Coach Mathews should be interesting this morning.

Very few SEC teams can do that any more. Because of the routinely stout size and quickness of SEC defenses.

So you don't see many using the I any more. Who last year? Bama and Arky? Anyone else? I don't recall.

Now, if you're Michigan in the B10, and six of your IN-CONFERENCE games are Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, and Mich St, before you even add in the OOC cupcake games ... then sure, in that case make the I formation your mainstay. Because your OLine is going to have 50 pounds per player on about three-fourths of the defenses you play all season. Works there.

Just not so well in the SEC, where defenses are routinely BIG. (yes, irony intended)

Am not lobbying for one offensive approach over another, but am just reporting that LSU still very much uses a true fullback.

I honestly don't remember what percentage of the time they were under center vs. dropped back in some form of 'gun.

And they have been one of the very best run offenses in the conference in recent years ... but relatively weak in passing.

All of this is up in the air with their new OC, Matt Canada.
Supposedly the O will now use more motion, shifts, jet sweeps ... we'll see.

Nice summary, OP.

The lack of quality depth with our front 7, especially LB, really worries me. What happens to this defense if DKJ goes down again? I don't think Butch has hit his ceiling here yet, and I am hopeful that this season will end with 8-10 wins. However, I have to really question the talent evaluation, recruitment, and development of lbs by Jones and his staff. There is no reason we should be in this position in fall camp going into year 5.

There is a difference between the terms "spread offense" and the zone read option offense. The zone read is run out of the spread... but the spread is not limited at all to teams with a running QB.

Too many equate "spread" with a running QB. That's not necessarily the case.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody is saying you have to build your entire offense around that style. But to neglect your short yardage game is kind of defeating the purpose of moving the chains or scoring touchdowns. GBO!!!!!

Oh, you're preaching to the choir, man. I don't know if you read earlier in the thread, I talked about how cool it would be if we'd had the I formation against App State. And in another post that we could go with it in the early September games this coming season, too.

So yeah, I'm all about mixing it up.

One nit pick, though: I don't think the "short yardage" game is necessarily the I formation / QB under center game. Whether you go into the I has a LOT to do with the nature of the defense you face, and comparative advantages in the trenches.

A short yardage situation against one opponent may go a lot better with the spread, while with another team, yeah hit the I.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
We all are...and DT, and DE, and......

This is a top 7 defense and 1st or 2nd best in the conference. I don't know how this is hard for people to see and understand. But like I always say, many don't know football and I know it well. I say that in a humble way

Didn't say anything about building your entire offense around that. But a championship team HAS TO be able to close out games on the ground. Whether you're a spread offense or a Power I proset offense you have to be able to convert short yardage 3rd and 4th downs, and Jones's teams haven't been able to do that....and it's not an accident or mystery why.

Come on now JP, you're one of the brightest guys on here, you know what I was saying.

Didn't we do really well on short yardage situations most of last season, though? Maybe my memory's bad, but I thought we were really good at closing the deal when we needed to (most of the time).

I'll absolutely give you 2015. Not nearly as good that year.

Sure, I know what you meant, KB (I think), and I wasn't disagreeing with you. I just see it more jumbled up. The spread and I don't have to be an either/or thing, they can be a "yes, that and now this!" thing. But I know you already knew that, too.

I think we're agreeing a lot more than disagreeing here, haha.

Am not lobbying for one offensive approach over another, but am just reporting that LSU still very much uses a true fullback.

I honestly don't remember what percentage of the time they were under center vs. dropped back in some form of 'gun.

And they have been one of the very best run offenses in the conference in recent years ... but relatively weak in passing.

All of this is up in the air with their new OC, Matt Canada.
Supposedly the O will now use more motion, shifts, jet sweeps ... we'll see.

Yeah, my bad that I forgot LSU. Them even more than Bama and Arky, shoulda mentioned them first. Mea culpa. :)

This is a top 7 defense and 1st or 2nd best in the conference. I don't know how this is hard for people to see and understand. But like I always say, many don't know football and I know it well. I say that in a humble way

You are a humble and contrite person, Nationdom. :)

I think folks are currently remembering how bad our D was last year (both to watch and statistically), and playing the "show me" card before they buy in this year.

I really hope you're right, though. I want to see Bob Shoop prove, with zero doubts left on the board, why he was such a hot commodity a year and a half ago. I want him and our lads to completely OWN the top of the defensive stat boards, this year.

Mainly because a lot of Ws will follow, as long as our offense is even 75% as productive as they were in 2016.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people

The only stat I could remotely find was our defense ranked 7th in the SEC in total number of tackles in 2016. Nationally our rush defense finished 2016 ranked 107th in NCAA FBS and 67th in total pass defense. Thats a heck of a leap since we haven't played a single game since the end of 2016. The health of our DT's & LB's are critical due to lack of quality depth. Plenty of good DE and secondary depth. This team and its DC has a lot to prove this year and I hope they hold their own, but 1st or 2nd in the SEC??

3 star millionaire :)

When go to 3 LB set, prob play Austin Smith or move Abernathy to nickel and Gaulden to 3rd LB. hoping Sapp gets healthy. LB biggest concern on team.

FTR, I think you misunderstood what he was saying here.

He was saying that against GT, he thinks we'll see the coaches play Abernathy or one of the safeties to the Nickel over Gaulden to get a bit more size on the field. So, in essence, we'd have a 4-3 look with the extra safety playing the spot of the Star LB / Nickel.

We're going to be in more pro sets this year, so his comments do make sense. A lot more under center, 2 TE sets.

Not trying to argue, but how do you know this? I have heard Scott says we are going to see some dufferent things but has any specific formations been discussed publicly?

Based on what other than your assumptions?

Best freshman group Butch has brought in?!?! Could have sworn everyone wrote them off as being the lowest rated

Still seems to have more talent regardless of the rating.
star gazers will not like that at all.

You can knock on Butch for some of his game day decisions but he and his staff can spot talent. Usually well before other Sec schools. I think him having to recruit at somewhere like Cincinnati helped him develop this. Finding hidden gems that other schools overlooked or missed.

I'd love to see DKJr slide outside where I think he has plenty of athletic ability to play well and see Bituli inside at MLB which is where he's better suited to play.

The more I read and think, the more I'm with you. Kirkland just fits at weakside and can play every down. Bituli is too talented to not be one of the 3 linebackers. Then at strong side you can play Austin Smith or whoever on first down.

Reactions: 1 person
TE Wolf not good at line blocking.
FB When we need a lead blocker fullback type, e.g.
Goal line - don't have one - not part of Jones offense.

This is, IMO, the most legitimate gripe about CBJ's offense.

Even Fulmer has been quoted as commenting on our obvious offensive weakness in short-yardage or goal line situations.

What would possibly be wrong with replacing Wolf with a reserve OT....or one could get creative and pull his Left Tackle over to play TE on the strong side in short yardage and run off tackle.

Basically ANYTHING but what we've continually seen. :salute:

Best freshman group Butch has brought in?!?! Could have sworn everyone wrote them off as being the lowest rated

I listened to the entire show, not only did he say this Freshman class would be Butch's best at UT to date, he stated that it would be the best at UT in 10 years. I was really surprised to hear him say that but he is really high on many of the guys in this class. He thinks that 14 or more could play this season.

Confusing talk about Jumper playing, Kirkland, and Bituli being good and we need depth ?!?!? That's 3, no? If Jumper is chopped liver we need to quit propping him up is all I'm saying.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back