CBS Games Announced So Far

Wtmf? Georgia and Vandy in front of 21,000 fans on West End (16k of which will be Dawg fans) at 3:30 in the afternoon? Is there not a Kentucky vs Elon or Presbyterian game available? I certainly understand the allure of Georgia....but NO team, college, NFL or otherwise, is enough of a draw to warrant a Vandy game being nationally televised at their middle school "stadium".

CBS contractually doesn't get that first pick/game of the week priority until the third week of the season.

I don't know about your week 13 pick. If TN just really lives up to all this preseason dark horse hype and is high ranked...or TN and MO are both decently ranked and at that point battling it out for the East berth, sure.

I'm not sure, otherwise though, that game would appeal more to CBS than LSU-Ole Miss - presuming Ole Miss doesn't just completely fall off (or even Miss St- Arky if either Arky or Miss St continues to play build well off of last season).

That, plus - as far as the powers that be at CBS go - Missouri games are still pretty much seen as a ratings black hole.

It's really just a guess on my part, mostly because I think Ole Miss is going to step way back, and LSU still seems like an 8-4 team to me. I anticipate UT-Mizzou looking more attractive at that point. But again, just a guess.

Ok. At the very least, looks like Wikipedia verifies that:

Here's a question, though, since one of the games this season at least presents the opportunity to ask it:

While this most likely won't happen week 12 - even with CBS showing 2 games - because of the amount of big name/school options available (Bama-MSU, Ark-LSU, UGA-Aub, UF-USCe), if Missouri ends up with say a high ranking and is playing a BYU that's also ranked, does that game's first selection rights go to CBS's SEC contract or ESPN's BYU agreement? It's a neutral site game in Kansas City.

(Or would it just be dependent on whichever team is designated as the home team?)

It would depend on how the contract of the neutral site game is written. I imagine Mizzou holds more sway than BYU, so it probably falls under the SEC's deal. But I doubt that it matters since there are several attractive games that week, and Mizzou-BYU is not likely to beat any of them out.

BamaWriter, a little off topic, but what are your expectations of the 2015 Tide? I don't know what to make of your team, other than you guys always reload with talent, but there seems to be more question marks than usual this season, obviously starting with the QB situation.

The QB situation is basically right where it was at this time last year. In May of '14, I was convinced that if we went into the season with Sims at QB, we were toast. This is going to be unpopular on here, but Lane Kiffin can work miracles with quarterbacks. So, I'm not as concerned that we don't have an official starter yet.

There's no way that any team simply replaces a guy like Amari Cooper, so that is a loss. But we have a ton of depth at WR, so I'm confident we'll be okay there.

The defensive line should be nasty. Maybe the best we've had under Saban. The linebackers should be pretty good as well.

The secondary is a concern. I genuinely hope that some of the young corners win the starting gigs, because I can't envision keeping my sanity if I have to sit thru another year of watching repositioned WRs getting beat deep every time the other team has a 3rd-and-long.

We have the best punter in the country. We don't have the best kicker in the country.

That's the Reader's Digest version.

It would depend on how the contract of the neutral site game is written. I imagine Mizzou holds more sway than BYU, so it probably falls under the SEC's deal. But I doubt that it matters since there are several attractive games that week, and Mizzou-BYU is not likely to beat any of them out.

Oh, no, I agree with the last part; it's closer to none than slim. (Perhaps I could have worded it better by asking if the game's selection would belong to the ESPN/SEC Network order or the ESPN/whatever serves as BYU's backup channel when ESPN doesn't pick them up.) Still, thanks.

I was just curious if anyone here was more familiar with how such a situation would, contractually, work. It's rare enough to see a neutral site, out of conference game late enough in the season that the conference contracts are in full swing, so I was wondering what would happen if two more major/big name schools from different conferences were ever to do such that far into the season.

So it would pretty much just depend on what was decided when the game contract itself was made?

Last edited:
If they have, it's been a while.

The likely options for the unannounced weeks (my guess in bold):

Week 4 (9/2): Texas A&M vs Arkansas (in Dallas), MSU @ Auburn, UT @ Florida

Week 5 (10/3): Bama @ UGA, Arkansas @ UT, USCe @ Mizzou

Week 6 (10/10): Arkansas @ Bama, UGA @ UT, LSU @ USCe

Week 7 (10/17): Bama @ A&M, UF @ LSU, Mizzou @ UGA

Week 8 (10/24): UT @ Bama, AU @ Arkansas, A&M @ Ole Miss

Week 11 Afternoon: Arkansas @ Ole Miss, AU @ A&M, USCe @ UT
Primetime: LSU @ Bama

Week 12 Morning: Arkansas @ LSU, Bama @ MSU, UF @ USCe
Afternoon: UGA @ AU

Week 13 (11/21): MSU @ Arkansas, LSU @ Ole Miss, UT @ Mizzou

Week 14 (11/28): Bama @ AU* There are other games, obviously, but CBS is not going to put themselves into a position where they lose the Iron Bowl two years in a row.

