CBJ and injuries

Couple that with inability to recruit quality SEC depth at the lines and you have huge problems.

Didn't Doug Matthews say this morning that we have great depth at DT and offensive line is our best position group? Just asking

You're trying way too hard. I don't give a damn how good of a S&C Coach you hire. Any player whether it's College or even in the NFL, can get hurt on any given day. All it takes is 1 sec for something to go wrong and that's something you can't control. The human body is not invincible.

So its just bad luck?

Injuries are just part of it. They can be more likely to happen by the S & C coach over training certain areas, or too much practice techniques that strains certain areas of the body. But I'm more than sure those areas have been well looked at by the program. Honestly I think it's just been bad luck

Reactions: 1 person
Couple that with inability to recruit quality SEC depth at the lines and you have huge problems.

IMO when CBJ took over, the depth chart on the O and D lines was worst in the SEC and maybe one of the worst in P5 conferences. It takes a very long time to sign enough players year in and year out to build true SEC quality depth at 5 different O line and 4 different D line positions when you can only sign so many recruits per class and have all the other positions (which were severely lacking in depth as well when he took over) to try and build also. Look at the past 3 signing classes and it's full of very good linemen on both sides of the ball, we've just have had a lot of injuries and attrition that's slowed the process even more.

Reactions: 2 people
No we haven't. Outside of 4 guys who else do we have on the lines that are SEC quality depth? It's CBJs fault he didn't have enough depth there to replace Tuttle and it's his fault JRM was placed on special teams and injured. Knowing his backup is a walk on in Colton Jumper.....dumb

Not that some last year or so could be partly S/C on injury front, which does roll up to Butch. But there are also historic stretches of just bad luck on injuries...FL and GA have had them too...just none as bad as we did last year. We don't have Bama depth...nor does anyone else in SEC right now, so when multiple injuries hit at one position it hurts bad. Still, don't put more than "mimimal" blame on coaching staff. It's a violent game and it happens. Seems we have right guy in SC PROGRAM now.

He has the injury bug for whatever reason and the stats prove it. His problem is he can't recruit top talent at the line.

It seems you are saying Kahlil McKenzie, Shy Tuttle, Drew Richmond, Trey Smith, Jonathon Kongbo etc. were not all highly sought after nor highly rated players. Also Butch Jones is to blame for all of their injuries that happened on the field or for any that may happen in the future.

This statement you made seems totally wrong to me. Just saying.

Unbelievable!

Some of you (us) need to actually read some of your(our) own posts.........read them again.........think about it(if possible) .............then decide just why in the heck you typed that.

Some of us have such strong opinions, that we come up with "facts" and statements that try to back up those opinions, whether or not they have any relevance.

Yes, we are all FANatics, but my gosh, THINK!

p.s. I do realize that it won't stop, I just wanted to restate my opinion!

Reactions: 2 people
About the connection between s&c and injuries. If you look at the point in the season that injuries really became epidemic, you should be able to see what made us susceptible. in an article in Sec country a while back it was confirmed that at least the o-line showed up for fall camp soft and out of shape. At the beginning of the season it was also publicised that they would have a tough row to hoe, not having an open date until after the bama game and the last four being called the gauntlet. the way that the first 5 games transpired, I was worried that this team taxing its strength. It seemed that every game was high intensity, even games that had no business being so. At the time , my thought was that by the time that Bama rolled into town this team was not going to have anything left in the tank. After the Ga game, people would speak in jest about how hard it was on them to watch these games. How draining do you think it was to play those games, especially if if they were not in the best shape to start with?

So, do you think it was just coincidence that players started dropping out like flies during that 5 hour game at A&M?

In the beginning injuries were misfortune. JRM, Sutton and Kirkland's injuries were just that. But if you don't want experience an inordinate amount of injuries, then what you need is stamina!!! Here is the connection you are looking for. Fatigue and injury go hand in hand.

That is the task that Rock will seek to fix. He is a true professional who's job it was to prepare professional athletes to play at least a 20 game season(4 preseason and 16 regular season) Who better to prepare your guys for a 13 game season?

No, no I don't. This is football.

Seriously, man. :thud:

Seriously man... Three years running he's had higher than average injuries. Maybe he failed to manage the S&C situation correctly. Maybe he doesn't know how to run a practice. Maybe he recruits fragile players. Maybe he doesn't know how to manage reps and PT.

Whatever it is... it is a three year pattern. It isn't just "football" or else every other team would have the same pattern. They don't.

Unbelievable!

Some of you (us) need to actually read some of your(our) own posts.........read them again.........think about it(if possible) .............then decide just why in the heck you typed that.

Some of us have such strong opinions, that we come up with "facts" and statements that try to back up those opinions, whether or not they have any relevance.

Yes, we are all FANatics, but my gosh, THINK!

p.s. I do realize that it won't stop, I just wanted to restate my opinion!

Don't ruin Volnation. The best part is guessing the post # of when a new thread will go off the rails, then reading thru it to see if you're right. It's even more fun to ignore blue font and proof. It gets wild!

