Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

Tennessee didn't lose games that year for a lack of talent. Should have beaten both Oklahoma and Florida. Also had a late lead vs Alabama and an early 14 point lead vs Arkansas. The talent was there to do something special... the game management was not.

The fact is we lost those games

All Tennessee fans have to cling to as far as 2018 goes is the narrative that recent failure is 100% on Jones and we actually have awesome talent if properly coached. We should know before the end of September about the accuracy of that assessment. Snatch up those ticket packages!

Got to love when someone goes anonymous and throws shade at people.

Who says the coach in question went anonymous?

He may have said "Print it. I stand by my comments, and don't give a rip who doesn't like it?"

Hasn't the "anonymous coach comments" section of the mag been going on for 15-20 years now?

I'm sure it's more the magazine's policy, in an effort to get better dirt, and prefaced with "Hey coach, we're not going to print your name, but can you give us your take on the dumpster fire that was Butch Jones."

That's more believable that an opposing coach being scared of offending Butch Jones.

All Tennessee fans have to cling to as far as 2018 goes is the narrative that recent failure is 100% on Jones and we actually have awesome talent if properly coached. We should know before the end of September about the accuracy of that assessment. Snatch up those ticket packages!

I think we have talent in certain spots but not on the same level as upper echelon SEC teams and certainly not the depth/talent on the LOS on either side of the ball.

Oh how the mighty have fallen! $3.5M to $35k as saban's water boy. Just to fulfill the employment clause in his by out.

Go back 9 months from today and 90% of VN would be railing on this coach and defending Jones.

If Butch would have done an adequate job last year we are not having this conversation. It is a two way street.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Butch looked a lot better against the backdrop of Dooley. I was castigated several times on this forum for pointing out that Dooley was not the standard UT success is measured by.

Butch's early recruiting success was distorted by the huge # of legacy players and because he signed such large classes. Much turned out to be wasted scholarships.

Go back 9 months from today and 90% of VN would be railing on this coach and defending Jones.

I might give you 50% but 90% is too high. He lost a lot of confidence from the fan base after blowing the SEC East with losses to South Carolina and the very embarrassing performance vs Vanderbilt.

I might give you 50% but 90% is too high. He lost a lot of confidence from the fan base after blowing the SEC East with losses to South Carolina and the very embarrassing performance vs Vanderbilt.

The numbers are subjective but believe support was much higher than 50 percent for him entering 2017.

My guess is Vanderbilt's head coach. They totally dominated us the last two years, and love to talk smack.

We have no idea if any SEC coach said any of this. I mean NO idea! These writers can pull anything outta their ar$e if they so choose, then claim journalistic source protection if pressed. They have a definite financial interest in a salty quote to sell mags. The coach has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by trusting this writer to allegedly not out his identity

There is no solid reason to believe a word of this whatsoever. That being said, I agree with what he claims was said.

Lindy's always has a "quote from an opposing coach" at the end of each team's write up. It's usually some generalized nonsense about how player X's shoes will be tough to fill; or the team has talent, but the schedule is tough. I don't remember one this blistering about an outgoing coach.

Lindy's always has a "quote from an opposing coach" at the end of each team's write up. It's usually some generalized nonsense about how player X's shoes will be tough to fill; or the team has talent, but the schedule is tough. I don't remember one this blistering about an outgoing coach.

Correct, and they never cite the source.

How could he? He is not adequate to perform a HC job in the SEC.

He annihilated our S&C, thus the results.

Thought you were kind of playing the what if game with your previous post. Misunderstood on my end.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt this writer invented a coach's comments for his article. Nor is it hard to believe that another sec coach could make this assessment. To the contrary, it is very fair. It was a combo of over-rated recruits overall and extremely poor development of the ones who had skills.

Some of us are still in denial of what we saw last season, which was a team unable to win a single sec game and lost convincingly to Vandy on our home field. This wasn't a mirage, no fake news. We were horrible and only with a healthy dose of new arrivals in the next recruiting cycle will we begin to make progress. We might win 6 games in the upcoming season and that will be attributed mainly to new schemes, new coaches, and better conditioned and motivated players because of it.

Last edited:
Class rankings are class rankings. Could they have been overrated? No doubt, but not by a huge amount. Maybe instead of 15 they are 20-22 but not 50.

A class ranking of 20 should still end up with 8-9 wins a year, not 2. The coaching and development stunk.

And I think Pruitt totally knows what it takes to be a successful big-time coach. He worked under a guy who is probably the best college coach ever.

Class rankings are class rankings. Could they have been overrated? No doubt, but not by a huge amount. Maybe instead of 15 they are 20-22 but not 50.

A class ranking of 20 should still end up with 8-9 wins a year, not 2. The coaching and development stunk.

And I think Pruitt totally knows what it takes to be a successful big-time coach. He worked under a guy who is probably the best college coach ever.

Whoops - I meant 4 wins not 2.

Really tough to narrow it down on who the coach could be.

So many have made Jones their whipping boy over the years.

We have no idea if any SEC coach said any of this. I mean NO idea! These writers can pull anything outta their ar$e if they so choose, then claim journalistic source protection if pressed. They have a definite financial interest in a salty quote to sell mags. The coach has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by trusting this writer to allegedly not out his identity

There is no solid reason to believe a word of this whatsoever. That being said, I agree with what he claims was said.

I'd be willing to bet the entire set of quotes was made up. I have a friend that at one time wrote some stuff for the UT paper, and he'd fairly regularly make up sources and quotes because he had to hit a deadline and never got around to actually going around campus asking people for quotes.

The numbers are subjective but believe support was much higher than 50 percent for him entering 2017.

Agree on the subjective aspect but I know a lot of people that let go of season tickets for 2017, myself included. Guy is all sizzle and no steak and thankfully we don't have to put up with it any longer.

VN Store

Back