Butch just said Worley will start

Please explain how he went with the safe choice??

k-town is very unlikely to admit it but Jones explained fully why he believes JW to be the "safe" (aka "best") choice. He's the most consistent. He's shown the most leadership and is the best game manager. He's the best decision maker under pressure.... and Jones obviously feels he has sufficient physical talent to get the job done.

Jones didn't say it until now but some of us have been telling this board for MONTHS that all signs pointed toward Worley being the starter. You don't give a guy the starter's reps if he isn't leading to be the starter. Some just refused to see it apparently out of some disdain for Worley.

I get what you are saying, but Bray seemed to have no trouble with the old line. Wonder what Worley really meant by that? Does that mean they didn't listen to Jones either? Weird comment.

I've thought for awhile now that Jones may have been coaching two teams last year. The one he had to accept as it was and the one he knew would be coming back and needed to be reshaped. IMHO, he played several seniors last year that would have been replaced this year or in coming years both for performance and attitude. For instance, I don't think we'll see the same jumbo DT getting pushed into AJ's lap over and over going forward. Someone else will play. We won't hear Jones complaining about OL's not finishing blocks for weeks on end without seeing new OL's in the line up.

I am about 90% confident that Jones let last year's seniors have "their" team while he coached his for the future. It is the only way I can make sense of some of the personnel and coaching decisions compared to how they seem to be making those decisions now.

Reactions: 2 people
Please help me remember the last subpar starting QB who emerged into an all conference level player his senior year. If Worley had been the #2 for a the past season or two and had some so-so relief performances then I think the wait and see attitude would be pervasive but that's not the case. A lot of us feel like we've seen enough of Worley to know exactly what he's got and we'd rather roll the dice with an erratic, unproven QB who still has a significant potential for improvement. This season's not going to meet fan expectations and it won't all be the QB's fault and there's no accountability for the 2014 record so it really doesn't matter who they start I suppose. I'd just like to have a reason to be excited about Vol football this year.

Please help me remember the last subpar starting QB who emerged into an all conference level player his senior year. If Worley had been the #2 for a the past season or two and had some so-so relief performances then I think the wait and see attitude would be pervasive but that's not the case. A lot of us feel like we've seen enough of Worley to know exactly what he's got and we'd rather roll the dice with an erratic, unproven QB who still has a significant potential for improvement. This season's not going to meet fan expectations and it won't all be the QB's fault and there's no accountability for the 2014 record so it really doesn't matter who they start I suppose. I'd just like to have a reason to be excited about Vol football this year.

Uh...does the name Johnathan Crompton ring any bells??

It really has been a while since you watched a Tennessee game, hasn't it?

Reactions: 3 people
Hope Worley can be a "game manager" and not turn it over with INT's or TO. IF....IF he can dink and dunk his way with the occasionally deep bomb or slant to the WR's AND get a decent running game spread the ball with 4 WR and Hurd/Lane.

Hope he can put up stats such as pass for 2,300 yards throw 15 TD and 8 INTs we be GOOD

And hopefully he won't hit the receivers ankles when he throws the football - or behind them - or, well you get the point.

Reactions: 1 person
k-town is very unlikely to admit it but Jones explained fully why he believes JW to be the "safe" (aka "best") choice. He's the most consistent. He's shown the most leadership and is the best game manager. He's the best decision maker under pressure.... and Jones obviously feels he has sufficient physical talent to get the job done.

Jones didn't say it until now but some of us have been telling this board for MONTHS that all signs pointed toward Worley being the starter. You don't give a guy the starter's reps if he isn't leading to be the starter. Some just refused to see it apparently out of some disdain for Worley.

That is what I mean by safe. More consistent. Will make less mistakes. I hope he does well. I have been saying I will support whomever Jones thinks should start. I will go with what Butch thinks is best.

Trust me, Worley wasn't great last year, but look at the WR's he was throwing to. With the better WR group this year, it could really help Worley.

