BTO’s South Carolina Postgame Report

bleedingTNorange

1. SEC Champs baby!!!! A wire to wire win, never really in doubt, against what’s proven to be a good South Carolina team that’s style gives us trouble. It was a group effort, and a both sides of the court effort as well, another win in a hostile environment, very impressive stuff from this group. Every time South Carolina would make a run and get the crowd going Tennessee would have a response and it wasn’t just Knecht, great stuff from the Vols.

2. The job is not close to being done, and lots left to play for and much more jewelry to earn, but this as the players said was their first goal and they accomplished it. Tennessee likely had the toughest SEC schedule of any team in the conference when you look at who they drew as their home/away teams, to win an outright championship with 1 game still to be played is very impressive stuff. Again, there’s more to play for still, but don’t gloss over what this squad accomplished and how special they were.

3. You never know what’s going to happen in March, all it takes is 1 bad game or 1 lucky game from an opponent, but this stretch of games has to make you feel better. Tennessee has shown they can beat good/great teams, they can do it at home or on the road, they can play with high scoring up tempo teams or they can also lock down defensively and play a low possession game as well, that’s great experience for the Vols to have gotten and and confidence when they get into the dance. Typically to win multiple games and make a run you’ll have to win in multiple ways/styles, what we’ve seen from Tennessee of late makes you think they’ve learned from some earlier season mishaps and can now win in multiple ways.

4. Didn’t think any one player was outstanding, Knecht was good but not his most efficient night, had a much better first half than second half. Zeigler and Aidoo were good but both could’ve been better, felt like Aidoo missed 3-4 layups/dunks that you’d like to see him hit. Vescovi and James did what they’ve done of late, defer offensively but play outstanding defense and complementary offense, when their number has been called they’re there for a big bucket or 2. It’s now 2 games against SC we’ve seen us struggle offensively a bit, obviously they limit possessions so you expect lower scores, but we also missed lots of close range shots you expect to make. They are extremely physical, to a point of basically fouling every time and assuming refs just won’t call them all, I think it’s a huge factor of why we struggled on close range shots in both games against them. I say that to just mention for March, a slow tempo/physical/good defensive team is likely one this team would like to avoid. Now with that said Tennessee has shown they can get it done, but it still just seems like a style we aren’t most comfortable in.

5. As I’ve said in this spot for weeks, if Tennessee matches Arizona they would surpass them for that final 1 seed imo. Well with just about 10 days remaining until selection Sunday Tennessee has done that, and most every bracketologist currently has Tennessee as a 1 seed tonight over Arizona. Obviously Arizona has 2 games remaining and Tennessee has 1, if Tennessee wins Saturday I think they’ve locked up that 1 seed regardless of what Arizona does, if Tennessee loses Saturday I think they still have a shot at that 1 seed but that it’s a much closer call at that point. Personally I would love to see a win Saturday, I think it would lock up the best regular season in modern history for Tennessee and would earn them their first ever #1 seed in program history.

GBO!!!!

1. SEC Champs baby!!!! A wire to wire win, never really in doubt, against what’s proven to be a good South Carolina team that’s style gives us trouble. It was a group effort, and a both sides of the court effort as well, another win in a hostile environment, very impressive stuff from this group. Every time South Carolina would make a run and get the crowd going Tennessee would have a response and it wasn’t just Knecht, great stuff from the Vols.

2. The job is not close to being done, and lots left to play for and much more jewelry to earn, but this as the players said was their first goal and they accomplished it. Tennessee likely had the toughest SEC schedule of any team in the conference when you look at who they drew as their home/away teams, to win an outright championship with 1 game still to be played is very impressive stuff. Again, there’s more to play for still, but don’t gloss over what this squad accomplished and how special they were.

3. You never know what’s going to happen in March, all it takes is 1 bad game or 1 lucky game from an opponent, but this stretch of games has to make you feel better. Tennessee has shown they can beat good/great teams, they can do it at home or on the road, they can play with high scoring up tempo teams or they can also lock down defensively and play a low possession game as well, that’s great experience for the Vols to have gotten and and confidence when they get into the dance. Typically to win multiple games and make a run you’ll have to win in multiple ways/styles, what we’ve seen from Tennessee of late makes you think they’ve learned from some earlier season mishaps and can now win in multiple ways.

4. Didn’t think any one player was outstanding, Knecht was good but not his most efficient night, had a much better first half than second half. Zeigler and Aidoo were good but both could’ve been better, felt like Aidoo missed 3-4 layups/dunks that you’d like to see him hit. Vescovi and James did what they’ve done of late, defer offensively but play outstanding defense and complementary offense, when their number has been called they’re there for a big bucket or 2. It’s now 2 games against SC we’ve seen us struggle offensively a bit, obviously they limit possessions so you expect lower scores, but we also missed lots of close range shots you expect to make. They are extremely physical, to a point of basically fouling every time and assuming refs just won’t call them all, I think it’s a huge factor of why we struggled on close range shots in both games against them. I say that to just mention for March, a slow tempo/physical/good defensive team is likely one this team would like to avoid. Now with that said Tennessee has shown they can get it done, but it still just seems like a style we aren’t most comfortable in.

