CIA Admits Involvement in Iran Coup, Sixty Years On

But you and I both know that "ain't" (to use redneck ebonics) gonna happen as long as our county is dependent on oil. All the more reason to invest in alternative energy sources so we can leave the ME for good.

You can thank your liberal. tree hugging azzwipes for those policy's...

Irrelevant thread is irrelevant. What next, your mammy's potato salad recipe?

I wish I could visit your country. Here is a stunning photo from the mountains of Tabriz. Do you know this area?

999165_423877864388335_1866158947_n.jpg

Homesick? Just wait a little longer and it will be a huge sheet of glass.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish I could visit your country. Here is a stunning photo from the mountains of Tabriz. Do you know this area?

999165_423877864388335_1866158947_n.jpg

You can visit Iran..I suggest you tour the middle east in general. Its a great place full of rich history and culture. And the people are generally very tolerant and accepting of outsiders. There is good hiking in Iraq and Iran as well as great sport shooting in those areas as well.

Reactions: 2 people
But you and I both know that "ain't" (to use redneck ebonics) gonna happen as long as our county is dependent on oil. All the more reason to invest in alternative energy sources so we can leave the ME for good.

You do know we have enough oil right here in our own hemisphere to supply us for centuries?

You do know we have enough oil right here in our own hemisphere to supply us for centuries?

No he doesn't know that. All he knows is to bash & belittle & mock Republicans & call people Tea-Baggers & anyone else bad names that has a different opinion from him.

No he doesn't know that. All he knows is to bash & belittle & mock Republicans & call people Tea-Baggers & anyone else bad names that has a different opinion from him.

It just demonstrates the Liberal hypocrisy.

Get out of the middle east, it's our fault they hate us. Fine lets drill here and build refineries. Hell no says the liberal!

It just demonstrates the Liberal hypocrisy.

Get out of the middle east, it's our fault they hate us. Fine lets drill here and build refineries. Hell no says the liberal!

YES....YES....YES. Please approve the pipeline & drilling & building more refineries. We have so much here but our own policies are hurting us so we have to pay out the wahzoo. Our own liberal policies are hurting & choking America far more than any other foreign country ever could.

This is precisely why Iran has hated us all these years. The USA is not always the "good guy." This is one example.

BBC News - CIA admits involvement in Iran Coup, sixty years on

No, Iran hates us because their religious leaders tell them to hate us. We gave them 30 years of economic growth, freedom from communism, social progress and individual freedom. The Ayatollah took all of that away from them, put women back into burkas and closed up the society from all progress.

Yet the progressives want to point fingers back at their own country, call themselves evil and not do anything to help the individual Iranian.

No, Iran hates us because their religious leaders tell them to hate us. We gave them 30 years of economic growth, freedom from communism, social progress and individual freedom. The Ayatollah took all of that away from them, put women back into burkas and closed up the society from all progress.

Yet the progressives want to point fingers back at their own country, call themselves evil and not do anything to help the individual Iranian.

What do you suggest we do? It's hard to say we gave them freedom from communism since they were still oppressed. What individual freedom do you speak of? We undermined their democratic process. That doesn't sound like freedom to me.

A much better way to say what I was trying to say. One incident is not why a country hates another. Hate is fomented and nurtured.

Sure we learn a lesson that intervention always has costs but to place all the blame inward is ridiculous.

Does Vietnam hate us?

What do you suggest we do? It's hard to say we gave them freedom from communism since they were still oppressed. What individual freedom do you speak of? We undermined their democratic process. That doesn't sound like freedom to me.

We had a chance during the Green Revolution to at least voice support. Instead we voiced support for I'madinnerjacket and his handlers.

A much better way to say what I was trying to say. One incident is not why a country hates another. Hate is fomented and nurtured.

Sure we learn a lesson that intervention always has costs but to place all the blame inward is ridiculous.

Does Vietnam hate us?

Yeah. I agree. The problem is people like myself realize the only way to exact change is to make America recognize the errors of our ways. We can't change anything by telling Iran what they have done wrong. So our message comes across like we blame everything on the US. I can only have influence here (be it small) so that is why I tend to call us out more.

