Chubb not CFHOA eligible

He didn’t have a .5 season his sophomore year...got injured against us. The standard isn’t how he compares to OUR all-time leading rushers...cuz they’re also not in the HOF. My take is spectacular freshman season followed by meh to less than stellar follow-up seasons...and apparently the powers that be already subscribe to that take.

He played 5 full games his sophomore season, was injured in game 6 vs us.....considering a full season is 12 games, 6 is damn near .5, no? 6 divided by 12 =.5.

Actually never mind, he actually played 2.44 games (21 of a possible 48 quarters) that year....furthers the point.

I was just lending perspective to how effective his last 2.44 seasons were, since we agree they weren’t quite as “special” or spectacular as his freshman year, when he was fully healthy. That’s why I even brought up Tennessee’s program rushing leaders....even without that special freshman season and even only playing 44% of his sophomore season, he still racked up more career yards than any Tennessee running back has....just some perspective.

And again, 3200+yards and 30 touchdowns in those years, while splitting time with a soon to be early round nfl draft pick in Sony Michel.....that ain’t bad by any stretch.

Some additional context here....those 2.44 seasons alone, minus his great freshman season, would’ve put Chubb #24 all-time in the SEC in rushing yards.

Finally, the CFHOA has their rules, their standards, no worries, no arguments here. But, imho, no one should downplay or throw shade at a running back who also ranks third in SEC history in yards-per-rush and fifth in rushing touchdowns in addition to being second only to Herschel Walker in conference history.

Hurd was 400 yards from being our all-time leading rusher. He top 3 on your list for Vols RB’s? If Chubb had been able to recapture that extra special something that made him great his freshman season, he’d be missing about 1100 yards of that “production”...because he would’ve declared. Was a very good college back. Injuries kept him from being HOF level.

Production trumps all your arguments. Hurd has never even aporoached Chubb level. This is almost as ridiculous as Terrell Ownes not being a first ballot HOFer.

He played 5 full games his sophomore season, was injured in game 6 vs us.....considering a full season is 12 games, 6 is damn near .5, no? 6 divided by 12 =.5.

Actually never mind, he actually played 2.44 games (21 of a possible 48 quarters) that year....furthers the point.

I was just lending perspective to how effective his last 2.44 seasons were, since we agree they weren’t quite as “special” or spectacular as his freshman year, when he was fully healthy. That’s why I even brought up Tennessee’s program rushing leaders....even without that special freshman season and even only playing 44% of his sophomore season, he still racked up more career yards than any Tennessee running back has....just some perspective.

And again, 3200+yards and 30 touchdowns in those years, while splitting time with a soon to be early round nfl draft pick in Sony Michel.....that ain’t bad by any stretch.

Some additional context here....those 2.44 seasons alone, minus his great freshman season, would’ve put Chubb #24 all-time in the SEC in rushing yards.

Finally, the CFHOA has their rules, their standards, no worries, no arguments here. But, imho, no one should downplay or throw shade at a running back who also ranks third in SEC history in yards-per-rush and fifth in rushing touchdowns in addition to being second only to Herschel Walker in conference history.

“Ain’t bad” ain’t HOF. Quote the “shade” in stating that. He made it TO the sixth game and was hurt on the second play. If you want to give him that game, the PRODUCTION in it wasn’t HOF worthy...just sayin.

Last edited:
Production trumps all your arguments. Hurd has never even aporoached Chubb level. This is almost as ridiculous as Terrell Ownes not being a first ballot HOFer.

Hurd ain’t MY argument. He’s not honored for “almosting” anything.

TO is another matter. Knew he was getting in. Liked it that his jive ass had to wait. It’s “ridiculous” that any sentiment exists that first ballot is a “right”. Marvin Harrison, Chris Carter and Michael Irvin had to wait. Would’ve built character if any of them had any.

“Ain’t bad” ain’t HOF. Quote the “shade” in stating that.

It was a sarcastic figure of speech.....the numbers speak for themselves.

