Cicadas

In east TN, the big brood, Brood X, will emerge next year.

I heard one on May 29. Early. My uncle (RIP) swore that we'd get our first frost 90 days, give or take two weeks, after the hearing the first one of the year.

if you are using a mower or power equipment they are a menace. Apparently the noise and vibration alert their mating response. I still remember the last outbreak. Those things were five bombing me on my riding tractor.
I do not believe that you were truly menaced. Alarmed, inconvenienced, pooped on maybe...

if you are using a mower or power equipment they are a menace. Apparently the noise and vibration alert their mating response. I still remember the last outbreak. Those things were five bombing me on my riding tractor.
Perhaps they find you sexy.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
[VIDEO=]

It's official. Rod Stewart IS a cicada. That explains his disco period (and, possibly, his stuffing of socks in his pants).

A bug that spends 17 years underground eating tree sap and then is seen for a few weeks is now a menace. 2020 is meme inside a meme.

I remember we had a pretty good swarm/hatch of them here in north west ga about 2011-2012ish. They were supposed to be the ones on 7 or 12 year cycle I think they were called.

A rare, historically massive cicada season is coming​

(Stacker) - 2024 will be a banner year for cicadas—and homeowners desperate to get rid of them. There are two types of cicadas in the world, one that emerges every 17 years and another every 13 years. In 2024, both are coming up from the ground for the first time in 221 years.

This means billions of cicadas will be emerging, largely in the Midwestern and Southern United States...

How to protect your trees
The billions of cicadas that emerge will quickly make their way to trees. To protect your trees:

Spray often with a strong hose.
Wrap smaller trees with netting that has openings of less than 0.25 inches.
Cicadas won’t eat the leaves of trees, but cicadas will damage them:

Female cicadas cut slits into the bark to lay their eggs.
The eggs hatch.
The nymphs drop to the ground.
The nymphs bury themselves until they find a tree root.
The cicada nymphs attach themselves to the root.
The nymphs suck out the sap and juices.

How to get rid of cicadas (or tolerate them)
How to get rid of cicadas? That’s not easy.

Don’t try to get rid of cicadas by using insecticides, the EPA says. You’re wasting your time and money. Here’s why:

So many cicadas emerge at once that as soon as one group dies another emerges.
Insecticides might blow back into your face – or someone else’s (like your neighbor’s).
Pets are always at risk when you use insecticides.
A National Institutes of Health study found that use of insecticides on cicadas had no benefit.

Reactions: jp1
do they eat carpenter bees? if so, bring em on
They don’t eat in their winged mating phase. They do all their eating suckling tree roots in their nymph phase underground.

For carpenter bees, apply almond oil to the underside of the wood that they’re seeking to bore into. Set carpenter bee traps in the vicinity of any prior holes. Almond oil repels them.

I applied almond oil to a hole from a prior year, and all of the hatch vacated immediately. The hatchlings were drawn to the traps. The entire generation died.

I apply almond oil each Spring. Few adult bees check out my deck boards, and the almond oil repels them. Problem solved.

VN Store

Back