CDS Departing

Serrano will doubtlessly go back west and be successful again.

I swore I wouldn't post something like this but don't be surprised if Matt Bragga at Tennessee Tech gets some play

I don't see Bragga being in play but you never know. I know four guys who played [former and current] for him and he isn't liked by any of them. Good pitchers avoid TTU for a reason.

Reactions: 1 person
I graduated from UTK in the early 70's. In other words, I've been bleeding orange juice a helluva long time. With the exception of the Delmonico years, I can't remember a time when the Vol baseball team amounted to much more than a typical Vandy football team. When Serrano was hired, I figured it was only a matter of time until it got back to where Delmonico had it. What bothers me is if the Vols can't win with a coach like Serrano, who the hell can do the trick?

Reactions: 2 people
I graduated from UTK in the early 70's. In other words, I've been bleeding orange juice a helluva long time. With the exception of the Delmonico years, I can't remember a time when the Vol baseball team amounted to much more than a typical Vandy football team. When Serrano was hired, I figured it was only a matter of time until it got back to where Delmonico had it. What bothers me is if the Vols can't win with a coach like Serrano, who the hell can do the trick?

That's been a hot topic for the last couple of years. Guess we're gonna find out now.

I don't see Bragga being in play but you never know. I know four guys who played [former and current] for him and he isn't liked by any of them. Good pitchers avoid TTU for a reason.

Yes. Agree 100%

Good luck to Serrano in his future and I am looking forward to seeing how this coaching search transpires.

The head coach at ETSU would be a good choice. ETSU always gives UT a battle in baseball.

Ha! I laughed.

A lot of folks at ETSU are hoping that the powers that be in Johnson City pull the plug on Skole after this season, too.

Don't think he will be a candidate for the UT job.

Sad to see Serrano go. Don't know much about him but seems like a good man, and a good baseball man, who cared a lot about this program. I thought Hart did a good thing to give him another year. I assume our problems stem from mediocre recruiting. Whatever the reasons, he couldn't win and it was probably time. I mean, if Kentucky can have the no. 8 team in the country, there is no reason why we can't have a solid team. The coaching/winning standards for every UT program need to be raised. I only hope Warlick is next.

Gary Gilmore at Coastal Carolina. CBB NC coach and an easy hire with a big pay raise for him.

Gilmore has been offered big time jobs already and has opted to stay at Coastal. He has ties there and has had no desire to leave at this point.

Be really surprised to see him come to UT, or go anywhere else.

Kendall Rogers has posted his 7 person hot board but I can't see it.

Per Kendall Rogers, D1 Baseball
Chris Burke- Would be a risky hire because of lack of experience. But thinks he would do well on recruiting trail.

Eric Bakich-Michigan- Long shot hire. May be in play at Stanford. Would cost a lot of money. Was Vandy assistant so knows what it takes to win in Tennessee.

John Szefc-Maryland- Has ties to Currie from Kansas State. Hard nosed outstanding coach. Source told D1 Baseball he will be a high valued candidate.

Cliff Godwin- East Carolina- Turned down Alabama last year. Hard nosed coach who is relentless recruiter.

Rick Honeycutt- Long shot. 62 years old. Interviewed last coaching search.

Randy Mazey-West Virginia- Doing one of the better coaching jobs in the country this season. Would be impressive hire. Long time assistant at TCU Also a former Vol assistant. Was also HC at East Carolina.

Mark Calvi- South Alabama- Good pedigree. Guided SA to a couple of NCAA appearance and may be number 3 soon. Would be a solid hire for the Vols.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back