Whatever it is this guy has the injury bug with his players. This is the third year in a row we have 5 defensive lineman out for the spring. We have had crucial injuries every year with him. This, more than his game day blunders, will do him in IMO

He is safe as long as we win 7 games this year and 8 games in 2018 coach Jones has at least 3 more years we are average we hire people that are average and we will accept average we have become a average football program where if you win 8 games your job is safe now on the bright side DD still could be coaching the truth hurts but remember 1 thing OLD TP tells THE TRUTH and some can't stand that when the time comes again we will hire that 1 or 2 year wonder that won 10 games in the MAC or WAC we are AVERAGE THESE DAYS THEY SHOULD CALL US AVERAGE U some will get pissed but old TP WILL BE RIGHT AGAIN like i am most of the time and like old TP says the TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES.:thud:

Didn't Doug Matthews say this morning that we have great depth at DT and offensive line is our best position group? Just asking

NO! Butch can't recruit elite line talent. Kmac & Trey Smith were players he had to settle for because no highly rated linemen would come play for him. :eek:lol:

BTW, both were rated by some services as not the best at their position, but best football player in the nation, period.

Seriously man... Three years running he's had higher than average injuries. Maybe he failed to manage the S&C situation correctly. Maybe he doesn't know how to run a practice. Maybe he recruits fragile players. Maybe he doesn't know how to manage reps and PT.

Whatever it is... it is a three year pattern. It isn't just "football" or else every other team would have the same pattern. They don't.

Interesting information. The problem is that you (nor the OP) have established a link between the Head Coaches actions / inactions that make the correlation between coaching and injury. Because we have had 2 straight years of high rates of injury to important player does NOT necessarily establish a link to the HC. Where is that written? Why? Do you have some verifiable evidence? Why not blame the same AD that has been here? Why not blame the same School President? We've also had the same recruiting coordinator. Should he be blamed?

This kind of illogic is reminiscent of today's social justice warriors out fighting the wage gap. It's the same ignorant principle. #1 Men average making more than women statistically #2 Therefore, our society values males more than females. THAT's THE ilLOGIC used. It's done by taking a stat, then doing a Michael Jordan sized leap to ANY reason that the group decides on. Nevermind the thousands of other possibilities as possible causes. Nevermind that rarely if ever anyone can find an actual apples to apples case where one = man is paid more than one = woman. Nevermind the mountain of socioeconomic and cultural reasons for this gap. Naaaaah, just leeeeeeeeeap to your conclusion of choice and say women are being cheated by a misogynistic male dominated nation. That's what feels good. Oh, and nevermind that the law forbids such a gap.

This is exactly what's happening in this thread. It's time for some of you logic-juggarnauts to show 1 piece of actual proof that the HC has done or not done something properly, that have increased injuruies. JUST ONE! If you can't put that up, then you need to shut up, IMO.

Reactions: 7 people

Is your "3 year pattern" PROOF that the HC has done his job wrong? Do you know our injury % in comparison to the other 120 D1 teams? If we had high injuries in yr 1 & 3, but not 2, would it still be the HCs fault? What @ 1 year only? HOW DO YOU LINK YOU STATS TO THE CAUSE? Please do tell.

It seems you are saying Kahlil McKenzie, Shy Tuttle, Drew Richmond, Trey Smith, Jonathon Kongbo etc. were not all highly sought after nor highly rated players. Also Butch Jones is to blame for all of their injuries that happened on the field or for any that may happen in the future.

This statement you made seems totally wrong to me. Just saying.

All scrubs. UTC and Carson Newman passed on most of them.

He has the injury bug for whatever reason and the stats prove it. His problem is he can't recruit top talent at the line.

So the guy has at least 2 5star OL and 3 5 star DL some had Shy at 5 which would put him at 4 5 star DL...but man we cant get top talent.... can yall look at Dooley, Kiffin, and Fulmers last few years and please tell me they did better??????

So the guy has at least 2 5star OL and 3 5 star DL some had Shy at 5 which would put him at 4 5 star DL...but man we cant get top talent.... can yall look at Dooley, Kiffin, and Fulmers last few years and please tell me they did better??????

Oh and God forbid we keep Cade Mays... then CBJ has 3 5 star OL and 4 5 star DL.... man what a crappy line recruiter...

Oh and God forbid we keep Cade Mays... then CBJ has 3 5 star OL and 4 5 star DL.... man what a crappy line recruiter...

So far the talent of our starters has improved each year. 121 will be a true test of that trend.

I like our chances.

Go Vols!

The things some people create in their mind and turn into fact, in their opinion, is unreal, IMO! Lol gotta love the off season.

Really? KMac #1, Tuttle #2 DT in the country! Barnett going in the top 15 in the upcoming draft. Kongbo #1 juco DE. Please tell me he can't recruit top talent.

:thud:

Tennesseeduke

Don't forget Trey #1 recruit in the country

VN Store

Back