5. As I’ve said in this spot for weeks, if Tennessee matches Arizona they would surpass them for that final 1 seed imo. Well with just about 10 days remaining until selection Sunday Tennessee has done that, and most every bracketologist currently has Tennessee as a 1 seed tonight over Arizona. Obviously Arizona has 2 games remaining and Tennessee has 1, if Tennessee wins Saturday I think they’ve locked up that 1 seed regardless of what Arizona does, if Tennessee loses Saturday I think they still have a shot at that 1 seed but that it’s a much closer call at that point. Personally I would love to see a win Saturday, I think it would lock up the best regular season in modern history for Tennessee and would earn them their first ever #1 seed in program history.

GBO!!!!
As always, your analysis is spot on. Thanks

What I’ve seen in the last few weeks, if Tennessee has a lead in the last three or four minutes, they are very difficult to beat. Clearing out the floor on one side and having DK go one on one, is almost impossible to stop, especially with his willingness to find the open man if double or triple teamed and his willingness to make the pass. Barnes also has his “closing” team that he can put on the floor to hit the free throws. Barnes has been masterful in his coaching this year!

Agree that if we win Saturday, we should have a 1 seed locked up regardless of what we do in the (useless) tourney.

Our defense is a strength and it will be more important than ever going forward.

Reactions: Element01
Spot on…it could possibly go down as our best regular Sec season but IMO we have had better overall regular seasons like 07-08 when we only lost 3 games and beat the number 1 team in Memphis to gain the number 1 ranking ourselves. We have had a gauntlet of an end to this Sec season and hopefully we cap it off this weekend.

SEC SOLO conference champs...CHECK.
Sweep Kentucky... currently 7 game winning streak, but Ky needs a win, oh and senior night...
Win SEC tournament.... not for some of us ... But for the players it means a ton!!!!
Get a first ever... #1 seed ...
Win First round game...
Win 2nd round game ...
Win 1st regional game...
Win 2nd regional game ...
Win final 4 game ...
Win the whole shebang...
I am check hungry!!! Bring home 8 in a row and let's go 25-6!
GBO

Was a fun game to watch with the refs letting them play. Tennessee seemed to embrace the physicality. Even though that’s how South Carolina likes to play, you didn’t really see any Tennessee players griping to the officials, instead the met Carolina’s physicality. Big win, here’s hoping for 1 more Saturday.

Would definitely like to see them finish more around the basket, but credit Carolina’s physicality as well. Aidoo had a few I’m sure he’d like back, but was more surprised with awaka’s strggles.

Hard to gripe about this, but think we need to have zz running the offense some more late in games, mixed in with dalton going PnR or iso late in games. Obviously knecht is capable of carrying the load when he’s on, but it’s asking a lot to have him do it all the last 6 minutes of a game like it felt like we did last night. Zz gets other guys involved as dalton is drawing attention, which then helps opens things up for knecht as well.

Reactions: 1974Vol

GBO!!!!
I’d like a win Sat just because I hate KY

GBO!!!!
Great job; most of the Silencing came from Knecht.

Was a fun game to watch with the refs letting them play. Tennessee seemed to embrace the physicality. Even though that’s how South Carolina likes to play, you didn’t really see any Tennessee players griping to the officials, instead the met Carolina’s physicality. Big win, here’s hoping for 1 more Saturday.

Would definitely like to see them finish more around the basket, but credit Carolina’s physicality as well. Aidoo had a few I’m sure he’d like back, but was more surprised with awaka’s strggles.

Hard to gripe about this, but think we need to have zz running the offense some more late in games, mixed in with dalton going PnR or iso late in games. Obviously knecht is capable of carrying the load when he’s on, but it’s asking a lot to have him do it all the last 6 minutes of a game like it felt like we did last night. Zz gets other guys involved as dalton is drawing attention, which then helps opens things up for knecht as well.
In Awaka's defense; his shots seemed to be more contested. After hitting the first layup on the first possession, Knecht missed three in a row, but at this point maybe we expect him to make everything.

What I’ve seen in the last few weeks, if Tennessee has a lead in the last three or four minutes, they are very difficult to beat. Clearing out the floor on one side and having DK go one on one, is almost impossible to stop, especially with his willingness to find the open man if double or triple teamed and his willingness to make the pass. Barnes also has his “closing” team that he can put on the floor to hit the free throws. Barnes has been masterful in his coaching this year!
Unfortunately none of those FT shooters are as dependable as Gainey.

