Clint Stoerner Fumble

You can see the video of Clint Stoener's fumble by going to youtube and search 'Oh My Goodness'. You will see the remaining 1:47 of the game...and what a game it was.

I will NEVER forget that game. I was 13 years old....1st UT game where I wasn't sitting with my dad. I thought I'd never make it out of there alive.

wouldnt it be easier to just post it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_U6yNYEAQo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r_U6yNYEAQo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Two undefeated teams facing off, both, I believe were 8-0. What a break for the Vols! Probably the biggest break of the season. The Razorbacks lose this game 28-24 and go on the lose two more and end up -8-3. Vols win this making them 9-0 and then beat Vandy and Kentucky to go play against Mississippi St., surprise winner of the SEC West, in the SEC Championship game -winning this game to play FSU Seminoles in the National Championship game in the Fiesta Bowl winning 23-17 to win the NCAA National Championship going undefeated 13-0! What a season! Three big breaks during the season: (1) beating Syracuse with less than 4 seconds in the game with a FG; (2) beating our biggest arch-rivals, Florida by a FG in OT (that was huge at the time!), and (3) and beating Arkansas (OH MY GOODNESS, Stoener FUMBLES with less than 2 minutes left with the HOGS leading 24-21 and the Vols put it in the end zone for a TD!
How many people here had any idea that the Vols would be this good in 1998? I looked at the schedule and figured if the Vols split the first two games we had a shot at a top 5 in the country because the rest of the season looked winnable,not thinking how the Arkansas game would be this close. I thought that if the Vols won against Syracuse and Florida they had a shot at the top 3 in the country.
People always say it's the breaks a team gets in football that puts them in the National Championship game. Here are some teams that had those breaks: Nebraska did it against Missouri when they got an extra play and won and that was their leap towards going to be the top rated team in the country the year they won the National Championship in 1997 to play a team from Knoxville and beat the Vols who won the following year.
I'm a die hard fan all the way regardless of how the Vols play. That is a true fan of their sports team.
GO VOLS!

Last edited:
When Billy Ratliff was being honored at the game last year, they showed that clip about 10 times. The crowd was going crazy, and I think I cried.

Good times.

man watchin that game just put a smile on my face...i remember that game and i was only 8 years old and watchin it with my grandaddy...good times

Let's see....It was 1999. I was stationed at Little Rock AFB, AR. I was flying out of Little Rock National Airport. The stewardess motioned to the other that they were waiting on one person to get on board. I looked around the plane and quickly figured out that the only empty seat on the plane was next to me. Sure enough, coming on board is this huge specimen of a man. He plops down next to me and shoves his bag under the seat in front of him and I notice a NFL logo on the side. I think nothing of it. Oh, did I tell you I had a huge German Shepherd lying on the ground at my feet. He was my explosive detector dog and we were headed to Detroit to do a Secret Service mission for Clinton. The next thing I know, my dog is licking his shoe and that to my surprise was the first time the guy next to me noticed I had a dog. It sparked up a conversation as to why I had a dog on the plane. He thought it was so cool that I was a K9 Handler. I asked him what he did and he said he was the running back for the Cleveland Browns. I asked why the hell he was in Arkansas and he said he use to play there and he still had family here. He said his name was Madre Hill. At that point I said "Oh you were the running back when Stoener fumbled the ball w/ 2:00 left in the game". He didn't look pleased, but finally said that the entire team still calls him and gives him **** for it. It was funny as hell. I gave him a baseball card of my dog and he asked if I wanted his autograph. I stated that I didn't, but I had a die hard Razorback fan back at base that would kill for it. Very interesting plane ride.

Showed the vid to my wife, She said she was one on the "shame on you" fans. She was at the game with her ex and he wanted to leave early too, so she missed it.

We were at the 04' Fla game and stayed for what was bedlum after "the kick." Her ex was at that game as well. Again the idiot didnt learn from the Arky game. Yes he left early at that game too.

What a season that was -1998. I looked at the schedule in the summer and the first two games could make or break the Vols. If we had lost both it would be a ho-hum season maybe no worse than 3 losses. However, if it was a split, then could be a top 5 and if we won both-watch out we could go all the way. Going against Arkansas and both 7-0 was surprising to me both teams unbeaten. More so the Hogs. Anyway with less than 3 minutes left and the Hogs driving I figured it was over. Next thing, Stoener "FUMBLES!" What a relief! I said "that's our break and we need to put it in the endzone!" Well, we did and Arkansas was history. They lost 2 more and we end up play Miss. State for the SEC Championship. However, they had a 4 loss season-I think counting the loss to the Vols. Not too sure of that record for the Bulldogs.

Cant get enough had to watch it again today. Travis Henry was on a mission from god. And man you want to talk about everybody blocking hard!! I love a good block and man they were pushing them all over the placE

Worst play ever. I distinctly remember watching that live and the feeling of shock and disbelief when it happened.

Unbelievable.

well-i did it. i tried to send a file to usaf vol and it didn't work. someone at work gave me some advice about how to upload to youtube and it was easier than i thought. i need to change the category-i'll do that later.

YouTube - OH MY GOODNESS!!!

shame on the people who were leaving neyland....

Sorry for the bump, but take a look at that O line. My GOD. Massive. Let's get it back.

It's TIME...(kidding)

When I looked at the schedule in 1998 the first two games (Syracuse & Florida) were the two games that were make or break for the Vols. I thought if the Vols split the first 2 games they were a top 5 team and if they won both it was a clear shot to the National Championship game. Little did I think that Arkansas would be undefeated coming to Knoxville to play the Vols. Both were 8-0. What woud have happened if the Vols lost to the Hogs? Howevedr the Hogs gave the Vols a gift! That game put the Vols on the way to the BIG GAME! Only Vandy and Kentucky stood in UT's way to the National Championship. Arkansas proceeded to lose their last two games after losing to the VOls and Mississippi Stet won the SEC West! Wow-never would have picked them. Vols then beat State 24-14 in the SEC Championship and beat FSU 23-16 to win IT ALL! AWESOME! I can rest in peace now.

Once a Vol fan ALWAYS a Vol fan!

That was the game that put us over the top after winning the first 2 games against Syracuse and the Gators!:eek:k::clapping::good!::salute::yahoo:

Last edited:
I am working on uploading a higher quality to youtube. I also have a copy of John Ward announcing...should I upload that?

I am working on uploading a higher quality to youtube. I also have a copy of John Ward announcing...should I upload that?
I honestly thought his call sucked, but I feel people will be mad at me for saying that. :eek:lol:

I like the TV guys call better, too. Since that one is on there I didn't know if they would rather have one with Ward or a higher quality of the other...I guess I can do both

Jeez, the original posts (haven't read the entire thread) made me realize just how old I am.

VN Store

Back