Butch Jones critique/support/discussion (merged)

You get punched in the nose enough, you start to get numb to the pain. The only thing that could get a rise out of me now is losing to N Texas.

You guys called it. Congrats... You think these coaches or players felt any support. It isn't easy to listen to everything they heard this week. Negativity has set in and probably will not end well. Make the next coach is a Dooley make over, it may be worse. The only reason we are in games is because of the talent Jones has recruited. Yet none of you will let it mature, we are still weak in a lot of areas. That does not mean we can't win, but calling for a coaches head like most were this week isn't good for the program. He is in his Third season 5 games in, our oline is not good, rb is great, qb is still learning and developing, wideouts aren't helping. That isn't play calling. Offensively we score enough most nights to win, I believe we passed the ball more tonight than in any game yet, the result was worse. We run the ball to protect a weak defense who haven't matured into what could be. Most only see all the star recruits, what I see is talented young men who need time to develop. We don't have that luxury and have to play with what we have. Yeah I still support Jones, but honestly this fan base, I hope he resigns.

To your point, going into tonight's game, we were 3rd in scoring in the SEC. The offense is certainly not the problem. And honestly, the defense played great against Oklahoma until Maggitt got hurt. That loss has really killed this defense. Snakebit, cursed, whatever. Majors and Fulmer shaking hands didn't break the curse. Maybe Mike Hamilton needs to be invited back to shake hands with Phil to break the curse.

Hiring Debord will work out for him the same way hiring Clawson worked out for Fulmer. When you hire dog ****, you're ****ed. Get the hell out of Knoxville Butch.

It was a comfort hire for Jones. His offense is crap Debord just so happended to get paid well to call it.

It won't be this year but Butch is not the solution. This job and this conference is just too big for him.

He is a good person, just not very bright. He had that deer in the headlights look all night. That has to bother the players - it is so easy to see. Get ready for another 5r-7, or 6-6 year this one and next. We will beat the Western Carolina and such. WE have fallen so far .

Reactions: 1 person
I was offered free, great seats for this game. I did not accept. I saw all I needed to see after Oki and FL. I don't even get my hopes up with these coaches anymore. Sure I watch. I'll always be a Vol fan it is a part of who I am. But at this point, I'm just waiting for a new coach.

We have stocked shelves of talent. A coach can come in next season and be top 15 easy. I hope this doesn't play out like it did w/ Dooley-not getting rid of him after the second season.

Remember, there were plenty of morons drinking the Dool-Aid even into the 3rd season. Don't listen to scared morons. This is TN.

Two honest questions, Gordon Gecko: 1. the new coach--who? and 2. will top 15 really be ok, or will you really be pissed off that we didn't make top ten?
HTML:
[HTML]
[/HTML]

I can't believe we just lost to that sad sack Arkansas team. I doubt they win again in the SEC unless they have Vandy scheduled. I don't think depth is the issue at all for us, I think the issue is conditioning. We've broken down in the second half of every game this year, even the gimmes.

I have said many times on this board that we were way over rated this year for the following reasons:

We have a QB who is limited in the passing game

We have a very limited right side of out offensive line

We have to play true freshmen at line backer positions

We have essentially no experienced depth at most positions.

The best players on the defensive line are tow freshmen and a sophomore.

Most of our receivers have problems getting open against man defense.

Our safeties have difficulty tackling.

Offensive plays are difficult to call when you are limited at the QB, WR and OL positions.

On the other hand, the special teams have still played very well , even with some missed field goals. Punting has bee the best in several years.

I applaud the fans who showed up tonight. Despite all the amateur coaching on the boards, Tennessee"s fan base is still outstanding.

That is about all I can say.

Reactions: 2 people
This use to bother me. I have be aggervaiate so much about Tennessee over last 7-8 years it does not even piss me off like it use too. I realize that our players are young but we have coaches that don't teach them a damn thing. Why get mad when you can't do nothing about our sorry staff?

aggervaiate? Must be a UT grad.

Even when the other.coach Butches it up (fake FG) Butch stil loses.

Beliema tried to out Botch Butch and couldn't

To your point, going into tonight's game, we were 3rd in scoring in the SEC. The offense is certainly not the problem. And honestly, the defense played great against Oklahoma until Maggitt got hurt. That loss has really killed this defense. Snakebit, cursed, whatever. Majors and Fulmer shaking hands didn't break the curse. Maybe Mike Hamilton needs to be invited back to shake hands with Phil to break the curse.

Scored 0 second half points against OU. Did we score in the second half against florida--3 points? 3 points in the second half tonight! That's not a problem! That's a huge problem. Defense is another huge, second half-problem. Second half is a problem!

Sorry but this is not Tenneseee football. Butch is all talk. I've seen zero improvement since last year and Butch is obviously not the answer. Fire his a** now and save the embarrassment. He's already made us the laughing stock of the SEC.

Not fired this season, period. Cannot pay his buyout.

Every coach who gets fired has a buyout, and I know we are still paying Dooley's. Competing for championships is pretty good for business, it makes the fans happy, you sell a lot of stuff. You never keep a coach because of money. That kind of thinking helped get us in this mess.

I'm not even worrying about it, he's got it all figured out. They're just going to get up tomorrow and work on it. Case closed, we don't lose a game for the rest of the season.

I still think the first person up to the chopping block needs to be Debord. I think Jones could bail enough water out of this sinking ship to save his job if he throws that worthless sack overboard. It's pretty sad when I can tell you exactly how a series is gonna go before we take the ball on offense.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back