CBS: Fulmer sees himself in Pruitt.

I get the sense Pruitt and Fulmer probably went out and re enacted the final dance scene from Dirty Dancing after sitting for this article.

Media can fluff Pruitt all it wants but until he wins SEC games he is unproven as the head man.

Keep making fun of the HALL OF FAME coach that won 10 games every year and won our only NC in the last 67 years and competed for the SEC every year, even the year before he was told to go won the East, the Fulmer curse lives on, boy thats funny winning 4 to 6 games a year is real funny most of the fans got what they deserve a 5 or 6 win football program and let me tell you what is really funny we are below Vandy and KENTUCKY in football talent boy i think i will laugh my azz of.:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:and you know what it will take at least 3 years before this team has a chance to win 6 games:eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

It's the University of Tennessee, not the University of Fulmer.

The guy is lucky to have landed another SEC job. If Currie and company weren't so incompetent he'd still be "consulting" at ETSU.

He got fired and deserved it. Get over it.

What rubbed me the wrong way is, I thought his jabs at UT were more numerous and pointed than one would expect from a more objective sportswriter. He's just another hack trying to roil the reader's emotions to get more clicks or an attaboy from his editor.

Reactions: 1 person

The guy is lucky to have landed another SEC job. If Currie and company weren't so incompetent he'd still be "consulting" at ETSU.

So, you're saying that to land a prestigious job as AD of UTK is just luck. He's the AD in power and position. You're not. Get over it!

Reactions: 3 people
So, you're saying that to land a prestigious job as AD of UTK is just luck. He's the AD in power and position. You're not. Get over it!

It definitely wasn't luck. Given those in charge over the last decade, a massive systemic failure of the athletic program became increasingly possible as each month passed. All Fulmer had to do was bide his time until 4-8 happened to ride in on his badly overburdened white horse to save the day.

It definitely wasn't luck. Given those in charge over the last decade, a massive systemic failure of the athletic program became increasingly possible as each month passed. All Fulmer had to do was bide his time until 4-8 happened to ride in on his badly overburdened white horse to save the day.

I guess the bottom line is that he is here in that capacity and anyone hating on that might want to back up and choose a team that they can follow that better defines them as a fan.

Reactions: 3 people
What rubbed me the wrong way is, I thought his jabs at UT were more numerous and pointed than one would expect from a more objective sportswriter. He's just another hack trying to roil the reader's emotions to get more clicks or an attaboy from his editor.

And, yes I will go there, he took a jab and is laughing behind his keyboard with this quote: "Fulmer went with his gut."

I enjoyed the read and thought it was a well thought out and well written piece. I only take exception with two statements:

'The speculation was over the top for Tennessee fans who traditionally overvalue their program'. I find this statement to be insulting. We don't 'over value' anything. The Tennessee brand has great inherent value.

'Remember, this is a fan base that was convinced Jon Gruden was a possibility.' This is also insulting. The fan base had plenty of reason to think Gruden would consider Tennessee and he did absolutely nothing to dispel that idea. I watched him several times on MNF and he was very careful to mention Tennessee as often as possible. He was playing the game to up his ante for a pro gig, but no Vol fan was foolish for buying into his shtick. He sold it well and it was a reasonable concept, based on his past relationship with the school.

pretty much this. i didn't think it was overly negative, but it did have a backhanded feel to it....as if to say, 'this may work out, but it's not because those crazy fans deserve it'. pretty much drew a line between cpf and cjp and the fans...almost like 'it's a pity those two have to deal with them.....'

Let's hope it's 92-2001 Phil he sees and not 2002-2008 Phil.

:lolabove:

Yeah, after the last 10 seasons, it would be terrible to have a 7 year run where the Vols won the East 4 times, played in 3 SECCGs, 2 Outback, 2 Peach and 1 Cotton bowl. A 57-32 record (which is a better winning pct than Majors winning record in his entire time at UT) would be a great change as well.

Wins at Miami, Alabama, UGA, and Florida along with guaranteed wins over South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy. Yeah. I understand why you wouldn't want to return to those days!:ermm:

I enjoyed the read and thought it was a well thought out and well written piece. I only take exception with two statements:

'The speculation was over the top for Tennessee fans who traditionally overvalue their program'. I find this statement to be insulting. We don't 'over value' anything. The Tennessee brand has great inherent value.

'Remember, this is a fan base that was convinced Jon Gruden was a possibility.' This is also insulting. The fan base had plenty of reason to think Gruden would consider Tennessee and he did absolutely nothing to dispel that idea. I watched him several times on MNF and he was very careful to mention Tennessee as often as possible. He was playing the game to up his ante for a pro gig, but no Vol fan was foolish for buying into his shtick. He sold it well and it was a reasonable concept, based on his past relationship with the school.

We do overvalue our program. It hasn't been worth a damn in over a decade. However, I would consider our stock volatile because we have the resources to be a top program but the fact is that we haven't produced but two decent seasons in a very long time. Ever wondered why the big name coaches declined to come here when we are a "top" program (besides some meddling from the top)?

I think Fulmer made the right choice in picking Pruitt. We as Volnation need to give him time just like we gave Butch. I believe Pruitt has that little extra to get us competing with the big boys in a year or two. If we have a decent season this year with solid recruiting, we will be on our way imo.

I helped nix Schiano and Doeren. They would have been obviously nixed w/o my lone voice, but I contributed.

I AM NOT EMBARRASSED.

Last edited:
We do overvalue our program. It hasn't been worth a damn in over a decade. However, I would consider our stock volatile because we have the resources to be a top program but the fact is that we haven't produced but two decent seasons in a very long time. Ever wondered why the big name coaches declined to come here when we are a "top" program (besides some meddling from the top)?

I think Fulmer made the right choice in picking Pruitt. We as Volnation need to give him time just like we gave Butch. I believe Pruitt has that little extra to get us competing with the big boys in a year or two. If we have a decent season this year with solid recruiting, we will be on our way imo.
Oh good grief. We gave him 2 years too many. Really it was obvious who he was after Florida 14.

Alright johnny

Love how he essentially says we luck into Pruitt then calls the actions that led to Pruitt embarrassing.. what a dweeb

If Pruitt can replicate the hall of fame career Fulmer had here then I don't see anyone in VN being unhappy.

Oh good grief. We gave him 2 years too many. Really it was obvious who he was after Florida 14.

Whether that is true or not but that's not what I'm getting at. The fact that fans expect immediate success like Georgia are going to be disappointed if they don't wait. The likelyhood of that same success is low.

:lolabove:

Yeah, after the last 10 seasons, it would be terrible to have a 7 year run where the Vols won the East 4 times, played in 3 SECCGs, 2 Outback, 2 Peach and 1 Cotton bowl. A 57-32 record (which is a better winning pct than Majors winning record in his entire time at UT) would be a great change as well.

Wins at Miami, Alabama, UGA, and Florida along with guaranteed wins over South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vandy. Yeah. I understand why you wouldn't want to return to those days!:ermm:

0 SEC championships
0 National championships
2 losing seasons
8-13 against our 3 biggest rivals (Florida, Georgia, Alabama)
2-3 in bowl games (Including embarrassing ass whippings by Maryland and Clemson)

See, I can play the stats game too. We had become high class mediocrity. If you're good with that, fine. However I want Pruitt to have a higher standard.

VN Store

Back