Caleb Williams and Aaron Rodgers want equity in the team in their NFL contract.

SayUWantAreVOLution

This is pretty crazy. A "franchise" player actually getting a piece of the franchise in their contract. I can't see NFL owners going down that road.

Could there be a path to ownership? Sure. But asking for ownership before you step on the field as a pro is just stupid. What if he's a bust and out of the league in 5 years? Wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: Vol8188
Could there be a path to ownership? Sure. But asking for ownership before you step on the field as a pro is just stupid. What if he's a bust and out of the league in 5 years? Wouldn't be the first time.

I said something similar in another thread, but I would guess the owners are emailing each other right now agreeing that they will vote ASAP to eliminate all in kind negotiations with rookie contracts, if that doesn't already exist. They capped rookie contracts for a reason (nearly 15 years ago we had $70m guaranteed to Sam Bradford??? as I recall), and they're not going to let this fly.

If that becomes a trend for players, eventually the owner would negotiate control away like death by a thousand paper cuts until the "owner" no longer controls a majority of the equity.

Maybe a true shareholder franchise like Green Bay could issue some kind of non-convertible Preferred Stock since it's not voting but delivers dividends? I just don't see it though.

I said something similar in another thread, but I would guess the owners are emailing each other right now agreeing that they will vote ASAP to eliminate all in kind negotiations with rookie contracts, if that doesn't already exist. They capped rookie contracts for a reason (nearly 15 years ago we had $70m guaranteed to Sam Bradford??? as I recall), and they're not going to let this fly.
In the article referenced in the tweet, they bring up "collusion" if the owners prevent this without negotiating with the players union.

And I'm sorry to start a thread if there already was one. I tried to look but must have missed it.

Check out his total record against opponents. Not impressed at all. Now he's a mere mouthpiece.

Well, he doesn't play D and he played well in all his losses last year, they just gave up over 40 points in each of them. Admittedly, he wasn't great the last 2 weeks.

This isn’t allowed. Rodgers tried negotiating this with the Jets and the league stepped in and said no
Yeah, but the article talks about that it may not be legal for them to collude like that without negotiating with the union.

I predict lawyers make money sorting this out.

Ok? What does losing those games have to do with his pro potential or him wining the Heisman last season?
He choked vs Tulane and Utah but if you think he will be a good NFL QB thats your opinion..I don't ..agree to disagree..have a good day Go Vols...

VN Store

Back