Can We Offer Pat Adams an NIL Deal to Never Officiate a Vol Game Again

You are correct. The refs last night was not the reason for the loss. Effort was. Every loss this season was due to the opponent being more aggressive and knocking the Vols in the mouth. For all of the talent we have, this is not a championship team. They just do not have the heart of a team like Admiral and Grant. I hope things change somewhere. They are not mentally tough enough.

But I do not blame Barnes but the chemistry of these players. You just see too many of them standing around at times.

I was hoping we had a separate thread for refs because they did just weird things. Coach Barnes got loud about Buzz running to the middle of the court to call a timeout but didn't A&M make a substitution during an officiating stoppage for out of bounds right before that? If it was just out-of-bounds subs aren't allowed there. Barnes was upset enough at the quality of the officiating to take a timeout just before the end of the game just to "chat".

I didn't see too much to get me upset about missed called aside from Garcia, who several times pushed players out of the way with extended arms before getting rebounds. Usually if your arms are extended like that you won't escape without a call.

You are correct. The refs last night was not the reason for the loss. Effort was. Every loss this season was due to the opponent being more aggressive and knocking the Vols in the mouth. For all of the talent we have, this is not a championship team. They just do not have the heart of a team like Admiral and Grant. I hope things change somewhere. They are not mentally tough enough.

But I do not blame Barnes but the chemistry of these players. You just see too many of them standing around at times.
I kind of agree with this but a lot of these current players won SEC Tournament in the 2022 season, they may not have the heart of Admiral & Grant but neither have been Championship teams on a National level.

I kind of agree with this but a lot of these current players won SEC Tournament in the 2022 season, they may not have the heart of Admiral & Grant but neither have been Championship teams on a National level.
If you go back and look at each loss you can see the difference when they get smashed in the mouth. They can be sensational when opponents are intimidated by them but challenge them and they become very passive.

I was hoping we had a separate thread for refs because they did just weird things. Coach Barnes got loud about Buzz running to the middle of the court to call a timeout but didn't A&M make a substitution during an officiating stoppage for out of bounds right before that? If it was just out-of-bounds subs aren't allowed there. Barnes was upset enough at the quality of the officiating to take a timeout just before the end of the game just to "chat".

I didn't see too much to get me upset about missed called aside from Garcia, who several times pushed players out of the way with extended arms before getting rebounds. Usually if your arms are extended like that you won't escape without a call.
noticed they weren't trying to rebound as much as swatting the ball back out to the back court to avoid being called for the foul.they were on our backs all night.

When it appears there's angst/bias between a particular school and ref, it seems like there should be some mechanism for getting the league officials to avoid assigning a particular ref to its games. Is this not the case? I recall...vaguely...that something had been discussed on this board before. Can't recall if it was a UT thing or not. Just kinda remember something along those lines.

Reactions: JohnWardForever

All those things happened. Pat Adams would have teed up CRB if he'd run to the middle of the court to get a time out. Give Adams credit, he took his azz chewing like a man after CRB called the time out to give him an earful.

The tied ball time out that was allowed also irked me but by that time I expected it to go A&M's way at that point in the game. If there wasn't a substitution, an A&M player exited the court and reentered the game. The kid with the blue shoes.

Refs didn't cost us the game. They cost us momentum and possessions. Vols absolutely do not like a physical style. They better get used to it.

All those things happened. Pat Adams would have teed up CRB if he'd run to the middle of the court to get a time out. Give Adams credit, he took his azz chewing like a man after CRB called the time out to give him an earful.

The tied ball time out that was allowed also irked me but by that time I expected it to go A&M's way at that point in the game. If there wasn't a substitution, an A&M player exited the court and reentered the game. The kid with the blue shoes.

Refs didn't cost us the game. They cost us momentum and possessions. Vols absolutely do not like a physical style. They better get used to it.
I was at the game last night and you are absolutely correct. The number of possessions in the 2nd half with fouls (both teams) destroyed any chance to get into a rhythm, which hurts the team that is losing more than the team that is winning. Earlier this season, we heard a lot about TN’s physical style from commentators. We were not physical at all last night and will see this style of play from other opponents for the rest of the season. This was an awful performance by our guys, but at least we get a chance to play them again on 2/24.

I’m not blaming him for a loss, but we never seem to get into a rhythm for any game he officiated.
I think you are spot on. If you look at games he refs for UT over last 5 yrs I bet you would see a trend. He just sucks life out of the game. Was hoping we could get on track, but we have a problem with over trying in my opinion. I will never fault this team for effort as they know what to do and they give their all every time they step on court, but they do press and get all out of whack bad sometimes. That's what I hope they can figure out soon even though hopefully they won't have as bad of refs in dance!!! LOL

Reactions: Chunkyvol12

A&M continually camped out in the lane, several times for what seemed to be the entire possession.

Reactions: Wireless1

He also threw Santi to the floor several times.

This is not confined to basketball or football alone or even to the SEC, but with the billions of dollars flowing thru the universities and the NCAA they would do the sports far more good in developing full time professional referees that would be highly paid, and highly trained and highly reviewed and responsible entities. It would cut into their profits, so you therefore have enforcement committees that concern themselves with barbecues and jet travel rather than a move that would be beneficial to the fans’ enjoyment of the game.

This game was lost in the first 4 minutes of the game, TAM was ready to play for some reason we wasns't and that alarming.
I agree. The barrage of threes COMPLETELY altered the rest of the game and we never recovered. That’s the headline with many subtext under it but it set a tone for the game we never equaled. As far as Pat Adams…he just seemed to take TV Tedddy’s place though I still think Pat tries to call a fair game. It just seems he’s always caught up in controversy every game. I was definitely stunned when Buzz ran into the middle of play to signal a timeout and never got a technical foul. They simply got that wrong …and Buzz knew it IMO.

It’s almost like the Michael Jordan effect. Looks like some of our guys just watch knecht play and forget they’re in the game also for brief periods of time

I’m not blaming him for a loss, but we never seem to get into a rhythm for any game he officiated.
He shouldn’t be calling games in this league. A good rec league for 8-10 yr olds would be more appropriate

The goal tending that wiped out a basket during half time chapped me because had they reviewed at the time UT would have retained the ball rather than A&M getting it

VN Store

Back