Can Kentucky go “Schiano” on Pope?

Schiano Sunday set the stage for where we are now whether you like it or not.

If the AD didn't back down and still tried to force the hire through, we would have still been hiring another coach in 2021. We might not have gotten D White and then no Heupel.

That day was one of the most proud I have ever been of the fanbase. Collectively it was made clear that our standards and trust in the AD had been violated.

Screw what everyone else thinks. This is Tennessee. We do things how WE want. Worrying about what other fanbases think is a fools errand if our fanbase ever starts actually caring what everyone else thinks-I will be finding a new team. I like being the outlaw sometimes.
Schiano has brought zero life to Rutgers since he’s been there. That’s his home University & only place he had success in his earlier years. I know Rutgers ain’t Tennessee which makes that decision to hire him, & subsequent criticism Vol nation got, even more ignorant.

Hyperbolic BS ....

There was nothing wrong with Vol fans taking a stand against a coach who would have been a bad fit here. Schiano is exactly the worst kind of hire for Tennessee. He would have been hard to get rid of. He would have consistently won just enough to avoid getting fired, but never had a season like 2022. Was that coaching search an embarrassment for Tennessee? Yes, but with how short news cycles have become, it didn't last long. History won't care enough about it to judge it at all. Things worked out for the best in the long run because Schiano was rejected.
Yep, it’s not difficult to understand that the response to Schiano and hiring that moron Pruitt are two separate chapters. The entire search was a mess but Schiano was a horrible fit and our fanbase was correct in its response. To hell with what outsiders think. I could care less. Hiring Jeremy Pruitt was Fulmer’s mistake.

How so? Between 1993-1997 Nebraska football was pretty darn good. I think they lost 3 games in Tom Osborne's last 5 seasons.

If Kentucky ends up settling for Mark Pope after chasing Calipari away? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

I mean, they won a lot. Now they don't win a lot. The comparison is pretty easy to make.

I mean, they won a lot. Now they don't win a lot. The comparison is pretty easy to make.
There is no comparison between what Kentucky basketball is now vs what Nebraska football is now. That is ridiculous. Kentucky basketball still does win a lot .... just not in the post-season. Nebraska football doesn't win, period.

2 questions:

How much head coach experience did Jon Scheyer have before taking over at Duke? How about Hubert Davis at UNC? Maybe you knew that Pope has head coaching experience and fared about as well as little BYU could be expected in the Big 12. IDK if Pope is the answer but going Schiano is more appropriate for Tennessee.

Kentucky fans are crazy but not dumb. The Schiano thing was dumb, which then turned UT into a national embarrassment, which
then gave us Fulmer, who was a bad athletic director, who then hired Cornbread, who was not just a lousy coach but a guy
who got us into trouble with the NCAA....all of which history will judge an absurd fiasco.
Opinion not oft found. 🤔
Schiano even being considered was joke. PM endorsing him was bowing to the good old boy bs of Haslam.
Please direct me to this mountain of embarrassment you have endured cuz I was proud as heck.

Read the UK boards, they honestly think Reed is coming back because he wants to win a NC. They’re delusional

2 questions:

How much head coach experience did Jon Scheyer have before taking over at Duke? How about Hubert Davis at UNC? Maybe you knew that Pope has head coaching experience and fared about as well as little BYU could be expected in the Big 12. IDK if Pope is the answer but going Schiano is more appropriate for Tennessee.

Both Scheyer and Hubert were assistants that knew the system of the team,and were put in place by the previous coaches. They had an idea of the coaching and recruiting style already. I hope things work out for Pope and you all. He's a good coach,but Kentucky won't deal with similar results he's had at BYU for too long.

Reactions: BowlBrother85
Both Scheyer and Hubert were assistants that knew the system of the team,and were put in place by the previous coaches. They had an idea of the coaching and recruiting style already. I hope things work out for Pope and you all. He's a good coach,but Kentucky won't deal with similar results he's had at BYU for too long.

Or at all.

Reactions: Pennheel
2 questions:

Scheyer and Davis were promoted from within. That's not an apples to apples comparison.

Both Scheyer and Hubert were assistants that knew the system of the team,and were put in place by the previous coaches. They had an idea of the coaching and recruiting style already. I hope things work out for Pope and you all. He's a good coach, but Kentucky won't deal with similar results he's had at BYU for too long.
Heel, ole buddy, you misspelled "I hope Tennessee beats you always." 😂 Stay focused.

It's definitely not a hire that I'm afraid of. It's not a high-profile hire that UK fans expect. But I'm not ready to call it a bad hire. Maybe they just struck oil. Maybe hiring Pearl would have been a disaster. We don't know how these things will shake out.

Reactions: Pennheel
Read the UK boards, they honestly think Reed is coming back because he wants to win a NC. They’re delusional
There’s a thread on Rupp Rafters with pages of posts from senior citizens saying they cried during Popes introductory speech. It’s kinda creepy.

Reactions: Sin City Vol
There’s a thread on Rupp Rafters with pages of posts from senior citizens saying they cried during Popes introductory speech. It’s kinda creepy.

Well, to be perfectly fair-I cried during Pruitts intro press conference also. Somewhere along the 167th "Aight", I realized we may have a problem.

Anyone wanting to get rid of Barnes for not making it to a Final Four… see this… If it can happen to Ky what do you think our outcome would be?

VN Store

Back