Chase Burns....

Rumored is the Key word. Burns is one hell of a talent. He left us. We moved on. Drop the dumb, we would be better with Burns. I highly doubt Burns was the reason we played tight. Matter of fact he was a key piece out of the pen. Maybe we just have a better lineup. In no way shape or form can you say we are better in the pitching deparrment.
That is why I said rumored. He is a he'll of a talent but he also comes off as one of those type players who think they are bigger than the TEAM. Also, you might have missed it, I said he was electric out of the pen. He has been decent at Wake but not spectacular. If his attitude was bad, which by all accounts it seemed that way, then we are a better staff without him. The ones playing now support each other and don't seem to be complaining about their role in the TEAM. AJ Causey is the prime example. He starts, he struggles, he comes in around the 3rd inning and he is lights out. Stamos seems to be perfectly fine with starting and going 3 innings and then to the showers. We have a TEAM now and they are better.

We’ve pretty much made it almost a complete regular season without him. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn’t really matter now.

But, for the following reason, it could be a bit relevant now. The committee likes this stuff. What are the chances we end up facing Burns in, for instance a regional or Super? If they can make it happen I bet they would.
100% they would set us up to be in a Super Regional. I don’t think they even make it out of a Regional though.

We’ve pretty much made it almost a complete regular season without him. Woulda, coulda, shoulda doesn’t really matter now.

But, for the following reason, it could be a bit relevant now. The committee likes this stuff. What are the chances we end up facing Burns in, for instance a regional or Super? If they can make it happen I bet they would.
It would be a standing room only packed house at LNS and the highest TV ratings of any Super. The environment would rival 21 and 22. Hornets Nest times 10. 🍊👍👍👊😃👍👍👊🍊🍊

Let's just say I want no part of Wake in a regional.
Only way I could see us being matched up with Wake in a Regional is if they drop to the 3 seed line, which is entirely possible considering they play Clemson and NC State to end their season. I don’t see them winning the Clemson series and NC State has played better than Wake this year. I see Wake finishing 14-16 in the ACC.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Make no mistake, Chase Burns is having a heck of a season at WF. He was just named as ACC Pitcher of the Week for the 4th time this season. His pitching stats support being a top 10 pick.
His overall numbers are almost identical to his freshman season here but he has a lot more strikeouts and given up a lot less hits. He has an absurd .89 WHIP to go with 140 K.

Anyone know of future plans to build a pitching lab at Tennessee? I’m not sure how much of Chase’s success this year is due to the wake forest “pitching lab”, as opposed to him being a year older/better, and playing outside of the SEC. But I’d love to see us have one built.

Last edited:
Anyone know of future plans to build a pitching lab at Tennessee? I’m not sure how much a Chase’s success is due to the wake forest “pitching lab” as opposed to him being a year older/better and playing outside of the SEC. But I’d love to see us have one built.
I’m not sure. Maybe that is part of the stadium renovation plan? 🤷‍♂️

As far as Chase is concerned, he was a stud as a freshman and him going to a completely different conference has helped him in that regard. It’s been well documented that all the teams in the SEC spent a significant amount of time scouting our pitchers in the offseason after that 2022 season. We returned all of our starting pitchers and everyone knew what to expect. I think that was the main reason for the drop off in all of our starter’s stats last year.

Anyone know of future plans to build a pitching lab at Tennessee? I’m not sure how much of Chase’s success this year is due to the wake forest “pitching lab”, as opposed to him being a year older/better, and playing outside of the SEC. But I’d love to see us have one built.
if you look at the performance of other Wake pitchers, the "lab" is overrated!! I'll take CFA over a computer any day. However, Tennessee does have technology to provide data to the pitchers and coaches, they just don't call it a "lab" and the human touch can never be replaced.

I think you can count on it.

if you look at the performance of other Wake pitchers, the "lab" is overrated!! I'll take CFA over a computer any day. However, Tennessee does have technology to provide data to the pitchers and coaches, they just don't call it a "lab" and the human touch can never be replaced.
I think you have to do both. I call it "pixels and paint". The experience and knowledge of a coach like Anderson is invaluable....But to ignore the latest science and technology would be foolish.

I agree but I think you need both. I know it’s a big reason why Chase chose to go to wake though. It’s be nice to have to sell to recruits/transfers (not that we are struggling in that department).

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
Ummm, anyone notice that the Vols took over FIRST PLACE in the Baseball polls?? And to think we did this without Burns? That is sacrilegious, right? Imagine where we'd be ranked if he was still on the team???

Ummm, anyone notice that the Vols took over FIRST PLACE in the Baseball polls?? And to think we did this without Burns? That is sacrilegious, right? Imagine where we'd be ranked if he was still on the team???

I wonder if Chase would have liked to pitch meaningful games for the #1 team in the country vs. pitching for a mid-level team trying to get a #2 seed in a regional?

Deep down

He's likely putting up better numbers in the ACC this season than he would have in the SEC. Outside Clemson- and a portal guy here-and-there, none of the ACC batters had seen him before-

“Lab“ is more marketing and hype than anything. we could call a broom closet our pitching lab if we wanted to. It’s just leveraging the latest technology and analytics (which we do without applying a fancy name to it). A consultant will tell you if you add “lab” to a client engagement, you can charge a premium for it. 🍊👍👊😀😃🍊👍👍👊

We are 78 spots ahead of them in team ERA. I'd just ride with our old codger who keeps getting it done no matter who is on his pitching staff

VN Store

Back