Chris Weinke officilaly announced as running backs coach.

Quick somebody yell 98! to him. I know he was injured but we still won.

He could yell '99 right back to you. I'll save you the trouble of looking up the quarterback whose team won the national championship that year. He's the new Tennessee running backs coach.

Reactions: 2 people
I’m not questioning the hire and don’t claim to know anything about running a football program, but can someone please explain this to me. It just makes no sense at all to me. Weinke coaching running backs?

I think that’s a blue inked statement but seriously we vetted this and put it to bed a week ago... but that is funny...

Reactions: 1 person
Same thing stated last year with Kelly not completely proven. Chandler is a similar stud this year.

Yeah I think IF we can improve and stay healthy at OL and probably run a 2 TE set regularly that Chandler should be able to display his abilities.....

I’m not questioning the hire and don’t claim to know anything about running a football program, but can someone please explain this to me. It just makes no sense at all to me. Weinke coaching running backs?

As someone said earlier, it is the easiest position to coach. They just need to know what gap to hit when they are running. They either have it or they don't. He will be great teaching them to be able to read defenses for pass blocking, route running etc with his qb experience. This is huge when it comes to being a NFL running back. A lot of guys can get yards but are a liability protecting and never make it.

I think we should hire Peyton Manning. We need a solid DL coach.

Reactions: 4 people
He will coach QBs and Helton will oversee the entire offense. Hardesty will coach running backs IMO.

He was brought in for his offensive prowess and recruiting ability. It would be criminal to not recognize his ability with QBs. Also, he was a head coach. So I'm sure he knows the running back position well.

Those who question this hire know nothing

giphy.gif

Jk, I like the hire. Coach G was solid as well.

Reverse psychology imo. Since last year it was a RB coach coaching QBs.

Greg Knox, former college QB, coaches special teams and running backs at Florida.

Tommie Robinson, former college defensive back, coaches running backs at LSU.

Last edited:
I think that’s a blue inked statement but seriously we vetted this and put it to bed a week ago... but that is funny...

LOL I can see where it reads like that but I was being serious. Just ignorant though.

And maybe been hiding out in the b-ball forum too long.

I think I’m back up to speed though thanks to some other posters. Guy knows offense and how to read defenses, and teach, works well for any offensive position.

He will coach QBs and Helton will oversee the entire offense. Hardesty will coach running backs IMO.

He was brought in for his offensive prowess and recruiting ability. It would be criminal to not recognize his ability with QBs. Also, he was a head coach. So I'm sure he knows the running back position well.

This

Kippy Brown, arguably one of the greatest WR coaches of all time, was a QB in college. Doug Mathews, who was DC of our 11-1 1989 team, was an RB in college. I'm not sure what position David Cutcliffe played, but he has coached at TE, QB, OC, and HC effectively.

A good coach can handle most any position group.

He could yell '99 right back to you. I'll save you the trouble of looking up the quarterback whose team won the national championship that year. He's the new Tennessee running backs coach.

We'd have beaten them worse with Weinke. Outzen was running for his life a lot in that game.

He has not aged well. Looks like he could be called “Grandpa.”

I’m sure he will do a great job though.

Unless he needs a nap and some prune juice.

That picture is not flattering but when I've seen him on television he didn't look like Grandpa from The Addams Family.

Idc what anyone says it’s a Downgrade from Gillespie

FTR, I always love the "idc what anyone says" arguments. In other words, "I won't even consider another viewpoint, even it were correct, when establishing my opinion".

Always makes me confident to hear what you think. :p

His greatest accomplishment was not being on the field when we got to face the Rooster in the Natty. I for one am glad.

VN Store

Back