Can a coach with little orange and no Rocky Top succeed?

Just saw this, a little (or more) surprised.
Hope link works, if not I’ll try another way.

Whoever the social media person is for that account was not thinking straight when they posted that. Was, of course, supposed to be cute but my friend sent to me and was like “oh no does she not understand branding at a state university?”

Whoever the social media person is for that account was not thinking straight when they posted that. Was, of course, supposed to be cute but my friend sent to me and was like “oh no does she not understand branding at a state university?”
It got taken down really fast from the Lady Vols Xitter account and Smallvols' facebook link has disappeared as well. Sadly, there is probably a former UT social media intern swimming with the fishes in the Tennessee River.

I have heard that Danny White tolerates no mistakes.

Both CKC's answers reflected that she is not that familiar with the "LV tradition" but, that is one of her big selling points as well, she is free from that burden and brings new thinking.

In some ways, I am glad she is not pandering to the fan base by warbling out Rocky Top.

It got taken down really fast from the Lady Vols Xitter account and Smallvols' facebook link has disappeared as well. Sadly, there is probably a former UT social media intern swimming with the fishes in the Tennessee River.

Both CKC's answers reflected that she is not that familiar with the "LV tradition" but, that is one of her big selling points as well, she is free from that burden and brings new thinking.

In some ways, I am glad she is not pandering to the fan base by warbling out Rocky Top.
Yes! It’s both liberating and also adds fuel to whoever the weirdos were that were mad she didn’t wear orange. RIP poor intern who simply wanted to share a fun exchange.

I guess if you want to jump to conclusions, you could speculate that she made a mistake by coming here and doesnt appreciate it like an Orange Blood would.

OR

On the contrary, I would assume most people don't wear orange routinely unless their team has orange in the colors. I also think maybe she just doesn't want to sing in public. Not everyone does. Maybe she doesn't like how her voice sounds or maybe she cant carry a tune in a bucket. My brother doesn't sing ever because he is completely tone deaf.

Jeez. She's only been in town 20 minutes and some apparently think she should already have a closetful of nothing but Lady Vol/Tennessee gear????? And be prepared to song "Rocky Top" on stage at, what, The Grand Ol ' Opry???!

People just look for something to criticize for sport. These types of people are the ones I put on IGNORE on this board.

This also highlights the double-edged sword of having someone who is so young, confident, and authentic. We absolutely know who we are getting, but sometimes those answers might not be workshopped!

Jeez. She's only been in town 20 minutes and some apparently think she should already have a closetful of nothing but Lady Vol/Tennessee gear????? And be prepared to song "Rocky Top" on stage at, what, The Grand Ol ' Opry???!

People just look for something to criticize for sport. These types of people are the ones I put on IGNORE on this board.

Danny White absolutely blew it by not naming Dolly Parton as the new LV coach. Her version of Rocky Top is awesome and she owns a walk-in closet full of orange SEQUINED jackets and matching pants. Who could be more qualified than that???!!!! That was a no-brainer choice if their ever was one.

And no competing coach would ever try to grab of one Dolly's players through the portal.-- "MulKeey, MulKeeeey, Mulkeeeeeyeeeee, please don't try to steal my player....."

Just in case, I was just wondering how it struck people. So I posted it for feedback, after all, fans and perception do matter,

My thoughts,
Can understand the orange part, not a basic color many people have in their wardrobe; it is a hard color to wear. I thought wearing the blue jacket and orange necklace was a good look for her press conference.
Emphatically stating she will not ever sing Rocky Top is not a good decision. She is flying in the face of tradition and the fans. A qualifier of “I can’t sing”, “You don’t want to hear me sing”, etc. would be fine.

Still think if she had just said something to the effect she not a singer then so what, neither was Pat!

The fact it has been taken down seems to support my concerns. If UT had no concerns about it, it would not have been taken down. She’s in deep waters trying to meet very high expectations, just hoping she is around long enough to know every verse of Rocky Top, because that means she is successful!

I guess if you want to jump to conclusions, you could speculate that she made a mistake by coming here and doesnt appreciate it like an Orange Blood would.

OR

On the contrary, I would assume most people don't wear orange routinely unless their team has orange in the colors. I also think maybe she just doesn't want to sing in public. Not everyone does. Maybe she doesn't like how her voice sounds or maybe she cant carry a tune in a bucket. My brother doesn't sing ever because he is completely tone deaf.
Bad singing didn’t stop Pat! She couldn’t even find the tune bucket😂😂😂😂

Just in case, I was just wondering how it struck people. So I posted it for feedback, after all, fans and perception do matter,

My thoughts,
Can understand the orange part, not a basic color many people have in their wardrobe; it is a hard color to wear. I thought wearing the blue jacket and orange necklace was a good look for her press conference.
Emphatically stating she will not ever sing Rocky Top is not a good decision. She is flying in the face of tradition and the fans. A qualifier of “I can’t sing”, “You don’t want to hear me sing”, etc. would be fine.

