Butch "Lays down the hammer on reporting"

He's going to look kinda foolish if north does in fact end up missing a bunch of time due to this injury

No, I don't think he would. This injury happened when he was running a route. The reason Jones is pissed is because of all the unwarranted attention it garnered. Just a dumb, pointless distraction. Time is too valuable to waste right now.

Reactions: 7 people
He's going to look kinda foolish if north does in fact end up missing a bunch of time due to this injury

No what was foolish is for a reporter to say feared lost for the year when they hadn't even examined him yet. Now that he HAS been examined and told he would be fine in a week or less they released the info. I guess your banking on the doctors having it wrong and then blaming it on Jones then for giving you a report that everyone is clamoring for to begin with, good grief. GO VOLS!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Another situation like this and I can see our policy changing to "We don't comment on player injuries." A lot of Pac-12 schools have this policy-- Oregon, USC, Stanford and Washington, to name a few. If Butch wants to tighten things up, he could request that media not report on injuries observed during open practices and ban anyone disrespecting his wishes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a move in this direction, given his interview today.

Reactions: 1 person
No, I don't think he would. This injury happened when he was running a route. The reason Jones is pissed is because of all the unwarranted attention it garnered. Just a dumb, pointless distraction. Time is too valuable to waste right now.

I certainly agree. Just saying in that particular post butch doesn't say...the reports were wrong and player is fine.

when you start discussing the health of an individual without their consent you now have a HIPPA problem. I think the "we don't comment on injuries" is the route for all coaches to take. Frankly its none of our business. As a matter of fact I think reporting on teams has gotten way too involved in the last several years but there are people making a lot of money on it.

when you start discussing the health of an individual without their consent you now have a HIPPA problem. I think the "we don't comment on injuries" is the route for all coaches to take. Frankly its none of our business. As a matter of fact I think reporting on teams has gotten way too involved in the last several years but there are people making a lot of money on it.

HIPPA only applies to what they refer to as "covered entities". It isn't a violation for others to comment on health.

Attacking the media as a head coach never seems to end well. Usually comes off as whining and hypocritical. It's a lose/lose situation, even in this case.

Eh, or he looks like he's defending and fighting for his players. Plays well with current guys, recruits, and parents.

Not exactly lose/lose.

Reactions: 2 people
Attacking the media as a head coach never seems to end well. Usually comes off as whining and hypocritical. It's a lose/lose situation, even in this case.

Much less so when the media has reported misinformation. I would be willing to bet that the members of the media who cover UT sports (especially the ones that ran with this report) and are guided by the principles of journalism are aggravated with Brad Matthews at the moment - not Butch Jones.

Brad Matthews has posted an update with an apology for using the phrase, "feared lost for the season"... basically admitting that it was an unconfirmed sensational headline.

Yep. Or he can play everything close to the vest and deal with the speculation...If the spotlight is too bright I'm sure that there are smaller schools that are hiring.

So should he send them our game plan as well? Let them prepare for us and figure out who's hurt and who's not.

Sorry, but Jones is being stupid. There was NO North "report"--there was an idiotic internet rumor that was based on nothing. It's unfortunate, but that's the way the internet functions a lot of the time--idiotically.

Jones earlier this week made a dumb comment about injuries, saying that (actual) reports on injuries were not respectful to the players. That's crazy, and proves that Jones is just another coach who is clueless about the media. There is nothing "disrespectful" about reporting on actual injuries--that a guy has a ankle or knee sprain or bruised ribs or whatever. Where comes this idea that if you report that a guy has a sprained shoulder you are violating his "privacy." UT is a public university, the players are individuals in whom there is a public interest--a strong public interest.

Has it occurred to the coaches--in all sports, not to mention the sports information department--that if the the athletic department actually //provided information on injuries//, instead of hewing to their silly hush-hush routine, that there would be no internet rumors and speculation? You want to stop the North rumors, then tell the public he's got a knee sprain or whatever and the rumors stop--and there is no privacy issue. If your friend comes hobbling into your house one day on crutches, I'm pretty sure you and everyone else would ask what his injury is, and I'm quite sure he'd tell you and everyone else and not think much about his "privacy."

