Coaches on Vols: "You will want to catch them in September"

Our line was not as good as advertised last year. Breaking in 5 new guys will be tough, but it is not like we are replacing an all pro line or anything. Did Tiny even get taken in the draft?

Great point and couldn't agree more with the disappointment concerning the five up front last season. They manhandled nobody yet were so dang highly touted. This year's front 5 don't have to do much to equal last years group, but that won't get us bowling either.

I thought that Dobbs tried to overanalyzed the plays and he just flat out ran out of time...getting sacked. His focus should be on releasing the ball in 3 seconds or less.

Worley needs to focus on accuracy and run it every now and then to defenses from going straight into coverage...which will help ball catchers get open more.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee

“They are still trying to figure themselves out. They’ve recruited well but they are replacing all five starters up front that will be a heckuva task there now. They lost a lot of starts there, including the Tiny Richardson kid who was powerful.”…

“You want to catch those guys early. You don’t want to play them late because they’ll be better but will be a little disjointed early. They’ll have a lot of young guys playing so you want to catch them in September. Get them before they kind of get their feet on the ground.”…

“I like linebacker A.J. Johnson. I was surprised he came back. I thought he might’ve declared. He was a good player. Very active.”…

“Their defensive line was average, linebackers are pretty good, secondary wise they were young and weren’t overly impressive as far as being an SEC-caliber defense but that youth will help them.”…

“The biggest question on offense is replacing those linemen.”…

“I thought quarterback Josh Dobbs was average. He’s a really smart kid and all that stuff, but from a talent and skill level, average. I’m talking about precision, getting the ball out on time, throwing with accuracy - you like to have a guy who can push the ball downfield. He was average in those areas, but a lot of that comes with young, so maybe he can develop that. Some guys need to see a guy wide open before they throw the ball and it’s too late. That’s the difference between good and great ones, getting the ball on time.”…

SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2014 | AthlonSports.com

I think he was right in the point he was making. When you have NFL caliber linemen, you tend to expect more than mediocrity. Kind of the same thing with the NBA caliber players we had last year, who finally came to life at the end of the season and made a run.

The play behind them had a bigger effect than the oline did. They were very good pass blockers and had to run block against defenses that could last the box. The fact that 60% could end up starting as rookies shows they were far from his claim

agree with everything except the last comment about Dobbs to a degree. Its seems like this coach is talking as if Dobbs has been the starter for a while. The kid got thrown in after the season started and was a true freshman playing in the SEC against a string of top SEC talent. I think all things considered, he did one hell of a job with the hand he was dealt and the talent he had around him.

Sounds like the old ball coach.

This is how the ol' ball coach likes to give his interviews
Steve-Spurrier-shirtless.jpg

I'm sorry, what team were you watching?

Our O-line was SUPPOSED to be good. They proved otherwise. What running backs stood out to you? I dont remember having multiple hundred yard rushing games. Maybe I missed something. And then there was all the QB injuries from the pocket always collapsing on them.

Hmmmm.... maybe I need new glasses.
Best running game in like 10 years. Always been good at pass blocking. Its easy to look horrible when the rest of the teams sucks. How could you guys possibly say they were garbage? Guess nfl coaches are stupid.

Interesting Dobbs was the focal point of the QB position and not Worley.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course, Dobbs showed his youth last year, he was true frosh not a rs frosh and one who wasn't even an EE. Yet even that coach admitted that a lot of what he was saying was average about him goes along with youth.

It's far more curious that Dobbs is the focal point of that Q&A. One would think Worley would've been the one that coach was concerned with.

OP I think this has been posted elsewhere, but it is interesting. It seems to be the OBC. Hence the focus on our backup QB.

Kind of agree on Dobbs. I hope we are in a position to be able to redshirt him this year.

Also my guess is that Richt is the coach speaking.

We don't run a read option offense, we run the zone read. 2 different things. Otherwise I'm with you 100% on your other comments

I am interested in knowing what the difference is?

I always thought both were interchangeable terms for the O-line zone blocking while the QB reads the backside defender...(a little simplified obviously)

I don't mean this post smart assed, I am legitimately interested in knowing the difference.

My guess is Mark Richt on the anonymous coach commentator. I think Dobbs is better than average. You don't have to have a rocket arm to be an effective QB in a read option offense. There are many QBs out there that are successful without having an amazing arm. Dobbs brings a running dimension that's hard to account for - college football has definitely been trending towards more mobile QBs. For Dobbs to come in as a freshman, before he was ready, with Worley going down the way he did... and the way Dobbs competed, AT ALABAMA... I think labeling him average at this juncture is premature.

He didn't say anything about Dobbs arm. You are right having a cannon isn't a necessity but like he said delivering the ball on time and accuracy is and neither Dobbs nor Worley proved they could do either. If you are gonna be late on throws you need a strong arm to even have a chance and neither of them showed much arm strength either. Not saying Dobbs wont or cant improve, but just from a simple accuracy and arm standpoint he didn't instill much confidence in either. But accuracy and quicker decisions can be coached and improved. Peterman by far has the better arm and can scramble some too..Really would love him to prove that he shouldn't be judged on one bad half of football. Really isn't fair for him to be judged off a tiny body of work. That was a good and healthy FL D at that time.

Our O-line was a hot pile of overrated garbage for 4 years, so I'm more than happy to get some new blood in there.

I don't think they were overrated garbage but that group was recruited for an entirely different type of offense. I think the future OLine guys will be more what the Coach's want to block for this offense. Some guys are better run blockers, some better pass blockers and from what I hear some are better fitted for various offenses. The guys last yr were obviously recruited for more of a traditional nfl type offense, which I can see them doing well in the NFL. They were great running Chaney's offense that last year, atleast as far as pass blocking. I really cant speak from experience but just from hearing various experts talk about different types and styles of OLineman.

I despise that we have collectively sucked so badly that even our top rated NFL prospects are largely discounted as mediocre or overrated. That's one of the bigger travesties of this last several years.

Matt "take a sack like a champ" Simms is on an NFL roster and has played...

Let that sink in. Also we averaged over 5ypc last year with some very erratic QB play.

I get why some think they are bad but we had some good players.

agree with everything except the last comment about Dobbs to a degree. Its seems like this coach is talking as if Dobbs has been the starter for a while. The kid got thrown in after the season started and was a true freshman playing in the SEC against a string of top SEC talent. I think all things considered, he did one hell of a job with the hand he was dealt and the talent he had around him.

The downside was instead of improving week to week he progressively got worse. Not just talking about throwing the ball but instead of the game slowing down for him with more reps it didn't seem to do that. He didn't make quick decisions and stared down his receivers a lot and never seemed to go to his second or safety option.

The downside was instead of improving week to week he progressively got worse. Not just talking about throwing the ball but instead of the game slowing down for him with more reps it didn't seem to do that. He didn't make quick decisions and stared down his receivers a lot and never seemed to go to his second or safety option.

JasonVol18 = Jason Allen #18 ??

Kind of agree on Dobbs. I hope we are in a position to be able to redshirt him this year.

Also my guess is that Richt is the coach speaking.

I agree. That doesn't sound like Spurrier type comments. Think Spurrier would have talked more about Worley and would have mentioned he didn't recruit him out of HS. Definitely sounds more Richt or possibly Pinkel. Would think it would have been a Coach that faced Dobbs but still sounds more Richt like.

VN Store

Back