And of course #2 in all-time rushing yards, #3 all-time in rushing yards per carry and #5 all-time in rushing touchdowns is HOF. He’s getting left out based one specific, subjective criteria that he didn’t meet....that’s the rule, dems the breaks. But his performance, as measured by his production in an injury-shortened career where he shared a backfield with GREAT future nfl running backs (Gurley, Michel, even Swift) is absolutely, 100% HOF worthy.

It was a sarcastic figure of speech.....the numbers speak for themselves.

And of course #2 in all-time rushing yards, #3 all-time in rushing yards per carry and #5 all-time in rushing touchdowns is HOF. He’s getting left out based one specific, subjective criteria that he didn’t meet....that’s the rule, dems the breaks. But his performance, as measured by his production in an injury-shortened career where he shared a backfield with GREAT future nfl running backs (Gurley, Michel, even Swift) is absolutely, 100% HOF worthy.

One great season and two average ones don’t equate to HOF. You start putting in qualifiers like “shared a backfield with” and you’ll need to open the floodgates. Since you brought up Gurley, Chubb’s best production was a result of a Heisman Trophy candidate getting injured himself...there wasn’t much sharing that season.

One great season and two average ones don’t equate to HOF. You start putting in qualifiers like “shared a backfield with” and you’ll need to open the floodgates. Since you brought up Gurley, Chubb’s best production was a result of a Heisman Trophy candidate getting injured himself...there wasn’t much sharing that season.

-was in the midst of a Second GREAT season his sophomore year, averaging 8.1 yards per carry for when he was hurt vs Tennessee at the midpoint of the season.

-I wasn’t adding “shared a backfield with” as an argument why he should be inducted....it was only to help define the fact that his production would’ve been even greater had he not had a ton of carries taken from him that he would’ve otherwise gotten. He only averaged 16 carries per game throughout his career at Georgia. He could’ve/would’ve likely cruised past 6,000 career rushing yards pretty easily with 5-6 more carries per game had Michel and others not gotten touches that otherwise would’ve been his. Pretty simple, elementary concept/thought.

-guess we have different definitions of a what a average season is for an SEC running back. Not too sure what’s “average” about nearly 2,500 yards and 23 rushing touchdowns, on only 16 carries per game the last 2 years. Guess Tennessee hasn’t had an “average” running back in a long, long time.

-we’re clearly at an impasse about Chubb, other than he doesn’t qualify for the CFHOF due to their rules. No worries. I obviously think he was a better football player than you and some others on here and that his production, playing in one of the most competitive conferences in the country, more than makes him worthy of HOF induction. Jmo.

Reactions: 1 person
-was in the midst of a Second GREAT season his sophomore year, averaging 8.1 yards per carry for when he was hurt vs Tennessee at the midpoint of the season.

-I wasn’t adding “shared a backfield with” as an argument why he should be inducted....it was only to help define the fact that his production would’ve been even greater had he not had a ton of carries taken from him that he would’ve otherwise gotten. He only averaged 16 carries per game throughout his career at Georgia. He could’ve/would’ve likely cruised past 6,000 career rushing yards pretty easily with 5-6 more carries per game had Michel and others not gotten touches that otherwise would’ve been his. Pretty simple, elementary concept/thought.

-guess we have different definitions of a what a average season is for an SEC running back. Not too sure what’s “average” about nearly 2,500 yards and 23 rushing touchdowns, on only 16 carries per game the last 2 years. Guess Tennessee hasn’t had an “average” running back in a long, long time.

-we’re clearly at an impasse about Chubb, other than he doesn’t qualify for the CFHOF due to their rules. No worries. I obviously think he was a better football player than you and some others on here and that his production, playing in one of the most competitive conferences in the country, more than makes him worthy of HOF induction. Jmo.