Jones doesn't run a read option O. His O is a hybrid spread O with west coast elements to it. It is probably more similar to Dave Clawsen's ideal than Urban Meyer's. He has frequently said he wants his QB to pull it a couple of times per game just to keep the D honest but he does NOT need a running QB. He wants playmakers and a QB that gets them the ball.

A QB with mobility is often a good thing... if they can learn that they are not the first or second option.

He has said... ad nauseum that he first and foremost wants someone who manages the offense. I can't really blame you for missing or ignoring it though... a large contingent of UT fans who post here keep acting as they're oblivious to his statements though we've pointed them out many times.

This^...lot of. "experts" on here are very proficient in telling BUTCH what he needs in a QB...looking at his run as a HC, I never see this prototypical DT type QB utilized in his offense...between Legaux and Kay, the team ran better under the much less athletic Kay...who still produced significant yards with his legs. This is Butch's first run in the big time...success isn't set in stone....let him achieve or fail on his own accord.

I am about 90% confident that Jones let last year's seniors have "their" team while he coached his for the future. It is the only way I can make sense of some of the personnel and coaching decisions compared to how they seem to be making those decisions now.
I have to disagree with this, although I would like to hear you elaborate on the personnel and coaching decisions. I just don't believe Butch Jones has or will ever just "let seniors have their team" as you put it. He is way too controlling and intense to be that passive, especially in the first year at his career defining job.

Reactions: 2 people
I have to disagree with this, although I would like to hear you elaborate on the personnel and coaching decisions. I just don't believe Butch Jones has or will ever just "let seniors have their team" as you put it. He is way too controlling and intense to be that passive, especially in the first year at his career defining job.

I didn't mean to intend that he wasn't in control only that he had two different purposes.

One of the decisions was to continue to play Hood and McCullers inside then this year go about 20 lbs lighter and much quicker. Why? Miller and Walls has already played under Wilcox as effective 4-3 DT's.

The other big one was the OL. I think most of us agree they were never as good as advertised. Jones complained numerous times that they didn't finish blocks. I DO NOT think that's something he would normally tolerate. But he also knew some of those guys were playing for an opportunity at the NFL and long term that could help the program. So instead of benching a guy like Bullard and maybe even Stone to play for the future... he developed Crowder, Jackson, Kerbyson, etc in the background while letting the Srs play out.

All of the other ways I can think of for reasons he let some of those guys play so poorly... reflect badly on him and his staff.

Last edited:
Two weeks from kickoff, with a gang of young talent ready to raise hell, and you aren't excited for Vol football!?

With nobody to get the ball in their hands, no returning starters on either line, a tough schedule, most informed commentators predicting that it will be very difficult for us to even reach bowl eligibility, and the fact that we could go 0-12 and there won't be any changes in the AD or on the staff...nope. Not really excited about the Vols at all. Maybe next year.

With nobody to get the ball in their hands, no returning starters on either line, a tough schedule, most informed commentators predicting that it will be very difficult for us to even reach bowl eligibility, and the fact that we could go 0-12 and there won't be any changes in the AD or on the staff...nope. Not really excited about the Vols at all. Maybe next year.

Both lines will be better then last year. Worley is a solid QB and if he improves from last year, will be more then serviceable, top 4 QB in SEC. Speed all over the field. Loaded at the skill positions. Going to beat UF and OU and win at least 7 games. I'll call that a pretty good year considering the last few.

Both lines will be better then last year. Worley is a solid QB and if he improves from last year, will be more then serviceable, top 4 QB in SEC. Speed all over the field. Loaded at the skill positions. Going to beat UF and OU and win at least 7 games. I'll call that a pretty good year considering the last few.

Except the only true fact in your post is the point about team speed. Like they say, poop in one hand and hope in the other and let me know which one fills up first.

Except the only true fact in your post is the point about team speed. Like they say, poop in one hand and hope in the other and let me know which one fills up first.

Those homespun witticisms have saved you from more than one jailhouse rape I'd wager. :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back