California Secession

Yeah, but their citizens are currently paying state and federal taxes. If CA became its own nation, they can increase taxes substantially and solve their budget problems very quickly. Their citizens could be paying a lot less in taxes than US citizens, and still solve those problems quickly.

Lol

Wut

Yeah, but their citizens are currently paying state and federal taxes. If CA became its own nation, they can increase taxes substantially and solve their budget problems very quickly. Their citizens could be paying a lot less in taxes than US citizens, and still solve those problems quickly.

And absorb the cost for defense, infrastructure, immigration, their own state department and ext.

This is a question of individual liberty. The government is forcibly taking money from me and using it to kill people around the world.
What??? They took a bag of coins and beat somebody over the head with it? Or, did they set your paper money on fire, and use it to burn people at the stake?

California a bastion of financial freedom? That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard today. I would respect you more if you said you wanted to go there so you could smoke weed without fear of the popo.

And absorb the cost for defense, infrastructure, immigration, their own state department and ext.

Yeah. if they want US level defense, it will be a problem. They don't need that level of defense. Basically they need to watch their border, have a little navy, and air force, and that's it.

California a bastion of financial freedom? That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard today. I would respect you more if you said you wanted to go there so you could smoke weed without fear of the popo.

I assume you are talking to me? I don't know for sure because you didn't quote any of my posts and then you misrepresented my position.

I would respect you more if you could follow the conversation.

Yeah. if they want US level defense, it will be a problem. They don't need that level of defense. Basically they need to watch their border, have a little navy, and air force, and that's it.

If it ever came to this point, they would cease to be their own independent country............you know, after <insert whatever foreign country> comes to their doorstep "wanting to dance with yo dates".

Do you mean that there would be no CA national government? I think there certainly would be, but I meant that it wouldn't be like our federal government.

Our federal government started as a union of nations. Now we are not that. We are one nation and we are too big.

California would have a similar setup, I'm sure....but it would start as one nation, with a few states, but the point is this nation would be 1/6 the size of the US and the national government would likely have to be more responsive to the people. I can't see the nation of CA spending endless amounts of $ on war in the ME.

I assume you are talking to me? I don't know for sure because you didn't quote any of my posts and then you misrepresented my position.

I would respect you more if you could follow the conversation.

You seem to think that "the nation of California" would miraculously be very fiscally sound with respect to their citizens. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what point you are driving ITT.

If it ever came to this point, they would cease to be their own independent country............you know, after <insert whatever foreign country> comes to their doorstep "wanting to dance with yo dates".

Mexico would be taking their **** back the day the last federal troops left.

Just to be sure - no one here actually believes any state is going to secede, right?

None of them are willing to give up gettin takin care of by Uncle Sugar.

Reactions: 1 person

Hmmm....so what is stopping anybody from invading Mexico? Peru? Chile? Surely CA can muster better defense than them, and they are doing OK.

You seem to think that "the nation of California" would miraculously be very fiscally sound with respect to their citizens. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what point you are driving ITT.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying they could actually solve their budget problems rather easily. Not saying they will, but when comparing to the US, they have an incredible advantage. The US is f***ed no matter what.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying they could actually solve their budget problems rather easily. Not saying they will, but when comparing to the US, they have an incredible advantage. The US is f***ed no matter what.

The US could certainly solve budget problems in the same way that California could. Not sure what would suggest California is any more inclined to change fiscal policy than the Fed is, neither have shown any signs that they would or could.

The US could certainly solve budget problems in the same way that California could. Not sure what would suggest California is any more inclined to change fiscal policy than the Fed is, neither have shown any signs that they would or could.

I'm saying that their budget problems are molehills compared to ours. As I mentioned, they spend $100B per year. The US government spends $4T. 40 x more. The US is only 9 x bigger in population.

I'm saying that their budget problems are molehills compared to ours. As I mentioned, they spend $100B per year. The US government spends $4T. 40 x more. The US is only 9 x bigger in population.

I think that most are saying the reasons for are similar. Amounts per may vary but being skeptical that they would not solve this separate from the rest of the country is not a stretch.

This is as convoluted as you could possibly be when comparing the two IMO. You are taking a huge part of the budget out of consideration when you are comparing state to federal budgets.

VN Store

Back