Bye Week Observations...

Vols defense is among the worst in the SEC and has looked the part:crazy:

I agree with hubbs i think line backer play and crippled the dline primarily in terms of negative yardage plays. Which in turn hurts secondary yo a degree. Our lb corps in year 4 had only 3 really solid players jrm kirkland and sapp. Bitulli and one other guy his name escapes me are work in progress i think they missed on getting enough top talent here at lb to this point however you can make argument team as whole was so subpar that 4 years isnt enough to fix it all. Maybe now if we make it to atlanta will quiet alot of negative recruiting that butch cant win bigger games and we can go back like we did year 2 and really recruit elite players. Someone had composite star rating we were ranked 12th uga was 6th bama was 1. We still are not where we need to be in recruiting if we want be top 10 team every year and win games like bama etc

Reactions: 3 people
Its really discouraging teams like WVU all the sudden are playoff contenders because they play such an easy schedule. I mean they almost lost to BYU amd K state and they beat an unranked TCU team and people are starting to hype them up. They really only have Texas and Baylor left on their schedule. It just makes me wonder how TN would be perceived if we played a schedule like that.

If you think that's bad (and it is), look at Washington. The PAC is getting worse than the ACC in the Bobby Bowden days.

Along with a definition of targeting, a crown of the helmet definition would be great, too.

You'd think that would be easy enough - especially when you see white marks all over the top of a helmet. Anybody who thinks using the head as a battering ram should review the Chuckie Mullins story.

You'd think that would be easy enough - especially when you see white marks all over the top of a helmet. Anybody who thinks using the head as a battering ram should review the Chuckie Mullins story.

Now if we can get the refs to understand.

The big 12 will take care of itself. I'll be surprised if a big 12 team actually makes the playoff.

In the big 12's defense they don't have an overgrown conference, and everybody can play everybody every year. The rest are all little conferences (named divisions for propriety's sake) within a bloated conference who play a game at the end of the year with the pretense of crowning a real conference champ. The SEC can't even get it right because of counting cross division games in determining division winners.

I love how Saban talked about his team fighting adversity yesterday. Lmao. I wish we had that type of adversity to overcome. What were they down by, 1point maybe? Good grief, what a joke.....

Reactions: 1 person
South Carolina showed some signs of life yesterday. Should be a good game Saturday.

Bama may lose to Auburn. Maybe.

That Arkansas-Florida game looks a lot different now than it did a week ago.

Michigan is NOT the second best team in the country, but will be ranked there today.

Washington is legit for the first time in 20 years.

I'm wondering if Arkansas is beat up too; they looked pretty bad yesterday; thought the UF-ARK game would be a much closer competition but now I'm with you, not sure how they will match up.

Isn't the Washington coach the guy that was at Boise State so long? I knew he would be a great coach if he moved to the bigger college rank teams.

If Auburn keeps improving Auburn may very well give Bama all they can handle, and then some.

LSU beat Ole Miss but I wasn't impressed much; without Fornette they would be so-so; glad he's back though because Bama will have to key on him which should give opportunities for other guys.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem with the targeting rule is that there's no clear, universally accepted definition of targeting. If there were, then the officials in every conference would be better able to call it consistently instead of stumbling and fumbling all over themselves as to whether a hit fits the targeting violation rule or not. Some conferences have officials who seem to get it right most of the time while others have officials who get it wrong most of the time. It's almost laughable that the officials on the field, and the replay officials as well, are either unable or unwilling to flag a violation such as the one or more in the Alabama - A&M game that the millions of people watching the game on TV would tell you was a clear targeting violation.

I agree and to make it worse, those type hits automatically go for review who then ignore crown of helmets hitting face masks depending on the team. The Bama non calls yesterday were really glaring and bad. We have kids called when they use a shoulder too hard!! They have to take subjectivity out of it more than they have so far IMO.

Reactions: 3 people
Its really discouraging teams like WVU all the sudden are playoff contenders because they play such an easy schedule. I mean they almost lost to BYU amd K state and they beat an unranked TCU team and people are starting to hype them up. They really only have Texas and Baylor left on their schedule. It just makes me wonder how TN would be perceived if we played a schedule like that.

They may be getting hype but they won't get in. The playoff system is corrupt and the cash cows will be given the benefit of the doubt.

I love how Saban talked about his team fighting adversity yesterday. Lmao. I wish we had that type of adversity to overcome. What were they down by, 1point maybe? Good grief, what a joke.....

Well they did have two 3 and outs.

Reactions: 2 people

They play Oklahoma St. this weekend. Should be a good game.

I'm wondering if Arkansas is beat up too; they looked pretty bad yesterday; thought the UF-ARK game would be a much closer competition but now I'm with you, not sure how they will match up.

Arky is a good football team. Check this
Lost to aTm
Beat alcorn st
Lost to alabama
Beat ole miss
Got humuliated by Auburn (basically 4th tough game in row)

And TN. Is TN a good football team?
Beat gators
Beat ga
Lost to aTm
Got humuliated by Bama (lastgame in emotional & physical stretch)

Im not happy about our lethargic 1st halves & undisciplined play. But arky example should make people see that teams just get wore down. Bama game performance is least of my worries.

Arky is physical. Hopefully there pist & take it out on florida @ home

Reactions: 2 people
Is it just me or is the Ric Flair quote the most over used saying on Volnation
Simply identifies the poster with the vernacular. Don't worry. Prepubescent middle-agers can't respond to what they don't understand.:crazy:

Let's go Independent and schedule Sisters of the Poor every week. We can be like Ohio State and have 2-3 quality games all year and the rest will be local High School teams.

bye week observations

There wasn't many competitive games this past week except tOsu/PSU.

Our Tennessee team is good, but the schedule and the games have been brutal as far injuries go. Would love to play Bama with a healthy O-line and defense. Our offense will always leave Dobbs open for a blindside strip sack that will be returned for a TD

I think this Alabama team is Saban's best. And I'm not saying this because they beat a pretty good A&M team, but they just haven't played down to anyone or really given another team much hope.

The SEC East is terrible, but the SEC West is incredible

My top 4 playoff teams would be Bama, Michigan, Clemson, & Washington. It's great seeing the Huskies good again.

Charlie Strong is probably gonna get fired if much more goes wrong down there.

Butch needs to improve his record versus Muschamp. Carolina isn't nearly as good as UT but they'll look like it for 3 quarters, that's more of a prediction not a observation.

Florida sucks

Not really much to observe this season except for that freight train in Toothlessoosa. Clemson could beat Bama but I think they'll slip up before they get a rematch, Michigan would look like Northwestern or Iowa did vs Tennessee in those bowl games.

This is the first year I am enjoying the NFL more than NCAA and that's a damn shame considering we finally beat Florida and have our best team since 2006

VN Store

Back