BTO’s Missouri postgame report

That being said it took Cuonzo a loaded roster with 3 future NBA players to even make the NCAA tournament. And it was in the play-in game at that.

Reactions: 2 people
That's why he's our coach and not still at Texas.

No doubt.

Here's a look at the results for each coach since Martin became a head coach in 2008.....

Rick Barnes:
08-09: 1-1
09-10: 0-1
10-11: 1-1
11-12: 0-1
12-13: Missed tourney
13-14: 1-1
14-15: 0-1
15-16: missed tourney
16-17: missed tourney
Made 6 tournaments . 3-6 record.

Cuonzo Martin
08-09: missed tourney
09-10: missed tourney
10-11: missed tourney
11-12: missed tourney
12-13: missed tourney
13-14: 3-1
14-15: missed tourney
15-16: 0-1
Made 2 tournaments. 3-2 record

Bruce Pearl:
08-09: 0-1
09-10: 3-1
10-11: 0-1
11-12: missed tourney (show cause)
12-13: missed tourney (show cause)
13-14: missed tourney (show cause)
14-15: missed tourney
15-16: missed tourney
Made 3 tournaments. 3-3 record

I'm worried about the game on Saturday. Really need that win.

I was wanting a split in these 2 games. I thought Missouri would be more difficult, not that SC will be easy.

It's not panic mode yet even with a loss next game.

What was that you said about stats?

Let's wait and see how long it takes Martin to make the NCAAT 23 times.

I don’t know if I would call that a stat. W/L and tourney appearances is pretty cut and dry.

This second sentence is a point of contention with the Barnes lovers and myself. I see a lot of people talking about a HOF coach and pointing at things like 23 appearances. Reality is the guy we hired isn’t the same guy from 15-20 years ago.

Not very different from Fulmer. Is he a HOF coach? You bet. Was the guy we fired in 2008 the same guy from the 90’s? No way.

I don’t know if I would call that a stat. W/L and tourney appearances is pretty cut and dry.

This second sentence is a point of contention with the Barnes lovers and myself. I see a lot of people talking about a HOF coach and pointing at things like 23 appearances. Reality is the guy we hired isn’t the same guy from 15-20 years ago.

Not very different from Fulmer. Is he a HOF coach? You bet. Was the guy we fired in 2008 the same guy from the 90’s? No way.

Correction, it's 22 appearances. Winning and losing are the ultimate stat, and using a timeframe for it is picking your stat.

He went to the NCAAT the last 2 years at Texas, so it's not like he was bad near the end. You can't count the first two years here because the roster situation was awful. He missed the NCAAT one time in 17 years at Texas. Shaka missed it in his second year and only won 11 games.

I agree, gonna need a different approach offensively in that one.

It'd be great if our guards could forget last night and hit open shots. I'd like to see Bone play aggressive and go to the hoop.

To be honest even as horrendous as our offense was against Mizzou, it's not my biggest concern in this game. It's actually on defense. Our defense has been really poor in SEC play and this would be a perfect game for us to get back to pre-SEC form. Obviously my main concern is Silva. He is #1 in the country in drawing fouls - almost 10 per game, scores 30% of their points and gets 40% of their offensive rebounds. We can't let him score in bunches from the free throw stripe while forcing our bigs to the bench. Because the with as bad a shooting team as they are the next best way they score is off second chance points. It could be a long night if the refs get whistle-happy. Stay out of foul trouble and it obviously will help us on the offensive end as well.

This would be a good game to get Walker some more minutes. Will need his rebounding and some fouls to give.

I don't know what the line is but unless someone gets hot, I think this one will be a grinder down to the end.

VN Store

Back