I think it's very, very unlikely that UT doesn't get a couple of games of the week.

Please no Bama vs UT on CBS. That'll be a nightmare

The QB situation is basically right where it was at this time last year. In May of '14, I was convinced that if we went into the season with Sims at QB, we were toast. This is going to be unpopular on here, but Lane Kiffin can work miracles with quarterbacks. So, I'm not as concerned that we don't have an official starter yet.

There's no way that any team simply replaces a guy like Amari Cooper, so that is a loss. But we have a ton of depth at WR, so I'm confident we'll be okay there.

The defensive line should be nasty. Maybe the best we've had under Saban. The linebackers should be pretty good as well.

The secondary is a concern. I genuinely hope that some of the young corners win the starting gigs, because I can't envision keeping my sanity if I have to sit thru another year of watching repositioned WRs getting beat deep every time the other team has a 3rd-and-long.

We have the best punter in the country. We don't have the best kicker in the country.

That's the Reader's Digest version.

So you guys are going to suck again? Great. Got It. Good.

In all seriousness, Kiffin does do a very good job developing QB's so it will be interesting to see if Coker is the guy and how the offense will evolve now that Cooper is gone. I expect OJ Howard and Henry to have monster years. I think you're right about the secondary, it's definitely the weak link for the Tide over the past few seasons.

The week 1 opener is interesting. Has CBS aired non-conference games with just a single SEC team before?

I also have to wonder if Tennessee will get shut out of 3:30 games again. I don't necessarily mind, seeing as how we haven't won one in ages, but they do have an air of importance that ESPN/SEC Network games can sometimes lack.

Good thing about not being on CBS is no Verne and Gary

They generally have rights to pick those up in years when the SEC team is the home team, right?

That must be right because CBS had our home game with Notre Dame in 2004 and that would be on NBC if it was in South Bend. Also, Florida State beat Alabama in Jacksonville in 2007 on CBS.

Last edited:
Wtmf? Georgia and Vandy in front of 21,000 fans on West End (16k of which will be Dawg fans) at 3:30 in the afternoon? Is there not a Kentucky vs Elon or Presbyterian game available? I certainly understand the allure of Georgia....but NO team, college, NFL or otherwise, is enough of a draw to warrant a Vandy game being nationally televised at their middle school "stadium".

If Vandy can't get some seats in the seats (hand out tens and twenties at the corner pool hall, maybe), it could be a great moment for grins as the state of their program is revealed for all to see.

That was not nice of me... :cray:

If Vandy can't get some seats in the seats (hand out tens and twenties at the corner pool hall, maybe), it could be a great moment for grins as the state of their program is revealed for all to see.

That was not nice of me... :cray:

Let's not pretend that the game won't be a sellout. It'll be 70% UGA fans, but it'll be sold out.

I forgot the 2004 Tenn/Notre Dame game was on CBS too.

That game sucked so much. Amazing how 2 bad play calls, 1 by Randy Sanders and 1 by Coach Cut impacted seasons where Ainge got hurt. We were BCS caliber in both '04 and IMO BCS Title contenders in '06. That '06 team was outstanding, we just had a few bad bounces.

That game sucked so much. Amazing how 2 bad play calls, 1 by Randy Sanders and 1 by Coach Cut impacted seasons where Ainge got hurt. We were BCS caliber in both '04 and IMO BCS Title contenders in '06. That '06 team was outstanding, we just had a few bad bounces.

That ND loss was terrible. They weren't even very good that year and it was a home game.

Bad thing about not being on CBS: it means we suck.

I guess it sort of does, but honestly IMHO being the 3:30 game on CBS isn't as big of a deal anymore now with the SEC having such a bigger TV footprint. I think the bigger deal now is being a primetime game on CBS, like some of our past Florida games were.

I guess it sort of does, but honestly IMHO being the 3:30 game on CBS isn't as big of a deal anymore now with the SEC having such a bigger TV footprint. I think the bigger deal now is being a primetime game on CBS, like some of our past Florida games were.

I prefer playing on ESPN in primetime, if we are the home team. I like night games.

I agree about the footprint and accessibility that is available. I prefer night games more than anyone, but the prestige of being CBS' game of the week in the best conference in the country is always impressive. Plus the CBS college football music intro is IMHO, the best of any network for any sport.

VN Store

Back