Butch Jones sitting with the Student Section

We have had some really awesome personalities roll through Knoxville the last 10 years. Too bad the student section at TBA is at a less than desirable location compared to what I've seen today and over that last few years in college basketball. Hell, even Vandy's student section at Memorial is at midcourt and up close and personal. Its damn near like our student section is in the broom closet, behind the rims, on a scaffold.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch. you can't be going to BB games...This is the last Weekend before NSD and you have a OC to hire. Back to work young man. :D

Butch. you can't be going to BB games...This is the last Weekend before NSD and you have a OC to hire. Back to work young man. :D

a major top prospect was with him at that game -- also the OC probably has already been hired just not announced yet

Got mixed emotions on this...on one hand I think it is great to see our head football coach relate so well with kids...on the other hand I wonder how you get the total respect from players when you act like one of them. Guess I'm old school but I don't think Saban or the OBC or Pinkel or the old man at Kansa State do this kind of stuff or hang out with future players flashing finger signs...whatever he is doing seems to be working and some coaches can do this and still be respected by their players...Butch seems to be one who can.

Got mixed emotions on this...on one hand I think it is great to see our head football coach relate so well with kids...on the other hand I wonder how you get the total respect from players when you act like one of them. Guess I'm old school but I don't think Saban or the OBC or Pinkel or the old man at Kansa State do this kind of stuff or hang out with future players flashing finger signs...whatever he is doing seems to be working and some coaches can do this and still be respected by their players...Butch seems to be one who can.

Yea well the last time I checked, the KIDS are what we're recruiting!

Daloth is in there somewhere lol

I'll gladly show my face to show off a selfie with Butch. I tweeted it and gained about 20 follows in 5 minutes. There's a few pics on the facebook that have me and others looking very... not photogenic.

He was 2 feet from me the entire time. The best part is, he didn't want to leave before half time. They legitimately had to drag him away from the students, because he didn't want to leave.

10155446_771090086279628_2886898563031782121_n.png

Reactions: 15 people
Yea well the last time I checked, the KIDS are what we're recruiting!

No joke...of course we are...but my point is are you going to be able to kick tail when you need to if the "kids" think you are one of them. I've just never seen a coach in a pic flashing "finger signs" with the recruits. As I said in my post a few coaches can do it and still maintain the role of an authoritarian figure...Butch may well be one of those that can.

CBJ knows how to get the kids exited, recruits and fans alike. He truly seems to love what he does too, it's refreshing.

You need to lighten up... these are kids. Hell, I wouldn't care if they were 50 years old. What's the matter with cheering for UT and having some fun at a game? Or is Butch supposed to mean-mug throughout a recruit's entire visit? You act like the majority of blue-hairs that normally just sit at the games, anyway... makes Neyland a mausoleum instead of a rowdy stadium. I could see if Butch was passing around a doobie in the student section or they were going out egging houses at night, but I mean, really? This is about as innocent of a thing an adult can do with a young adult.

I pity such a miserable person.

Reactions: 3 people
No joke...of course we are...but my point is are you going to be able to kick tail when you need to if the "kids" think you are one of them. I've just never seen a coach in a pic flashing "finger signs" with the recruits. As I said in my post a few coaches can do it and still maintain the role of an authoritarian figure...Butch may well be one of those that can.

Did you never have fun with your daddy?

Reactions: 2 people
Did you never have fun with your daddy?

I agree 100%. I respect a leader that has ability to act as he wants. Not to be the father that is always the hard way or teacher that is always pushing from a negative standpoint. Sometimes you want to have fun. We have all seen the chewing backsides Butch does with bullhorn at practice, or the blood red faces from yelling at refs. But we have seen him be classy with the Alex Ellis scholarship gift and now this of him having fun. Well rounded father figure would be appealing to me as a player.

I remember the last coach that "got it" like this....

Hope Butch doesn't have any cookouts!

Fortunately, soon after Bruce was busted for said "cookout violation", the NCAA rule was changed and it's no longer impermissible. CBJ is free to grill away with impunity.

VN Store

Back