6. Steele is an amazing recruiter
7. Steele held top 10 VT at the time he played them to a combined 13 pts combined in two meetings.

One game does not make a coach.

I approve this message!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm pretty sure a lot of recruits know who Steele is. He is a beast on the recruiting trail. So once again you would be wrong. And also, he could point to having two top 25 defenses in his prior 2 years, a year under Saban, and the rest of his resume. Also doesn't hurt that of those 63 he gave up (1 being a defensive TD) I believe 4 of those drives were less than 40 yards (going off of memory). To blame that entirely on the defense is crazy considering Clemson's offense not keeping the D off the field. The D was bad, but Steele would be a great hire.

What about the 8 other games this season (not including the Orange Bowl 70 points) that the Clemson D gave up at least 27 points? And that was in the ACC

If Dooley announced homerun hires on the other openings a Steele hire might be tenable with the fanbase and recruits.

What about the 8 other games this season (not including the Orange Bowl 70 points) that the Clemson D gave up at least 27 points? And that was in the ACC

Why is it that people stop looking at who wins and who loses the game when judging a DC? I don't see anybody complaining about Bama's offense from last night but they only could manage 1TD. Isn't the bottom line winning and losing the football game? If so Clemson had one hell of a year.

Why is it that people stop looking at who wins and who loses the game when judging a DC? I don't see anybody complaining about Bama's offense from last night but they only could manage 1TD. Isn't the bottom line winning and losing the football game? If so Clemson had one hell of a year.

Because we are in the SEC and might not be able to score 30 points a game against SEC defenses

Offense and defense exist as separate units. using this logic, let's go out and hire the Houston DC - they were 13-1 so their defense MUST be good, right?

[Disclosure - they were 64th nationally.]

Offense and defense exist as separate units. using this logic, let's go out and hire the Houston DC - they were 13-1 so their defense MUST be good, right?

[Disclosure - they were 64th nationally.]

Its not the only thing to consider but it should be looked at. Houston at 64th is pretty impressive with their style of play which should be another consideration.

Its not the only thing to consider but it should be looked at. Houston at 64th is pretty impressive with their style of play which should be another consideration.

It's settled then - Jamie Bryant is our next DC. Not sure we can get him though since Kevin Sumlin will likely take him to Texas A&M. Oh, wait . . . . . he didn't?

It's settled then - Jamie Bryant is our next DC. Not sure we can get him though since Kevin Sumlin will likely take him to Texas A&M. Oh, wait . . . . . he didn't?

You really do have a hard time reading don't you. What does "its not the only factor" is hard for you to understand?

Last edited:
Something else for sure. Dooley does a good job of keeping people guessing, the media has to dig everywhere they can, dooley gives them nothing, and in the ad it sounds more like a rumor mill compared to the past.

Something else for sure. Dooley does a good job of keeping people guessing, the media has to dig everywhere they can, dooley gives them nothing, and in the ad it sounds more like a rumor mill compared to the past.

Sounds like where I work. I've been fired a few times!

Brian Stewart's name needs to be thrown out since we throwing out names. Ex Cowboy's DC and current Houston Univ DC.

If it's Steele and I'm thinking like a recruit, I think they'll be taking other visits. One, they don't know him, and two, the latest memory of him is getting 70 put on him in the Orange Bowl. That doesn't bode well for him as a DC here trying to hold a class together. Unfortunate, but I think it's accurate.

I agree. The idea of Steele as DC certainly does not excite me at all and his performance in the bowl game is what will be in recruits minds. I would much rather just promote Lance and be done with it. Better yet, promote Lance and get Sunseri as co-defensive coordinator.

mlsoft

Hymms just said this is what he is hearing.

Randy Shannon - out
Ron Zook - out
Kevin Steele - still in the running
Sal Sunseri - in the running
Lance Thompson - in the running
Spangler - in the running

....take this to the bank.....if the record breaking Kevin Steele is hired UT will offically be the laughing stock of college football....they will be rolling on the floor at ESPN.......!

On a related topic:

It is now Tuesday and it appears that we are not very close to hiring anyone, much less a "splash" hire. Are you all still comfortable that we will have a DC and the new position coaches in place before this weekend??

mlsoft

VN Store

Back