GBO!!!!

Coach Barnes is going for his 200th win at Tennessee on Saturday afternoon.

They just couldn't let a team beat them twice in the season. I don't think they want UK winning at home on senior night either. UT should make it a white out game since they just won the last 2 white outs at Bama and USC.

Knecht usually gets a 6+ minute rest in first half and around a 4 minute break timed with the under 16 or 12 stoppage, depending on the flow. He gets plenty of rest.

One thing to be said about this team is that even when they have an off night offensively, they always seem to bring the defensive intensity which in my opinion can bolster the offensive side of the game.

Reactions: walkenvol

GBO!!!!
Two things came to mind as I read this. First, a huge part of our success this season comes from being versatile on offense. We have a legit post presence this year and, while he's not the most physical guy, Aidoo keeps defenses from selling out on our outside game. Add in the ability of Knecht to drive the ball any time he wants, it just makes it so difficult for a defense to focus on taking away our outside game by extending the defense. Second, IMO, all the missed shots from close range comes from playing against a really physical bunch. You know the contact is coming so you instinctively prepare for it. Almost like a "flinch". That is what I think had us missing so many easy ones vs SCjr. Still, a great win on the road against a team that is one of the more physical groups we'll face. Good to play teams like that and those that operate at a snails pace. Great prep for the NCAAT. Great regular season for the Vols. Regular season champs. Well done.

Knecht usually gets a 6+ minute rest in first half and around a 4 minute break timed with the under 16 or 12 stoppage, depending on the flow. He gets plenty of rest.
I wasn’t saying he doesn’t get enough rest. Moreso I think going to him exclusively the last 4 minutes is asking a lot unless he’s really feeling it like the auburn game. He’s definitely our best option the majority of the time don’t get me wrong, but think mixing in a little more zz creating towards the end of games as well could help knecht.

Great write-up. I went back and looked at the stats. SC beat us in almost every category . . . EXCEPT free throws. That ended up being the scoring difference. Also, it seemed like the timing of our made shots occurred at key pivotal points during the game. Every time they began to make a run, we would answer, and keep them at bay.

Saturday is going to be electric! And best of all, our guys can play loose and just have fun! I think Kentucky is about to run into a buzz saw! GBO!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Great write-up. I went back and looked at the stats. SC beat us in almost every category . . . EXCEPT free throws. That ended up being the scoring difference. Also, it seemed like the timing of our made shots occurred at key pivotal points during the game. Every time they began to make a run, we would answer, and keep them at bay.

Saturday is going to be electric! And best of all, our guys can play loose and just have fun! I think Kentucky is about to run into a buzz saw! GBO!
We beat them in several categories and were close to even in others. Amount of free throws, assists, three point percentage, were all hallmarks of a good night. If our points in the paint percentage and rebounds weren’t abysmal, we’d have won by twenty. South Carolina played a great defensive game, shifted their offensive sets to get Mechie into the lane, and beat us soundly on the boards. We chose better shots, and were very disciplined on defensive switches which gave them fits early. They did a great job getting in Aidoo’s head by bumping, holding and fouling hard. Great team game, but Aidoo can’t let physicality dictate his aggression or confidence. Good lessons learned, but we’ll have to hold space and score in the lane if we want to beat Edey, Bacot or Dickinson.

Two things came to mind as I read this. First, a huge part of our success this season comes from being versatile on offense. We have a legit post presence this year and, while he's not the most physical guy, Aidoo keeps defenses from selling out on our outside game. Add in the ability of Knecht to drive the ball any time he wants, it just makes it so difficult for a defense to focus on taking away our outside game by extending the defense. Second, IMO, all the missed shots from close range comes from playing against a really physical bunch. You know the contact is coming so you instinctively prepare for it. Almost like a "flinch". That is what I think had us missing so many easy ones vs SCjr. Still, a great win on the road against a team that is one of the more physical groups we'll face. Good to play teams like that and those that operate at a snails pace. Great prep for the NCAAT. Great regular season for the Vols. Regular season champs. Well done.
SC got the refs to call it the way they wanted which is you could body the shooter as long as you didn't have contact up high or to his arms. I was at the game and most likely on TV the contact away from the ball wasn't as evident. I was very impressed with how Dalton took the "licking and kept on ticking." He and Stute were in what looked like a football "Oklahoma" drill all night and he never backed down and gave as good as he got. I didn't think my respect for DK's game could be any greater but it went up after that performance.

They play AAU defense. Swipe and reach every chance they get. Bump everybody that goes into the air and hope the refs aren't calling it. If those refs had control of the game we would have won by double digits.

VN Store

Back