Still think if she had just said something to the effect she not a singer then so what, neither was Pat!

The fact it has been taken down seems to support my concerns. If UT had no concerns about it, it would not have been taken down. She’s in deep waters trying to meet very high expectations, just hoping she is around long enough to know every verse of Rocky Top, because that means she is successful!
Smallvol,it’s always good to hear from you. I saw this and my reaction was similar to yours. Pat Summit was not a natural singer either, but I remember her singing “Rocky Top” while wearing a cheerleader outfit at a Vols game when Bruce Pearl was coach. Coach Caldwell created a faux pas on this one. One way to get the fans on your side is to embrace the culture. She unknowingly denigrated the Lady Vol culture. Probably will make many look askance at her efforts.
Smallvol,hope you and your family are doing well. GOD bless you all!

Coach Caldwell created a faux pas on this one. One way to get the fans on your side is to embrace the culture. She unknowingly denigrated the Lady Vol culture. Probably will make many look askance at her efforts.

Let's not make more of "rocky top-gate" than it is. If CKC lands an elite player in the portal no one will care. If she takes this team to a better than expected finish next season, no one will care. If things don't go well, she will have much bigger problems to worry about than a barely seen social media faux pas....

Benionsopinion, It your repost of my post is supposed to be a "gotcha" retort, you left out this part for some reason:

"Both CKC's answers reflected that she is not that familiar with the "LV tradition" but, that is one of her big selling points as well, she is free from that burden and brings new thinking. "

Smallvol,it’s always good to hear from you. I saw this and my reaction was similar to yours. Pat Summit was not a natural singer either, but I remember her singing “Rocky Top” while wearing a cheerleader outfit at a Vols game when Bruce Pearl was coach. Coach Caldwell created a faux pas on this one. One way to get the fans on your side is to embrace the culture. She unknowingly denigrated the Lady Vol culture. Probably will make many look askance at her efforts.
Smallvol,hope you and your family are doing well. GOD bless you all!
Yes, the only thing I ever knew Pat not to do well was sing😂😂😍!

In my opinion, it was a faux pas. Kim will be scrutinized under a microscope and will have to learn to think twice and factor in 73 possibilities in the split second before she responds to anything. At least Holly and Kellie had experienced that with Pat, Kim has been thrown in a whirlpool with little preparation. One of my worries is how other Vol program supporters respond to ANY missteps she will make. I remember so many hateful and derogatory posts about the Lady Vols when Hart was first here…until football started going downhill, and, oh!, how some attitudes did change. Kim needs all the support VN can provide, and we are known more for eating our own rather than supporting them. I am pulling for her 100%; I also realize she is facing a lot to reach (what some deem acceptable) success.

We are doing fine; I still pray for you and your wife in my daily prayers. God bless you too.

Let's not make more of "rocky top-gate" than it is. If CKC lands an elite player in the portal no one will care. If she takes this team to a better than expected finish next season, no one will care. If things don't go well, she will have much bigger problems to worry about than a barely seen social media faux pas....

Hope you’re right, Madtown. But I fear many more saw this than you might think. And it will be used ad infinitum in negative recruiting.

Benionsopinion, It your repost of my post is supposed to be a "gotcha" retort, you left out this part for some reason:

"Both CKC's answers reflected that she is not that familiar with the "LV tradition" but, that is one of her big selling points as well, she is free from that burden and brings new thinking. "
Madtown, I don’t think @Benionsopinion does gotcha; I think he is expressing a question on a topic which concerns him. I think the answer to his concern is she just didn’t stop to think before cutting a joke. It happens to all, especially in the younger years. When in areas where it matters one will learn quickly or else. I believe Kim is a very quick learner!

Hope you’re right, Madtown. But I fear many more saw this than you might think. And it will be used ad infinitude in negative recruiting.
I do see where you are coming from but, CKC not wanting to belt out Rocky Top seems like something that would be pretty low on recruits' priority lists. Interestingly, the supposed "problem" Kellie had with recruits is that she put too much emphasis on a legacy that 18 year olds and their families saw as being way less important than NIL packages, being national contenders, and having a system which would let them shine.

Honestly, if the biggest negative recruiting narrative about CKC is that she can't sing Rocky Top, I think all will be fine....

Madtown, I don’t think Ben does gotcha; I think he is expressing a question on a topic which concerns him. I think the answer to his concern is she just didn’t stop to think before cutting a joke. It happens to all, especially in the younger years. When in areas where it matters one will learn quickly or else. I believe Kim is a very quick learner!
This has happened to me before in a talk. I was asked a question, and things were going well so I made a casual and off the cuff remark that was not well received. Authenticity giveth, and authenticity taketh away. I still struggle to find the balance, and I hope she has good mentors who can help! Lord knows she’s under the microscope now.

VN Store

Back