Butch Jones has been awfully quiet.......

It is the off-season so I'm bored as well, so I'm going to over analyze the situation.

It could be because he was getting roasted for his cliche coaching remarks such as the champions' of life.

Butch says literally anything and VN breaks down every word he said. Butch goes silent and VN breaks down why he's not talking. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking the same thing.
When he does finally say something,be assured we will hear about it for years.

Reactions: 3 people
Damned if he does. Damned if he doesn't. The old saying "silence is golden" seems to be working best.

Sometimes I post before I read what everyone else says. Sorry "89" didn't mean to copy your post. It does seem however, some of us herebouts are thinking alike. (what is that saying about great minds thinking alike?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If he was "just doing the job" nobody would mind anything he said or did. He needs to do the job! Pointing to mediocrity as improvement just doesn't cut it.

Well to be honest, that mediocrity is improvement. I don't have a problem with him pointing it out but at the same time he needs to (if he says anything at all) reassure this fan base that although it's a improvement that he nor his staff and players are satisfied. But that's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 4 people
Well every time he says something everybody rips him a new one and criticizes him! I guess he's learned to talk less and listen more....a lesson we should all learn.

I haven't noticed, but then I don't tend to be obsessed about every word that comes out of his mouth.

Reactions: 2 people
When you're whipping ass and overachieving every word is golden. When you've underachieved and lost to the likes of Vandy, people will use every word you say to tear you down. Focus on getting ready for the upcoming season instead of a back and forth with the media that you're not going to win.

It is the off-season so I'm bored as well, so I'm going to over analyze the situation.

It could be because he was getting roasted for his cliche coaching remarks such as the champions' of life.

Just tired of his chestnuts being roasted on an open fire, live and in real time!

Butch says literally anything and VN breaks down every word he said. Butch goes silent and VN breaks down why he's not talking. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Well I'll be damned!

You Sir, have nailed it............:hi:

Usually, during the off-season, Butch has made a ton of noise. A ton of noise. It seemed in the past he just simply didn't know when to tone it back, keep quiet, stop his madness.

Something has changed though. He's almost disappeared from the public. He seems to be a new man. Perhaps more focused? One can only hope. Of course, there are sprinkles here and there of ol Butchna, but for the most part silence.

What's up with this? Are you liking it? Is it refreshing? Is this a new leaf?

I know it's off-season. But wow I'm kind of shocked.....

For me he can't say enough about Vol football. Some want him to be silent to keep from putting his foot in his mouth. I say he needs the practice. The more interviews he gives the better he will be. So what if he goofs up every now and again. Seems more like some are trying to find something to give him the business over.

I'd rather hear it from him what he thinks 2017 has in store for us all. Everything I've heard is they gonna grind all summer and come out balling and if anybody don't like it can go jump in a lake.

They got prove it on the field, but I like our chances.

Go Vols!

I don't think he is any less quiet than last year.

The difference between this summer and last summer is the following:

1. Too much hype on the team last year; kept them in the news and a point of discussion on here even when CBJ was saying nothing.
2. The lawsuit was front and center, which required more commentary from various folks

Personally I think anyone associated with Tennessee football should not say anything, now or during the season except when absolutely necessary. There are folks in the media and on here ready to pounce over analyzing every word - media sessions need to be BORING from that viewpoint - yes/no answer and statement of simple facts - nothing more, nothing less. And if someone asks a question unrelated to football answer with "not of your business".

Seriously as wound up as some get over one word - keeping it simple is the best approach. Though I know that will result with media folks making things up - but then as least one can tell the difference between the "made up - added for impact" words verses what was really stated.

If coaches were smart they would handle the media and fans exactly how belicek does. Keep words at a minimum, to the point, and keep most info under wraps. Cast not your pearls before the swine type thing. Meaning (imo), most football fans and media don't know enough about football to be given the greater knowledge concerning the game. Just give them the very basic stuff they can handle and leave it at that, because they can't possibly understand the greater scheme's and philosophies of the game.