“In the midst” doesn’t count either. “Coulda, shoulda woulda” isn’t on any HOF plaques. Chubb was held back five games his junior season cuz he COULDN’T...you don’t get gold stars and smiley faces for that. If we go the “what could have been” route, Webb was full steam before Pacific. Chubb had 1100 and 1300 yards the past two seasons. Good seasons...not HOF worthy. And continually stressing that Tennessee hasn’t had an epic back since Jamal Lewis’s FRESHMAN season doesn’t boost your point.

Last edited:
I get the rule, and I get that limiting nominees to first-team AAs helps narrow the field.

Whether or not Chubb is worthy of consideration: my initial reaction is "no," but that could certainly change with the benefit of time.

However, the rule excludes guys like Joe Montana and Joe Namath. I think it's well-intentioned, but kinda problematic.

“In the midst” doesn’t count either. “Coulda, shoulda woulda” isn’t on any HOF plaques. Chubb was held back five games his junior season cuz he COULDN’T...you don’t get gold stars and smiley faces for that. If we go the “what could have been” route, Webb was full steam before Pacific. Chubb had 1100 and 1300 yards the past two seasons. Good seasons...not HOF worthy. And continually stressing that Tennessee hasn’t had an epic back since Jamal Lewis’s FRESHMAN season doesn’t boost your point.

“In the midst” = actual games played, 5 of em, for 745 yards, 8.1 yards per carry, 7 touchdowns.....all that counts.

He was “held back” for 5 games in his junior year? If so, still ran for 1,100+ yards, 8 touchdowns, on a rebuilt knee....not saying that in particular is HOF worthy, but is it “average”? Don’t believe so myself.

As far as “continually stressing” anything about Tennessee’s backs....who did that? Said it once, my last post. The other references to Tennessee’s modern running backs were simply to provide context. We’ve had some awfully good ones, plenty that were well above average, none of which who sniffed the career Chubb had.

We clearly have a gentlemen's disagreement here....you can have the last word....

Only one rule needed for any HOF. If you have to debate why someone should be in, then they aren't deserving.

If someone is deserving for a HOF induction, it should be patently obvious. A HOF is for the best of the best players.

“In the midst” = actual games played, 5 of em, for 745 yards, 8.1 yards per carry, 7 touchdowns.....all that counts.

He was “held back” for 5 games in his junior year? If so, still ran for 1,100+ yards, 8 touchdowns, on a rebuilt knee....not saying that in particular is HOF worthy, but is it “average”? Don’t believe so myself.

As far as “continually stressing” anything about Tennessee’s backs....who did that? Said it once, my last post. The other references to Tennessee’s modern running backs were simply to provide context. We’ve had some awfully good ones, plenty that were well above average, none of which who sniffed the career Chubb had.

We clearly have a gentlemen's disagreement here....you can have the last word....

Thanks. He’s not in the HOF. :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
However, the rule excludes guys like Joe Montana and Joe Namath. I think it's well-intentioned, but kinda problematic.

I think you wonder about College HOF with those guys, especially Namath, based on their NFL careers panned out.

I know it was a different game in the early 60s, but Namath had almost as many INTs as TDs over his entire college career. Namath is one of the most overrated sports figures of all time, probably right behind Bo Schembechler.

Doesn’t bother me or any other Georgia fans I know. The article makes a good point in that if I got to pick any of UGA’s recent backs to build a team around I’d have Chubb probably third in front of knowshon and have Gurley and Michel at one and two. Chubb was a great college back who could’ve started for most teams, but I also think he wasn’t the same after his injury. He was fun to watch and did the things the right way. Hope he has a nice NFL career.

Doesn’t bother me or any other Georgia fans I know. The article makes a good point in that if I got to pick any of UGA’s recent backs to build a team around I’d have Chubb probably third in front of knowshon and have Gurley and Michel at one and two. Chubb was a great college back who could’ve started for most teams, but I also think he wasn’t the same after his injury. He was fun to watch and did the things the right way. Hope he has a nice NFL career.

It's pure speculation of course but where would you put a 100% healthy NC?