To be sure, certain issues require discretion and privacy--an addiction issue, a psychological issue--but the vast major of sports injuries are the same sports injuries that players have gotten, and that have been reported, for ages with nary a problem. I'm not sure if it is the Hipaa law that is absurd--or, more likely, the way colleges have decided to interpret it. But I fail to see how reporting that a sports player has, say, a hyperextended elbow is a big deal or a privacy issue of any kind. It's gotten ridiculous.

Also, nobody "lays down the hammer." That is stupid phrasing. I think the phrase is "brings down the hammer." Another feckless internet reporter?

Sorry, but Jones is being stupid. There was NO North "report"--there was an idiotic internet rumor that was based on nothing. It's unfortunate, but that's the way the internet functions a lot of the time--idiotically.

Jones earlier this week made a dumb comment about injuries, saying that (actual) reports on injuries were not respectful to the players. That's crazy, and proves that Jones is just another coach who is clueless about the media. There is nothing "disrespectful" about reporting on actual injuries--that a guy has a ankle or knee sprain or bruised ribs or whatever. Where comes this idea that if you report that a guy has a sprained shoulder you are violating his "privacy." UT is a public university, the players are individuals in whom there is a public interest--a strong public interest.

Has it occurred to the coaches--in all sports, not to mention the sports information department--that if the the athletic department actually //provided information on injuries//, instead of hewing to their silly hush-hush routine, that there would be no internet rumors and speculation? You want to stop the North rumors, then tell the public he's got a knee sprain or whatever and the rumors stop--and there is no privacy issue. If your friend comes hobbling into your house one day on crutches, I'm pretty sure you and everyone else would ask what his injury is, and I'm quite sure he'd tell you and everyone else and not think much about his "privacy."

To be sure, certain issues require discretion and privacy--an addiction issue, a psychological issue--but the vast major of sports injuries are the same sports injuries that players have gotten, and that have been reported, for ages with nary a problem. I'm not sure if it is the Hipaa law that is absurd--or, more likely, the way colleges have decided to interpret it. But I fail to see how reporting that a sports player has, say, a hyperextended elbow is a big deal or a privacy issue of any kind. It's gotten ridiculous.
I would rather have him worried about his players and winning ball games , instead of worrying about his media skills, no? Or you must think otherwise.

Reactions: 3 people

The problem is media reporting someone's injury before its even confirmed. And your right it has gotten ridiculous. The media has blown all this injury stuff way outta proportion. We have one significant injury from training camp. One. I would guarantee that if we were playing a game probably almost everyone that has been held out would play. I think that's why Butch is mad because he his holding people out so they won't get a significant injury and the media is spinning it the wrong way

Sports journalism is just a fraction of journalism in general with the latter experiencing a lack of credibility x 100 over sports journalism (and I don't care if you prefer mainstream or Fox)

News in many respects now equals opinion - or - an attempt to garner viewers, "clicks" or count for advertising purposes.

Many "reporters" are attempting to get a better gig and as such are willing to jump-the-gun, offer fact-strained opinions or right out lie to get their mug on a bigger and bigger venue.

.....then coaches have to call a player's parent and defuse an emotional bomb conveniently put in place by a "journalist".

How do the poor coaches make it with all those mean old journalists out to get them? Must be horrible

A couple of things..

1.) I think what Jones is getting at is that he doesn't want injury rumors/misinformation getting out before they've had a chance to confirm anything and relay that information to the player and his parents. While the rumor was started by a nobody, just look at how quickly the rumor spread and was picked up by local media outlets. Also the reason they had yet to report anything official on North is probably because they didn't yet know the extent of the injury. Once they received official confirmation then Jones was comfortable to make the announcement that the injury was minor and that North would be back in a few days.

2.) During the season, you don't want to make injury information so readily available to your opponents to give them any kind of advantage in game prep. For example, last year when Worley hurt his shoulder, Jones didn't want the news getting out because he didn't want the other team to start preparing for Dobbs.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back