Well to be honest, that mediocrity is improvement. I don't have a problem with him pointing it out but at the same time he needs to (if he says anything at all) reassure this fan base that although it's a improvement that he nor his staff and players are satisfied. But that's just my 2 cents.

And that is exactly what he has been saying - improvement has happened but he nor the staff or the players are satisfied = more improvement is the expectation.

But folks just want to dwell on that the improvement is not enough and ignore the fact that he has also said they are not where they desire to be.

Is there a new culture on the Hill with new AD in town? Has something been said from the top? Like....hey let's let winning do the talking....?

I don't mind the talk. I don't want our players to get stupid and bring up ducks pulling trucks(that may have been the worst trash talking ever), but to speak with confidence and let the cookies crumble, totally fine with that.

I remember JRM at last years SEC media days dismissing the talk from Florida and negativity as it being a waste of air and it was about the grind.

Talk is cheap, they have to back it with wins.

Go Vols!

This fan base is likely pissed at 11-1. I think he got a good sense of that last year. Gonna let them stir their own pot from now on...

It's June, yeah I'm pissed at 11-1. We have all summer, if we can win the 11 why can't we get it together for the 1?

If coaches were smart they would handle the media and fans exactly how belicek does. Keep words at a minimum, to the point, and keep most info under wraps. Cast not your pearls before the swine type thing. Meaning (imo), most football fans and media don't know enough about football to be given the greater knowledge concerning the game. Just give them the very basic stuff they can handle and leave it at that, because they can't possibly understand the greater scheme's and philosophies of the game.

Agree. CBJ has made the mistake of trying to educate the media about football and that has lead them to sometimes ask leading questions. He needs to not do that and not take the bait. They only do this in order to try to find something to poke at IMO.

Or he needs to practice turning the question back on them like I saw Saban did one time and let the person asking make a fool of themselves.

And that is exactly what he has been saying - improvement has happened but he nor the staff or the players are satisfied = more improvement is the expectation.

But folks just want to dwell on that the improvement is not enough and ignore the fact that he has also said they are not where they desire to be.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't bashing CBJ I'm 1 of the few that support him and am actually glad we have him. Unlike many in the fan base and media I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet and I think (could be wrong) he will end up being a great coach for UT.

I look at the "wins" that some others don't, like the quite off seasons with not a lot of legal trouble with our players, the team out in the community helping those less fortunate....you know being the champions of life using those 5 star hearts he got bashed for. And on top of all those GPAs for each student athlete. Truly preparing these young men for life after football.

Reactions: 3 people
Usually, during the off-season, Butch has made a ton of noise. A ton of noise. It seemed in the past he just simply didn't know when to tone it back, keep quiet, stop his madness.

Something has changed though. He's almost disappeared from the public. He seems to be a new man. Perhaps more focused? One can only hope. Of course, there are sprinkles here and there of ol Butchna, but for the most part silence.

He's working like heck...no time for talking

I would disagree with your premise that Butch used to make a lot of noise and now he isn't.

Kiffin was the guy consistently giving the press daily sound bites. For better or worse, I don't think Butch ever overplayed that angle.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't bashing CBJ I'm 1 of the few that support him and am actually glad we have him. Unlike many in the fan base and media I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet and I think (could be wrong) he will end up being a great coach for UT.

I look at the "wins" that some others don't, like the quite off seasons with not a lot of legal trouble with our players, the team out in the community helping those less fortunate....you know being the champions of life using those 5 star hearts he got bashed for. And on top of all those GPAs for each student athlete. Truly preparing these young men for life after football.

Sorry didn't mean to come across like that.

I agree. I want the wins on the field but not by sacrificing the things you mentioned. To me those are more important to the student-athlete and the most important part of his job ... (IMO - I know for others it is only about the wins on the field) ... is helping these young men be successful after college regardless of what career they may choose.

VN Store

Back