Yeah. I agree. The problem is people like myself realize the only way to exact change is to make America recognize the errors of our ways. We can't change anything by telling Iran what they have done wrong. So our message comes across like we blame everything on the US. I can only have influence here (be it small) so that is why I tend to call us out more.

Nothing wrong with calling us out and we definitely have a role. The point I was making is that the OP contention that "this is why they hate us" is so simplistic that it is almost useless.

We see in Egypt that we are sowing the seeds for future animus towards the US.

The CIA involvement is nothing new. I have read about it in the past. The Brits actually ran the show, we just helped.

I just want historical accuracy. The Iranian Democracy was an anomaly imposed by the British to protect their oil interests. In fact, most Iranians at the time protested the British imposition of Parliamentary Democracy in place of their historical Shahs.

Prior to the coup of 1921-1925, the Qajar Family had ruled Iran since the late 1700s. In 1925, the Qajars were pushed out of power and replaced with the Pahlavī Family. During WWII the senior Pahlavī abdicated and was replaced by his son Mohammad Rezā Shāh Pahlavī . Reza Pahlvi was pro-Western and very progressive. He appointed appointed Mossadegh to be Prime Minister and then ensured there would be parliamentary elections as per the Iranian Constitution.

This was the start of the "Iranian Democracy," but we have to admit that it wasn't really in any way the form of government the Iranians wanted themselves. In fact, by 1953, they supported the Prime Minister dissolving Parliament and centralizing power in himself. They also supported nationalizing oil and other industries. In other words they voted themselves a dictator.

The argument could be made that our efforts in '53 simply returned them to the way they were prior to 1925. The difference was Pahlavī was very progressive and modernized Iran. Yes there was oppression, just like there had always been in Iran. But the individual freedoms and economic opportunities flourished under his reign.

What should we have done? Tough call. Had we stayed out (and kept the Brits out) it is entirely possible that Iran would have aligned with the USSR, either willingly or by force and we would have lost access to the largest oil field in the world at the time. Given Mossadegh's National Front was allied with the religious leaders, it is possible that a Oligarchy similar to what they have now would have evolved in the mid-50s. This would also have limited our access to their oil, but it would have also suppressed the individual freedoms in ways that would have made the Shah look like a Kindergarten teacher.

So to say that they hate us because we put things back the way they were, but also gave them modernization and individual liberty is historically inaccurate. For Liberals or Progressives to look at Iran today and say it is better off than it was in say, 1975, is disingenuous.

In late December 1950 word reached Tehran that the American-owned Arabian American Oil Company had agreed to share profits with Saudis on a 50-50 basis. The UK Foreign Office rejected the idea of any similar agreement for AIOC.[13]

On March 7, 1951 Prime Minister Haj Haj Ali Razmara was assassinated by the Fadayan-e Islam. Fadayan-e Islam supported the demands of the National Front, which held a minority of seats in Parliament, to nationalize the assets of the British Anglo-Iranian Oil Company. As Prime Minister, Razmara had convinced the majority that nationalization would be folly, but his assassination eliminated the sole voice powerful enough to oppose the demands of the National Front. Iranian anger towards lack of progress in the nationalization of AIOC was apparent when the assassination of Razmara,[14] yielded a distinct lack of mourning from the Iranian public. A raucous walkout of protest by newspaper reporters ensued when a visiting American diplomat urged 'reason as well as enthusiasm' to deal with the imminent British embargo of Iran.[15]

By 1951 Iranian support for nationalisation of the AIOC was intense. Grievances included the small fraction of revenues Iran received. In 1947, for example, AIOC reported after-tax profits of £40 million ($112 million), but the contractual agreement entitled Iran to just £7 million or 17.5% of profits from Iranian oil.[11] Britain was receiving more from AIOC than Iran.[16] In addition, conditions for Iranian oil workers and their families were very bad.

Paying anything more than 17.5% of Iran's own oil was too much of a cut to pay for the British, so they had to put in a puppet to maintain the status quo.

They hate us for our freedoms.

VN Store

Back