BTO’s UNC postgame report (short)

the team played hard but down the stretch they got outplayed...no scoring and no boards in the last five minutes killed us...still wonder why some players were on the bench and not on the floor...best team we've had in a few years...we could be dancing...and,

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Can't win when Lamonte is the leading rebounder with more than double the boards of Williams and Alexander, and 4x as many as Schofield.

I dogged Turner a little bit a couple posts ago. Some jackass on Basilio calls him Lamonte Turnover. I tell you what though, in addition to him being the guy I'd want at the FT line at the end of games... he's also a hell of a rebounder. I saw him boxing out guys much taller than him multiple times tonight. He's also very good at coming up with the 50/50 balls. I hate it that a couple of late errors tarnished his day. Don't forget, he hasn't even played a year and a half yet.

Turner can be a nice player sometimes but he is as streaky as they get as a shooter. 1 for 8 yesterday. Needs to learn to stop shooting when his shot isn't falling.. I'm perplexed why he was in the game instead of Bone at the end yesterday,.

Still missing a shooter that knocks em down consistently. I'm not talking about a good shooter, I mean a shooter who doesn't miss when he is not covered. Every great team has one. With a consistent shooter the VOLS are undefeated right now.

This. We don't have a go- to guy that we can depend on in tight games. Barnes needs to recruit a 5 star wing player and this could be an elite 8 or final 4 team next season.

This. We don't have a go- to guy that we can depend on in tight games. Barnes needs to recruit a 5 star wing player and this could be an elite 8 or final 4 team next season.

Daniel could be that guy going into conference play.
4-6, 3 ass. and no turnovers and an excellent defender.

It seems Daniel could be that guy. I believe Barnes did not want him shooting a lot for some reason in earlier games. Barnes prefers to go inside to Williams.
Yesterday it appeared Barnes took the shackles off Daniel.
He had a couple of wow shots, after that Roy's Boy's tighten the grip on him.

Good coaching and great athletes will win these type of games 9/10 times.

You could see this coming when the Vols could not put them away. Heartbreak was in the air.

Still missing a shooter that knocks em down consistently. I'm not talking about a good shooter, I mean a shooter who doesn't miss when he is not covered. Every great team has one. With a consistent shooter the VOLS are undefeated right now.

There’s no shooter like that in the college game, even Lofton missed sometimes when wide open.

There’s no shooter like that in the college game, even Lofton missed sometimes when wide open.

Being wide open can be harder than shooting in rhythm from my experience. Gives you too much time to “aim” your shot, not just shoot.

We couldnt hit shots in the 2nd half. Thats what it comes down to. We had good looks, just couldn't hit. Its that simple. We are a good team. I firmly believe we are a top 15 team in the country.

Lack of killer instinct late in games against 'Nova and Carolina. You can get away with that against lesser clubs, but when you have the big boys down, you had better put your foot on their throat.

This team will only get better as the season goes along.

Carpe Jugulim

Lack of killer instinct late in games against 'Nova and Carolina. You can get away with that against lesser clubs, but when you have the big boys down, you had better put your foot on their throat.

This team will only get better as the season goes along.

Carpe Jugulim
We're not a team that Expects to win like Nova or NC yet.
A few costly errors late cost us more than anything else in this one.
We more than made up for the talent gap. Just learn to focus and finish.

We had some shots that on any other day may have dropped through. Just rattled out. Those drop and maybe talking about a win. Hated to see the meltdown in the last 3 minutes, but still a great effort. Excited to see more of this team.

UT needs more depth (and length) down low and more consistent outside shooting. They also need higher rated recruits. Coach Barnes gets the most he can out of his recruits, but he needs more talent. KY has multiple 4 and 5 stars; even A&M has their share of 4 star talent (Davis, Hogg, Gilder, Williams, Caldwell, Flagg are all 4 star or above).

To play devil's advocate, the X's and O's advantage that Barnes has on many coaches becomes less of a factor as a game wears on and as a season wears on. That may explain some of the late SEC season swoons and 2nd half swoons we've seen. Let's not put UT in ink on the bracket yet...