I think you wonder about College HOF with those guys, especially Namath, based on their NFL careers panned out.

I know it was a different game in the early 60s, but Namath had almost as many INTs as TDs over his entire college career. Namath is one of the most overrated sports figures of all time, probably right behind Bo Schembechler.

Roger Staubach didn’t have a stellar ratio...neither did Archie Manning. That was the game. Namath was a gifted athlete and passer who was a victim of relatively medieval medicine. That he was able to be the central focus of his offense and win a Super Bowl on one leg is a marvel in itself. Until Bill Walsh made the high percentage passing game a mainstay, grip it and rip it was the norm. In today’s NFL, Namath would be a more passing sophisticated version of Brett Favre imo.

It's pure speculation of course but where would you put a 100% healthy NC?

Kind of a hard question since Gurley had some injury problems at UGA, but if both were 100% I’d still go Gurley first. Chubb was definitely closer to gurley level pre injury and would be ahead of Michel at that point. With gurley’s nfl accolades and michel’s playoff performance I could be bias though.
I can see both view points though. For him getting in, he was one of the most productive college backs ever. For him not getting in, he doesn’t meet the all American criteria and any player that stays 4 years can be productive a la David Greene. I just don’t think it’s that big of a deal at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Roger Staubach didn’t have a stellar ratio...neither did Archie Manning. That was the game. Namath was a gifted athlete and passer who was a victim of relatively medieval medicine. That he was able to be the central focus of his offense and win a Super Bowl on one leg is a marvel in itself. Until Bill Walsh made the high percentage passing game a mainstay, grip it and rip it was the norm. In today’s NFL, Namath would be a more passing sophisticated version of Brett Favre imo.

Archie Manning also threw for a boatload of yards (for the time), way more than Namath or Staubach, and was a scrambler, which was especially rare for a QB in those days.

Staubach, honestly, is also quite overrated. He played for a great Cowboys team just as the NFL was starting go grow and air the games on national television. If Namath didn't have his famous Super Bowl "guarantee," he's be probably less than half the figure he is. Most of the guy's fame and image is derived from that one thing, not how he played over the balance of his career.

Archie Manning also threw for a boatload of yards (for the time), way more than Namath or Staubach, and was a scrambler, which was especially rare for a QB in those days.

Staubach, honestly, is also quite overrated. He played for a great Cowboys team just as the NFL was starting go grow and air the games on national television. If Namath didn't have his famous Super Bowl "guarantee," he's be probably less than half the figure he is. Most of the guy's fame and image is derived from that one thing, not how he played over the balance of his career.

I simply can't agree with this take on Staubach. He won the Heisman in college and from '73 to '79 was only out of the top 5 in yardage once, his retirement season where he was 7th. He did finish that season as the top rated passer with at least 2K yards. In fact in those 7 years he was the #1 rated passer 3 times, #2 once, and never lower than 6th.

Yes and Namath had a devastating knee injury that limited his time at Bama. That he was in an offense that stressed athleticism from the QB spot, it’s remarkable that he cobbled together enough after recovery to be so highly desired by the two competing professional leagues. All my previous points still hold. It was a different game. He’d have been an even more productive HOF in today’s NFL...he was that great.

Can’t take anybody seriously that asserts Staubach was overrated. Transcendant talent who had to fight his own HC to play his game...and still won.

I simply can't agree with this take on Staubach. He won the Heisman in college and from '73 to '79 was only out of the top 5 in yardage once, his retirement season where he was 7th. He did finish that season as the top rated passer with at least 2K yards. In fact in those 7 years he was the #1 rated passer 3 times, #2 once, and never lower than 6th.

Didn’t see yours before I posted. Pretty much this. :thumbsup: Staubach played QB against Troy Aikman in a charity event a few years ago and completely dominated. Think Troy had Michael Irvin on his team. Guy won Super Bowls under the most control crazy HC in history. Landry was great but Staubach adds at least two SB wins if he doesn’t have that anchor.

VN Store

Back