Case for Holly!

Or, UT could follow the same pattern of success that followed Fulmer's exit.

I'm not saying Holly is a great coach, nor is she immune from criticism. But, she is trying to fill the shoes of a legend. How often do they enjoy the same success as their predecessor?

Well, she now has an AD that will help her "work like heck" to not completely kill the program(no one wants them to succeed any more than I do)........and, don't you have more faith in PF to not hire a Dooley or Jones.......What.........6 more years?????

Reactions: 1 person
Well, she now has an AD that will help her "work like heck" to not completely kill the program(no one wants them to succeed any more than I do)........and, don't you have more faith in PF to not hire a Dooley or Jones.......What.........6 more years?????

Do you really want success or are you desperate for something else to ***** about while waiting to see if Pruitt is going to fail?

I agree with the article and has been my contention all along. Pat was struggling the last few years mainly due to the game changing around her. I don't know if she would have made the changes necessary in the playing style to get back to the final 4. Now we have a Pat clone running the same style of play with less results and no ability to change. It can't be compared to Pat's tenure because there are more 5 star players and more great coaches, this is true. If we want to get back to the final 4 we must change the style of play and recruit to that style.

it is incredible that we are even debating this topic still.....

Holly has had 30 years sitting next to the best.... a year filling in for her as head coach and six on her own.... and I didn't wake up one day and arbitrarily say... Holly isn't the right fit here in Knoxville....

It is in her words at the briefings.. it is in her players words.... it is not hard to piece together that she really does not have a good handle on how to motivate, get respect, and run the program....

And it has a little to do with who she replaced... yes, but that has long since passed.... Oregon and Oregon State coaches didn't replace legends....they are doing fine... and the main problem is not that she replaced Pat... it is in the way she handles people and teaches the game on and off the court.... it is pretty visible to me....

Again I must mention again Oregon State..... we lost to them we were 3 seed they were a 6 seed... after the game Craig commented that there was no way they were a 6 seed.... in that same context should we have been a 3 seed at all? We plucked the primo players out of Oregon.... Mercedes was #1 overall.... Evina was #2 overall and Nared #6 overall... i do not think Oregon State had a player ranked in the top 100 .... maybe 1 maybe someone wants to check my on that.... so why is Oregon State so revered and we are not?

And why is everyone still singing holly's praises.... she is a wonderful and loyal LV but these are the big leagues....

Or they should be seen as that....

Reactions: 10 people
I'm confused by the 'can't follow a legend' truism. Is that an argument for keeping CHW? Does it buy her extra time, a dispensation? Why? If we already know she can't succeed due to bearing the cross of previous success then why postpone the inevitable?

To me it argues to go ahead and let her go and move on to the next coach who would presumably be unburdened by legend following. I've never heard of a coach-who-follows-the-coach-who-couldn't-follow-the-legend jinx so we should be safe.

Reactions: 7 people
it is incredible that we are even debating this topic still.....

Holly has had 30 years sitting next to the best.... a year filling in for her as head coach and six on her own.... and I didn't wake up one day and arbitrarily say... Holly isn't the right fit here in Knoxville....

It is in her words at the briefings.. it is in her players words.... it is not hard to piece together that she really does not have a good handle on how to motivate, get respect, and run the program....

And it has a little to do with who she replaced... yes, but that has long since passed.... Oregon and Oregon State coaches didn't replace legends....they are doing fine... and the main problem is not that she replaced Pat... it is in the way she handles people and teaches the game on and off the court.... it is pretty visible to me....

Again I must mention again Oregon State..... we lost to them we were 3 seed they were a 6 seed... after the game Craig commented that there was no way they were a 6 seed.... in that same context should we have been a 3 seed at all? We plucked the primo players out of Oregon.... Mercedes was #1 overall.... Evina was #2 overall and Nared #6 overall... i do not think Oregon State had a player ranked in the top 100 .... maybe 1 maybe someone wants to check my on that.... so why is Oregon State so revered and we are not?

And why is everyone still singing holly's praises.... she is a wonderful and loyal LV but these are the big leagues....

Or they should be seen as that....

You do realize this same Oregon State team that beat us beat a Baylor team that was a 2 seed and coached by one of the most beloved current head coaches by prospects (evident by her #1 incoming recruiting class) who has two National Championships under her belt. Muffet McGraw just won her 2nd championship; first since 2001. When it comes to sports fans (if you can even call yourself that) need to support the team they like or shut the hell up because your opinion is like buttholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. Especially the ones on here (negavols)! All this whining and complaining hasn't changed anything and it won't which further proves my point that your opinions don't matter. So give it a rest!

Reactions: 5 people
"The Lady Vols are on the cusp of returning to the program we all remember from a decade ago."

That reminds me of a common saying in Brazil in the 1970s:

Brasil. País do futuro..... e sempre vai ser!"
Brazil. Country of the future.... and it always will be.