To play devil's advocate, the X's and O's advantage that Barnes has on many coaches becomes less of a factor as a game wears on and as a season wears on. That may explain some of the late SEC season swoons and 2nd half swoons we've seen. Let's not put UT in ink on the bracket yet...

Did you watch the game? We got good looks in the 2nd half and we missed them. It happens. Its not an X and O problem. We also didnt attack the glass like we have in other games. Our guys werent boxing out with purpose.

It wasn't an x's and o's problem. As mentioned, they weren't hitting open shots or boxing out. That being said, if they didn't have 2 mistakes near the end of the game, they probably still win. The margin for winning is razor thin in games like this.

Reactions: 2 people
Did you watch the game? We got good looks in the 2nd half and we missed them. It happens. Its not an X and O problem. We also didnt attack the glass like we have in other games. Our guys werent boxing out with purpose.

I watched the game. Much like the Villanova game, UNC adjusted to what we were doing starting a couple of minutes after the break. I wasn't saying we had an X and O problem; I was saying that the advantage we had with X's and O's was mitigated somewhat in the 2nd half by adjustments UNC made at the break and by more athletic players. UT attacked the glass just as hard as they had in other games...it just doesn't look that way when they are going against a physically superior team.

Being an armchair coach, I personally would have preferred watching Bone and Alexander rather than Fulkerson and Turner in the last 5 min.

Reactions: 4 people
A few things...

1. We've held seven of our nine opponents to below 40% shooting. We are 7-0 in those games. We've allowed the other two opponents to shoot above 40% and we're 0-2 in those games. I've long contended that if you can hold an opponent to below 40% shooting, you have a good shot at winning. That has been true in all nine games so far this year.

2. Rebounding has been a complaint of mine for several weeks now, and I knew it was bound to catch up to us at some point. 10 combined rebounds from your 3 starting post players is pretty pathetic, honestly. Rebounding is a lot of times about effort. Lamonte Turner was awful offensively vs UNC, but he justified his playing by leading the team in rebounding by a wide margin. If I am Grant Williams, Kyle Alexander, and Admiral Schofield, I'm embarrassed by the fact that they were collectively almost outrebounded as a group by a 6-1 guard.

3. Speaking of Schofield, he is becoming such an offensive liability. No excuse for him taking 13 shots when he is shooting 41% on the year. He is 14-42 in his last 5 games. That shoulder may be hurting him, but we have depth now. He can sit out if it's an injury causing his struggles. If not, he needs to be reined in. 10 pts on 3-13 shooting, 2 rebs, 0 asst, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 3 TOs. That's a really bad statline, and doesn't even account for the number of bad shots he took to kill possessions.

4. James Daniel is killing it of late. Last 5 games...40% from the field, 46% from 3, 47 pts, 10 rebs, 19 asst, 5 steals, and only 4 TOs. And he's playing really well defensively too. Him and Bone should be the primary ball-handling PGs. Bowden and Turner at SG, and Darrington playing spot minutes at both.

5. We cannot afford the 5 minute droughts against good teams like UNC. We have the talent to play with these type teams, but our margin for error is much less than theirs. We took a 9-point lead with 5:14 to play in the 1st half. We finished out going 1-5 from the field, 2-3 from FT line, 3 TOs, and 2 fouls to close the half.

And then again in the 2nd half, we grab a 9-point lead with 18:01 to play, and go 6+ minutes and only score 3 points and find ourselves down by 2.

Eliminate just one of those stretches, and we probably win by 5-7 points.

Reactions: 4 people
We'll probably finish in the top half of the SEC because of player effort and coaching, but on paper, we don't have a talented roster. The only 4* player wasn't a consensus 4*, and he's a freshman who's not ready.
To be fair, Williams should have been given 4* too.

Stop star gazing. It doesn't always tell the story. What is Luke from UNC? Maye was a 3 star. Half the NBA was 3 stars.

VN Store

Back