Candy/Dessert Thread

they were the best I've ever made,i've been working on the home made ones for around a year,I've tried different recipes,with these all I did was follow the recipe on a sack of White Lilly self rising flour,instead of shortening,I used the low fat margarine

I measured out a heaping 1/4 cup, and chilled it in the freezer(around 20 or 30 minutes) before I cut it in just a little bit with a pastry cutter,or what ever it is called :) and then finished mixing it by hand

they came out great

Banana Split Icebox Cake

1 - 9x13 casserole dish
2 - boxes of Jello brand instant cheesecake (plain)
2 or 3 - large, ripe bananas
1 - small can of crushed pineapple
1 - small jar of maraschino cherries
1 - tub of Cool Whip topping (any type)
1 - bottle of chocolate ice cream sauce (your fav, or any kind)
1 - small package of chopped nuts (mixed, or any kind)

Crust -
Mix the crust from the instant cheesecake box, per the directions on the package (I usually add a half teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix). Once mixed, pack it down well inside the bottom of the casserole dish. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. (you don't HAVE to bake it, but to me it makes it better if the crust is baked) Let cool completely.

Filling -
Slice the bananas up and spread them out on top of the crust so there is a nice layer of banana on top of the crust.
Mix the cheesecake mixture according to the box directions, MINUS 1/2 cup of the liquid/milk. Pour over the banana's/crust in the casserole dish. Smooth out with a knife or spatula.
Place into the fridge, covered, for at least two hours, or until the cheesecake part is completely set.

Toppings -
Drain the crushed pineapple and spread or sprinkle the bits and pieces over the top of the cheesecake in the casserole dish.
Cover the entire thing with a layer of Cool Whip.
Decorate the top of the dessert with drained/dried off maraschino cherries, drizzled chocolate syrup, and sprinkled chopped nuts.

Place back into the fridge for at least two hours.

easy as pie :)

sadly the cherries disappeared before I made it and I haven't tried it yet

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
Been awhile, but in laws are coming in tonight and I wanted to try two new recipes - red velvet oreo cheesecake bars and cinnamon oreo cheesecake bars. My kind of dessert, both very good!!!!

Attachments

• 20160524_124901.jpg
    20160524_124901.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok guys, I've taken my first step into the world of cheesecakes.

Ruggles Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Recipe - Food.com

It's currently in the oven for the final couple minutes. My actual first step was a couple days ago when I tried it and pulled it out roughly at the right time, only to learn that every comment said to leave it at least another 20 minutes. So we're trying again lol

Cheesecakes are hard to master, don't want to under or over cook, stirring at too high speed can ruin it, the cracking, etc. I'm still learning, but so far no problems with them tasting great.

Jefferson's Old Fashioned Cupcakes

tumblr_o3mt4zGM2p1qdq63io1_1280.jpg

Old-Fashioned Cupcakes | Serious Eats

I haven't gotten to try them yet, but oh am I looking forward to it. As a bartender at a whiskey bar, I kinda went above and beyond the recipe. It calls for pouring a little whiskey on top of the cupcakes with poked holes to seep in, but I actually reduced a little whiskey with juice from the jar of Luxardo cherries (which is also the cherry on top), as well as some Angostura bitters to have more of the Old Fashioned taste inside the cake itself.

I see that you purchase your alcohol at my place of work

I'm in East Tn and usually don't see a good season for ripe ones,where do you find them at ?all I see is what is grown around here and there isn't many to pick from,that I know of

if I could run across a bushel of good ones,I would buy them

and try to can them,I've never canned any Peaches before,but I ain't scared to try either :)

Hey... I was looking through this thread and found this post. Try the WNC Farmers Market. It is right off I-40 in Asheville. I have friends in K-town that drive over to get stuff about once a month. They make a day of it and eat at the Moose Cafe. Peaches should be full swing right about now.

NCDA&CS - Marketing Division - Western North Carolina Farmers Market

Edit: Highly recommend the meat loaf and chicken & dumplings.

Last edited:
Wife made her annual Peanut butter fudge this morning. I'll post the finish pics when it sets up

Attachments

• 20161218_110024.jpg
    20161218_110024.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20161218_105423.jpg
    20161218_105423.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20161218_105430.jpg
    20161218_105430.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 8
an easy peanut butter mix is a jar of peanut butter and a can of white cake frosting :)

need to keep it refrigerated though or it is on the thin side,but it tastes great

Put this in the BBQ thread. Didn't realize we had a dessert thread here. This is my moms cobbler recipe.

Drop a stick of butter in a 9x13 glass pan and put in the oven. Preheat to 350 and let the butter melt. Put 2 cups of self rising flour, 2 cups of sugar, and 2 cups of milk in a bowl and mix well.

Pull the 9x13 pan back out with the butter fully melted. Add whatever fruit you want to the 9x13 pan until the bottom is covered. Pour the flour mixture over top of the fruit and bake at 350° for around 40 minutes until you can stick a toothpick in the middle and it come out clean.

She called this her simple simon cobbler. I've had apple, peach, white peach, blueberry, and blackberry. All delicious.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back