Butch Needs 6-6 This Year...

ESPN still has us in a bowl game.

Outside of luck, I just don't see that happening at this point. At the beginning of the season I thought we'd at least go 6-6, but now I think 5-7 is where we finish.

Agree. If they can make a bowl everyone will be able to see progress and have something to feel good about. If they go 5-7 again, a significant part of the fanbase and the media will consider Butch to be coaching for his job next year.

Reactions: 1 person
In retrospect, I wish they had given Fulmer 2 million dollars to go hire the best offensive cooordinator in America after Cutcliffle left for the second time in 2007. It would have saved his job, saved the university a truck load of money, and saved us all a lot of losing and heartache. As it stood though, Fulmer was on a trajectory to take us to exactly where we are now. He was getting annihilated by the SEC's best at the end.

But almost 100% of "those guys" are freshmen. Think about that
We can't think about that. To some it shouldn't matter. Half the roster is his, never mind that most have never played college ball. CBJ should be a miracle worker and should've been playing in the SECCG by now

A disgruntled fan base is why we are in this 6 year slump.. only a spoiled disgruntled fan base would scream for their coach's head a year after winning the East.. how far are we away from ever doing that again? I know.. I know.. 2 years right?

You people cannot be serious . . . so the fan base is why we have sucked for so long?

In retrospect, I wish they had given Fulmer 2 million dollars to go hire the best offensive cooordinator in America after Cutcliffle left for the second time in 2007. It would have saved his job, saved the university a truck load of money, and saved us all a lot of losing and heartache. As it stood though, Fulmer was on a trajectory to take us to exactly where we are now. He was getting annihilated by the SEC's best at the end.
I remember the endless debates about whether Fulmer would ever hire anyone who might legitimately have a shot at taking his job. Also, there were the rumours about Chief causing discord if an OC got paid more than him.

Let's remember, for a while thanks to the defense we were hanging with a team that beat A&M and Bama, and Bama just shut down A&M and beat the hell out of them. After Bama, I actually am excited about the rest of our schedule. 6-6 is a very real possibility.

...in the worst way.

If he can lead us to 6-6, it might prove to the impatient masses that this staff can actually coach through adversity. Accomplishing this with a a severely hamstrung offense would speak volumes on the staff's coaching ability. I know I would feel a little more comfortable.
Agree or disagree?

Should have went to a bowl last year. Sr OL and two weeks to prepare for Vandy, chance to show the world that Tn is rising, and laid an egg. Biggest chance this year to get to a bowl was beating Fla, the school everyone now beats.

ESPN still has us in a bowl game.

I thought ESPN hated TN? Most of this roster is Butch's guys, signed 56 of 85. But, everyone knew the OL would have growing pains, can't throw a magic wand over their heads and make them two years older. The disappointment in the OL is that they seem to be getting worse, not better.

Coach through adversity? This is a roster/talent issue. We have interior linemen playing tackle. On top of that, they're young and not as prepared physically as most of the linemen they face every Saturday. No depth at RB either. It's like raising Lombardi and giving him maryville high school and telling him he should coach them through adversity and into a bowl game in the SEC. We didn't get to this point in 1.5 years and we sure as heck aren't getting out of it in 1.5 years. You can't recruit away line problems like you can with WRs. They take time. It's like planting a garden and expecting to go pick veggies the next day.

It begins up front. You can't "scheme" your way out of deficiencies there for very long especially at this level. No matter how loudly fans cry about the situation, it's not possible to change where we are right now.

...in the worst way.

If he can lead us to 6-6, it might prove to the impatient masses that this staff can actually coach through adversity. Accomplishing this with a a severely hamstrung offense would speak volumes on the staff's coaching ability. I know I would feel a little more comfortable.
Agree or disagree?

i agree doyle. that being said I think we finish with 4 or 5 wins though. the offense is the worst I have ever seen. that is on jones

This team can get to 6-6. You guys are giving too much credit to Mizzou and SC. Both those games are winnable. Its Kentucky that I'm worried about, regardless of how they looked on Saturday.

If Hart told Butch 4 to 5 years then he needs to be fired on the spot. This program has been down for ten years. Really no elite team since 2001. Its time to turn this around fast before we turn into Colorado.

This team can get to 6-6. You guys are giving too much credit to Mizzou and SC. Both those games are winnable. Its Kentucky that I'm worried about, regardless of how they looked on Saturday.

Everyone on here agrees tn had, has, will forever have more talent than Ky yet they are already one win away from a bowl in year two. They play as many freshmen as Tn does. Hart has to take some of the blame with scheduling. For now, do 4 cupcakes.

Agree. If they can make a bowl everyone will be able to see progress and have something to feel good about. If they go 5-7 again, a significant part of the fanbase and the media will consider Butch to be coaching for his job next year.

Maybe that's what Butch needs, is some pressure..

No. I disagree. I mean no disrespect to anyone but this offense sucks! The QB is below average at best. O-line is the worst in FBS. Hurd is the only RB that is playing well but when you get hit as soon as you have the ball it doesn't matter how good he is. WR's cant get any separation. This team will overachieve if it wins 6 games. Next year will be the same. Look at the schedule for next year- UAB, WC, NT, Vandy and I think KY will be only sure wins. That leaves us looking for that 6th win again. 2016-2017 season is when we can expect to be 8+ win team. Until then I just want to keep seeing talented recruiting classes and the development of the young talent.

Agree, he's running out of time, but it's necessary.

He now has over half a roster of "his guys."

Butch is FAR from running out of time. He has until the end of 2016 at a minimum to get things turned around, as he should. 6-6 is still possible and considering I spoke to several hundred people prior to the kickoff of this season and they were 90% in agreement that 6-6 was our probable outcome this year he is right on pace. Sure, I hate losing as much as anybody but you have to give him time to get players. Now if he goes 4-8 this year the public will turn a bit but not the Administration. Thank God for that too, as a change in the Head Coaching position next year would completely destroy this program.

...in the worst way.

Agree or disagree?

I just don't see it. I never thought this team would get 6 wins. After UF I thought we might possibly sneak out a win or 2 we shouldn't because of our defense. After the Ole Miss game, I no longer believe that. The only thing that might help us play better is Worley getting hurt. I hate it for him, but it could be the break coach Jones needed.

I think next year it is critical that he gets a win or 2 that he shouldn't get, but only from a recruiting standpoint. When this year's freshman are seniors, I believe that is the first year any of us can truly evaluate this coaching staff.

I still say if we beat Florida I could have stomached another 5-7, but 6-6 is the threshold to show improvement.

What Butch NEEDS is another top 5 recruiting class this year. This year is a write off as far as wins and losses. I don't like it. I had higher hopes than 5-7 possibly worse, but that recruiting class is key. If he can lose and still recruit this year, he will have secured the 2015 2016 and 2017 seasons. Recruiting will take a hit next year for this years poor record as some recruits start to wonder if he is all talk. If 2015 is a 7 win season, the recruits still answer his phone call. Anything less than that and we start getting Dooley type recruiting classes.

If this coaching staff is any good, they should get to 6-6.

But if they were any good, they also should've beaten Florida.

Never has a single game so crushed my hopes about a coaching staff (2011 Kentucky, maybe).

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back