Reactions: 2 people
You do realize this same Oregon State team that beat us beat a Baylor team that was a 2 seed and coached by one of the most beloved current head coaches by prospects (evident by her #1 incoming recruiting class) who has two National Championships under her belt. Muffet McGraw just won her 2nd championship; first since 2001. When it comes to sports fans (if you can even call yourself that) need to support the team they like or shut the hell up because your opinion is like buttholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. Especially the ones on here (negavols)! All this whining and complaining hasn't changed anything and it won't which further proves my point that your opinions don't matter. So give it a rest!

Feel Better?......you do realize that you made his case. You are saying that better COACHES went deeper in the tourney.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
"The Lady Vols are on the cusp of returning to the program we all remember from a decade ago."

That reminds me of a common saying in Brazil in the 1970s:

Brasil. País do futuro..... e sempre vai ser!"
Brazil. Country of the future.... and it always will be.

Just 6 more years....that is ALL CHW needs....

Mikey... I am glad you are a hardcore fan..... that is good.... and I hear you with the buttonhole and shut the hell up.... yes it is America... and believe me I am not out to cause trouble.... but I have an endless list of issues that I would put up as evidence that our coach is not in the big leagues to the degree of other coaches....

and I would ask you.... sincerely..... why is Oregon State so good? is it because other teams could not see the diamonds in the rough ranked #140 in the country coming out of the prep ranks or is it because they teach the game in the way it should be taught....

And as for our players..... 3 players came from Oregon in the top 5 nationally ... 2 graduated this year.... did they graduate as that same ranking... or did they decline...

And as for our record.. as long as you are labeling me buttonhole etc.... what signature wins has our program had in 7 years that Pat has not been on the sidelines.... was it the great comeback win over a vaunted Gonzaga team in the NCAAs to get to the sweet 16?

I understand that you want me and others to "shut the hell up" and i do not like to criticize.... just expressing opinion...

and by the way.... you will never hear me criticize your or anyone else's opinion.... i want to win like you do

Reactions: 5 people
Mikey... I am glad you are a hardcore fan..... that is good.... and I hear you with the buttonhole and shut the hell up.... yes it is America... and believe me I am not out to cause trouble.... but I have an endless list of issues that I would put up as evidence that our coach is not in the big leagues to the degree of other coaches....

and I would ask you.... sincerely..... why is Oregon State so good? is it because other teams could not see the diamonds in the rough ranked #140 in the country coming out of the prep ranks or is it because they teach the game in the way it should be taught....

And as for our players..... 3 players came from Oregon in the top 5 nationally ... 2 graduated this year.... did they graduate as that same ranking... or did they decline...

And as for our record.. as long as you are labeling me buttonhole etc.... what signature wins has our program had in 7 years that Pat has not been on the sidelines.... was it the great comeback win over a vaunted Gonzaga team in the NCAAs to get to the sweet 16?

I understand that you want me and others to "shut the hell up" and i do not like to criticize.... just expressing opinion...

and by the way.... you will never hear me criticize your or anyone else's opinion.... i want to win like you do

Well Played Bill.....you showed more class than his post deserves....

Reactions: 3 people

This is the nicest tell-off I have ever read

Reactions: 3 people
Feel Better?......you do realize that you made his case. You are saying that better COACHES went deeper in the tourney.

You're obviously not very bright so let me enlighten you on what my comment referenced. It referenced the fact (which you agree with) that Kim and Muffet are considered better coaches than Holly, yet have 2 championships with all their history. Kim coach under legendary head coach at La Tech Leon Barmore and how long did it take her to win her first? As for Muffet, there was a 17 year gap in between championships. It hasn't even been 17 years since UT's last championship and you negavols are ready to commit mass murder (I wish you'd choose to commit suicide instead) on those of us who don't wish for the program to fail just to get a new coach who will have the same struggles following Pat that Holly did.

Again, stop whining about this team or find one that suits your entitlement mentality. There's no crying in basketball. Big babies!!

Reactions: 2 people

Let's start by saying Oregon State didn't only beat us they beat a proven championship winning coach on their run to the Elite 8 this year. So by your logic, that would make Holly and Kim even when it comes to prepari g their teams.

Secondly, I love how those that attack Holly CONSTANTLY love to whine when they come under a little scrutiny. Some ppl call it karma, I call it reaping what you sow.

Third, my comment didn't label you a butthole. My comment said your opinion is like a butthole totally different interpretation. But some ppl will make up things to suit there agenda anyway!

Fourth, signature wins? How about #2 in the nation. Or ND the year before. Or the countless top 10 teams we've continue to show that we can beat since Holly took over as head coach. You can dislike her all you want, which is your right. You can even say negative things about her because "this is a'merica!!" But what you can't and won't do is discredit facts!

Or, UT could follow the same pattern of success that followed Fulmer's exit.

I'm not saying Holly is a great coach, nor is she immune from criticism. But, she is trying to fill the shoes of a legend. How often do they enjoy the same success as their predecessor?

Filling the shoes of a legend is a cowardly way of trying to explain someone's incompetence. Pat Summitt needs to stay out of the conversation about the inadequate coaching that is going on.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back